DO NOT ASK US ABOUT CHILEAN CITIZENSHIP, UNTIL YOU QUALIFY!!

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

DO NOT ASK US ABOUT CHILEAN CITIZENSHIP, UNTIL YOU QUALIFY!!

Post by admin » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

o.k., we have been having a problem for a while with questions regarding Chilean Citizenship for foreigners. Thought it might help to post this on the forum, in hopes of reaching a few more of the people that might be inclined to bother us about it.

We published some articles some time ago on spencerglobal.com about how to obtain Chilean Dual citizenship, and have discussed it from time to time on the forum. This was intended to be mostly for information for those making a decision about moving to Chile, to let foreigners know there is a route to having Dual citizenship in Chile after you have lived here some time. When a foreigner does qualify, we can help with the application. The key here is WHEN YOU QUALIFY.

Since publishing those articles, that has inadvertently resulted in a lot of contacts from all the various shady corners of the earth (in spite of trying to block those countries). Mostly, I have been getting a large volume of email from people enquiring as to how to do things like buy Chilean citizenship, and so on. Sometimes they even call. Occasionally I even get a coyote of some sort wanting to dump a bunch of poor people on the streets of Chile.

I get at least one to two emails a day (sometimes more), from people that not only do not qualify for citizenship as they do not even have residency yet, but that we would never represent them because they are nationals of countries that we do not provide services to of any sort. For example, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Iran, and so on. Essentially, any developing country where corruption is so widespread, that it would be impossible for us to verify the authenticity of the documents. We will not provide services for nationals of those countries. Also, any country with a history of visa fraud and Chile, or high levels of criminal activity.Those also tend to be countries, that the Chilean government requires the nationals to first apply for a visa through their consulates anyway. Some have moratoriums on receiving residency visas altogether, and so on. Not our market. Not interested. Please do not contact us.

So for everyone else, if you send us an email, asking about Chileans Citizenship anywhere inside of the email or subject line, and you have NOT been a FULL PERMANENT resident of Chile for at least 4 years, we will not respond. We will no longer answer questions about citizenship by email, and it is a good way for your email to just be ignored and sorted to the spam file.

Only people that have obtained all other requirements to qualify for Chilean Citizenship, will receive a response. That means at least 4 full years of residency in Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

wiscondinavian

Re: DO NOT ASK US ABOUT CHILEAN CITIZENSHIP, UNTIL YOU QUALI

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 pm

I can has link?

(link for these directions please)

Also, same difference if you're married to Chilean or not?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed May 16, 2012 11:32 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:4 full years of permanent residency or any residency?
I think you have to be a permanent resident for at least 4 years.

gato

Post by gato » Thu May 17, 2012 12:51 am

But, in the fresh version of the "REQUISITOS PARA SOLICITAR LA NACIONALIDAD CHILENA POR NACIONALIZACION" (PDF document), under the "Extranjeros en General", it reads thusly:

3. Tener más de 5 años de residencia continuada en el territorio de la República (Este plazo se computará a partir de la fecha de otorgamiento de la primera visación de residencia).
4. Ser titular de permiso de permanencia definitiva vigente.

Does the wording in the #3 ["la primera visación de residencia"] mean simply the first (or "initial") residency visa granted?

That is, the starting date of the initial, possibly "temporary residency" would count, and not the starting date of the "permanencia definitiva"?

ref. http://www.extranjeria.gov.cl/filesapp/NCH_ISO.pdf
The time that you spend reading this sentence could be employed to better advantage in almost any other way.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu May 17, 2012 12:58 am

Interesting Q, thus admin's 4 year PR claim vs. the standard 5 year PR claim?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

gato

Post by gato » Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 am

Here is as I see it, E. We know that one can apply for the PD as early as 90 days before their Temp. Res. visa expiration date. That is, only 9 full months after the starting date of the Temp. visa (and not full 12 months).

With citizenship, as the processing would probably take close to 1 year -- one is allowed to apply earlier than 5 full years of residency -- thus we only have to stay 4 years as residents.

The question is, which sort of residency counts: perm. only, or temp. residency (in case the temp. was followed by perm. residency). Based on how I read the "REQUISITOS" above -- it should be 4 full years starting from the day one's initial [temp.] residency visa was granted. But, I can be wrong, of course.
The time that you spend reading this sentence could be employed to better advantage in almost any other way.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 17, 2012 10:21 am

Sorry, let me clarify. Don't bother US until you reach at least 4 full years of permanent residency. Yes, it is 5 years of permanent definitivo to qualify. Does not include temporary or tourist visas. Yea, you can start the application process earlier, as it does take some time to go through the system.

By the way, that resolution you received granting your residency. Hang on to it. It is a pain to get another copy. You will need it both to renew your permanent residency and apply for citizenship.

I lost my copy somewhere along the line in a move.

I had to file a police report with the local carbiniaros (like someone might sell it or something, even though it was just lost)
Then file that with the PDI
Now they tell me it is ready, but the copy will not be available at the local PDI office for 45 days.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:32 pm

What, once you get permanent residency you have to reapply for permanent residency at some point?

Thanks for any info here....

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:59 pm

there is... top right... search and read... once you have over 12 hours of reading of the forum ill answer if you cant find it.....

john

Post by john » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:12 pm

It is my understanding that, upon receiving Permanencia Definitiva, you cannot be out of country (Chile) for more than 365 consecutive days, at any time. For example, if your Permanencia Definitiva were to be effective on October 15, 2012 you would have to be physically in Chile on October 15, 2013 otherwise your visa would be null and void. However, it may be possible to get around this restriction by appearing in a Chilean Embassy or Consulate in your 'home' country ... similar to the US State Department requirement for resident aliens (green card holders).

Corrections to the above solicitated and appreciated.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Joanne

Re: DO NOT ASK US ABOUT CHILEAN CITIZENSHIP, UNTIL YOU QUALIFY!!

Post by Joanne » Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Evening all,

I'm a British Citizen & I've recently been granted Chilean citizenship because I've been living here for 8 years. I have my own business here, so I'm classed as an independent, up until the new law comes into effect in 2018. I haven't paid into any AFP since I left contracted employment here 7 yrs ago, nor do I want to contribute, however obviously in 2018 everyone will be required to do so by law. My doubt is once my Chilean citizenship comes through my cedula will most likely change to reflect my new citizenship status once it expires in 2 years, however I took out my AFP funds & I'd like to continue to do the same once I'm forced to contribute in 2018. My AFP where my existing funds were have said to me since I took out my money any additional contributions I make in the future will go into a "fantasy" type account where they won't accumulate interest & at any point I can take the money out as I have already gone through the ridiculously rigorous procedure of taken the money out in the first place. So what will happen when I toddle in next time to Habitat with my new cedula in hand, asking to withdraw my money. Can they stop me & say no, now that I have dual citizenship & my cedula will most probably reflect that? Will the cedula show dual citizenship on the back instead of definitiva? Will it still say "extranjera" or will it say gulp, "Chilena"?

Any light to be shed on the matter?

Cheers
Jo

Joanne

Re: DO NOT ASK US ABOUT CHILEAN CITIZENSHIP, UNTIL YOU QUALIFY!!

Post by Joanne » Sun May 29, 2016 8:06 pm

No-one?