Birth of Child

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

ShanePickle

Birth of Child

Post by ShanePickle » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:31 pm

We plan on moving to Chile in late May of this year and my wife is pregnant and due in September. Will our child be born a Chilean citizen and then have dual citizenship and will that help my wife and I get permanent residency if we want it?

admin
Site Admin

yes, and no

Post by admin » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:31 am

Your child will have Chilean citizenship, but that will be about where it ends.

jistoner

Re: Birth of Child

Post by jistoner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:59 am

So I have a question about the mandatory 4 year military service here in Chile that someone might be able to answer here:

1) Does a child of a foreigner born in Chile have to do the mandatory 4 years of military service?

2) If you become a Chilean citizen are you required to do the military service?

3) If you become a Chilean citizen does your Children when they turn 18 (born in Chile or somewhere else) do they have to do the military service?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 pm

I think it would be a good idea for you to go to a military establishment ( regimiento ) in person and ask to an authority to obtain the correct answer. We would be only speculating but please get back to the forum with the answer. Maybe the RC might know??
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 am

I have heard it said, if your kid does "mandatory" military service in Chile, it is because they either wanted to or they were literally too stupid to figure out how to get out of it. There are a million special exceptions, and the military will take just about any of them.

The military has been trying to eliminate that mandatory service for a while, because they have way too many recruits; and, they prefer to focus on being a professional military made up of career military personnel.

Besides that, if your going to have to mandatory military service, best to do it with a military that has not fought a real war in around a 150 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Pacific

In fact, among my friends, I can not think of single case of anyone that did military service or their kids did military service.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:27 am

What usually happens is that the military fill available slots with volunteers. Like many countries, there are less advantaged people who view the military as an option as training for a career. The military can enforce the mandatory bit if they need to but I think it is years since that has happened here. As said, there are a lot of exemptions. I believe you have to be a Chilean citizen anyway. In Peru all Peruvian males had to register when they turned 17 (or 18?) and got a military service card. I don't know if the process exists here. They could all be called up but again, even being a student of some sort (basket weaving, anyone) was an exemption.

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 am

Just a speculation, but they probably do have an exemption for religious people here as well, just like they had in the Soviet block countries back then, where they were drafted but strictly in non-combat roles.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am

at46 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 am
Just a speculation, but they probably do have an exemption for religious people here as well, just like they had in the Soviet block countries back then, where they were drafted but strictly in non-combat roles.
I think they are all strictly none-combat rolls in Chile's military, to the point that I worry about there actually being a bunch of officers and generals in Chile that have never seen a gun fired in anger.

On the other hand, nice to live in a country with that sort of problem.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

David_Bro

Post by David_Bro » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:47 pm

The rough end of this is that if you are born in Chile, you go on the list and when you are 18 and in and out of the country you are pulled aside to serve----like admin says, there a million ways to get out of it but you have to be knowledgable of the routine and plan for it so you don't get caught and respond to the demands of the military----unless there is a ramp up military need at the time you are eligible its unlikely you will be asked to serve

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

This is our experience, FWIW/FYI.

We live in Chile. Son, adopted age 6 months, 1997 - USA & Chilean nationalities. Selected for Chilean service age 18 - one year service. Name on the official list. Recruiters in Puerto Montt said it was the last year for mandatory, then converts to optional. That's what they said ... and we haven't bothered looking into its validity.

For a variety of reasons, including lack of direction and general freshman, millennial issues, we encourage him to go travel and do it a for a year. It's disaster relief, guard duty, and community service. He's up for it. Cool. Signed papers, thumbprint. Fast forward several months to the report date. He's not so cool with it now. RPG video games are fun, after all. He reports for duty on day indicated. About 120 report that day. He's not at all enthusiastic. They send him home, rejected. Something about they have enough recruits, etc. As parents, we are like what are we going to do now ...

So from a first person experience, it's no big deal, it might be optional now anyway, and if they don't look happy about it, they might well get sent home.

As always, DYODH.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

jistoner

Post by jistoner » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am

Thank you everyone for your input, a lot of good info and advise!