Immigration warning in Chile

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Immigration warning in Chile

Post by admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am

O.k., we are getting various reports of increasing immigration schemes being run and advertised in Chile by various either foreign "relocation" experts and/or Chilean attorneys. Most of the following sorts of immigration structuring are well known to immigration and the PDI (a.k.a. FBI / Interpol) and they do watch for them.

General characteristics:
Offers involving some sort of corporation or "investment" type structure that will give you a residency visa that will make moving to Chile easy and quick.

Either they offer to setup a corporation for you (of course you can not be the legal representative because you do not have residency) for an investment or they already have a corporation that they offer to issue you a work contract under it so you can obtain a work visa and temporary residency from the corporation. Most involve some promise of short-cuts around the application processes (there are none), and include you paying the company for "working" for them or some other financial arrangement / investment.

In either case, this is a crime under Chilean law. Using one of these corporate structures for the sole purpose of obtaining some sort of immigration status, would essentially make your first official act in Chile the commission of a felony. It also would most likly open the door to a whole host of other crimes along the way, including things like fraud, tax evasion, and so on. Off the top of my head, just thinking about what is involved in trying to do something like this, any time you step in front of Notary to sign papers, file with immigration, and /or sign your name in an official capacity related to something like this you would likly be committing another crime and actively documenting that crime. That is just the starter, I am sure.

You can be arrested, you can be deported, and you can be barred from returning to Chile.

These have been around for a while, but now they are in particular being targeted to the North American and European expats that simply do not know better. In the past these sorts of immigration scams were mostly conducted by coyotes say bringing in people from Middle Eastern countries, Asia, or sometimes Latin America.

One of the really funny cases we heard of some time ago was the football team that had some 50 "secretaries" on staff. As I recall, they were all Columbian hookers.

Why is this such a problem:

1) It is illegal

2) Immigration through legitimate means does not cost a lot, and is not really all that difficult (definitely less difficult than these corporate structures). At times it is bureaucratically slow, but is otherwise a fairly painless operation.

3) The only time you should need a corporate structure of some sort in Chile is if you are really going to do business in Chile. It almost never has anything to do with your immigration. In most of our cases of clients that have opened corporations in Chile, they need a work visa to work for their own company. Not the other way around. That is how it was intended.

The only reason someone might do one of these fake corporate structures is because they already have a criminal past with a fairly shady history that bars them from obtaining a visa through legit means. As far as I have heard, not even the drug smugglers from Bolivia, Peru, or Columbia bother going through that sort of trouble to obtain visas in Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Re: Immigration warning in Chile

Post by zer0nz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 am

Same scams happening in New Zealand with the asian and middle easten community!

Especially, you pay the company, and the company gives you a job! (plus they actually make you work in the company, so you pay to work)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 am

Even there however, I can see some sort of immigration out of desperation kind of thing going on. I may not agree with it, but I can understand it. Chile is not that difficult, and creating a pile of corporate paperwork serves no real purpose unless you are some sort of international jail cell tourist.

Here is the thing. If someone did that, they would never know if one day the PDI might just show up on their door and arrest them. Imagine a company, that has issued a bunch of fake work contracts to foriengers (and god knows what else), and one of the other foriengers gets arrested. They are going to fairly quickly trace that back to the company, the lawyer, the whomever started it, and then back down the line to everyone else that got a visa that way.

Another thing, getting a "work" visa, takes two years to qualify for applying for residency. It is the slowest way to apply, not the fastest. Even more you are tied to that contract for two years. If that contract is canceled, then you have to start all over again with the clock ticking.

Going the legit route, you qualify to apply for full permanent residency in as little as 9 months after your temporary visa is issued and you can ask for a work permit immediately at the time you apply for a temp visa. Why would you do the corporate route, except that some "expat expert" has essentially lied (or simply does not know) to some foreigner that they must do it that way?

Let me state this clearly.

THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO WORK OR INVEST IN CHILE IN ORDER TO OBTAIN RESIDENCY IN CHILE!!!!

You do not need to start a company, you do not need to buy a house or land, you do not need a job (unless you need a job) to obtain residency in Chile.

You do need to show you have some periodic income or means of supporting yourself during the application process from outside the country. Chile does not want a bunch of homeless bums on the street. In most cases the same among of money or even less, you would need anyway just to survive in Chile will work for immigration purposes. If you don't have that much money, no immigration scheme is going to fix the fact you are broke and can not afford to live in Chile. Likely the same amount of money you are going to piss in the the wind on some complex and likly illegal paperwork shuffle, would have been sufficient to prove to immigration that you could support yourself.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

regioncentralX

Post by regioncentralX » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 am

$500 per day up front consulting fee please or just buy my book.

From a popular Chile promoter geared to well heeled potential expats:
... I also have a service for (usually wealthier) clients wherein they can obtain a visa subject to contract and checking and mutual fund accounts. <name redacted> and I will be posting more about that program soon. Yet another option is to come and get a job teaching English part time, which will lead to the same visa. ...
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:10 pm

zer0nz wrote:Same scams happening in New Zealand with the asian and middle easten community!

Especially, you pay the company, and the company gives you a job! (plus they actually make you work in the company, so you pay to work)
I was building a data center in Silicon Valley as the dot com bust was happening, I had made friends with several Asian (Indian) software engineers during the project and watched as in batches they were laid off. Most had B1 visas and were worried about having to return to India as they were no longer "needed" (ie paying taxes).
I met one for a beer one evening and he told me he was driving a cab. Now comes the interesting part.
There are "companies" in the San Jose Indian community that will run your cash through their payroll dept for a fee, effectively "hiring" you and staving off the B1 cancellation. It gets better, as you give them cash, it is never declared and what is paid back (minus taxes) is a total loss for the company, resulting in lower taxes etc. You go on working for cash (driving a cab, working in 7-11 etc) and look for your next gig.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

Ventisquero

Post by Ventisquero » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:40 pm

MikieO wrote:Most had B1 visas
H1B visas, with all due respect. Under normal circumstances one cannot legally work in the US with a B1 visa.

MikieO

Post by MikieO » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Ventisquero wrote:
MikieO wrote:Most had B1 visas
H1B visas, with all due respect. Under normal circumstances one cannot legally work in the US with a B1 visa.
It appeared to me at the time that the dot com I was contracting with was bringing them in by the containerful using the b1 (b2 b3 b12, whatever)
scheme. If I have the nomenclature wrong I'm sorry, it was the scheme I was explaining.

Anyway, check it out

http://www.immihelp.com/business-visa/b ... -h-1b.html

looks like H1B is the correct one.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:20 pm

admin wrote:.. North American and European expats that simply do not know better. ..
Guess if they spent 10 minutes on Google they would find this site, then spend 10 minutes on this site and they would then know better?

You can lead a fish to water.... or something like that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:02 pm

bump.

Seems there are some people pushing this very old scam again to new expats. I have been getting calls, and wasting a whole lot of time explaining why this is visa fraud; and even it was not a crime, it is just stupidly complicated and expensive means of applying for immigration.

NO YOU CAN NOT FORM A COMPANY JUST TO GET RESIDENCY IN CHILE!!!!!

By the way, the PDI just busted someone a few months back that had something like 250 people all registered at the same address on for work visas. They are actively hunting for these scams, because they generally lead to far more serious criminal activity. Your not going to fly under the radar because your an American or European.

Freedom Fred

Post by Freedom Fred » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:15 pm

regioncentralX wrote:$500 per day up front consulting fee please or just buy my book.
Based on some of the things I've been looking into before my departure, these words caught my eye again!
Thanks admin and everyone else for contributing to an important warning. When my Google searching came across some $3,000 "startup fee" +$500 per person, etc. etc., it tugged at the threads of my common sense. I'm glad that there are people who look out for others that could possibly fall victim to stuff like this. Many thanks! :mrgreen:
Siempre serás más feliz cuando se quiere lo que tienes en lugar de tener lo que quieres.
"You'll always be happier when you want what you have versus having what you want."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:47 pm

simulating a contract or falsifing a contract for immigration purposes in any form is a crime.

you will find signs posted at immigration offices around the country reminding people of this.