Name in Visa written in ink

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

JrH

Name in Visa written in ink

Post by JrH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:06 am

Ok, I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem before or if I will have any problems and how I should avoid them. Extranjeria issued me my Temporary Visa for the first time. It took a few months and all went smooth, except for my name. I mean this is a crucial part of the visa and they seemed to find a way to mess it up. I am a "Jr." in the United States, it appears in my birth certificate, passport, ect. The problem was that the local Extranjeria office couldn't find a way of putting the "Jr." at the end of my name so they wrote it in with a standard ballpoint pen. The first problem I encountered was when I filled out the paperwork for my carnet. It was declined at the Santiago office and I had to get the Extranjeria to make an Oficio stating they had changed the name on the visa and it was official. That solved the problem of getting a carnet but I now wonder if I would have problems leaving and re-entering the country with the visa changed the way it is. The local extranjeria office seems to be quite inefficient and unhelpful with my problem. All they did was tell me that their computer system was "archaic" and they had no way of printing out a visa that could have my name with the Jr at the end, and that they had done all that was possible and couldn't do anything else.

Am I the first foreigner with a Jr. as part of their name? and can I demand them to change it? I'm not sure what rights I have and if they can reprint them or do something so that everyone that needs to look at my visa doesn't think I changed it myself.

nwdiver

Re: Name in Visa written in ink

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 am

I have a III after my name and for ALL things Chilean I dropped it and have no problems at all, Jr., Esq., II, III, IV they don't care. I must admit I pulled it from my passport years ago by special request.
It's all about the wine.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:17 pm

When I went to Mexico for the first time in 1997, I had no passport. I found that I needed it to do things like opening a bank account, etc so off I went to the embassy to get one. This was back in the day when they issued passports in less than an hour. I applied using the Jr on my name and when I got it back, no junior on it. I brought it to their attention on the consul told me, do you want it? do you still use it? I thought quickly and said no. Untold problems sorted. My name was changed. From the changed passport, I got my SS card name changed along with my driver's license.

JrH

Post by JrH » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Thank you for the replies but I didn't have taking it out of my name in mind and I still don't. It's already on every document I've ever had except for this Temporary Residence Visa and changing my name because they failed to print it on the visa sounds like much more of a hassle than getting a visa with the name corrected.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am

Can they do hyphenated names? So your name could appear as John Doe-Jr.

It just seems wierd to me that they can't just type "Jr" on the last name space in the form. Maybe it confuses the computer to have a space in the name. If it is a computer problem, it might accept an underscore John Doe_Jr.

What do they do in Chile when they are writing about Pope John Paul III ? Obviously, the third is not a junior, but it does require a space on the form.

janni

Post by janni » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:24 am

Though I cannot speak from experience, if I had that type of problem I would check with the US Embassy. They provide general information on Chilean visa requirements and understand US names, and may be able to give you some guidance. No guarantees, but maybe worth a call or email...

Address: Avenida Andrés Bello 2800
Las Condes, Santiago, Chile
Switchboard [56] (2) 330-3000
Fax: [56] (2) 330-3005
E-mail: mailto:SantiagoAMCIT@state.gov

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:08 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:What do they do in Chile when they are writing about Pope John Paul III ? Obviously, the third is not a junior, but it does require a space on the form.
Hey, what did I miss? Was I in a coma?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm

O.k. Here would be our recommendation. Use the "junior" part as your third name. Chileans have 4 names. That is assuming you are unwilling or unable to eliminate it. In any case, your official name in Chile should appear exactly as in your passport.

The bigger problem you are likly having right now is related to the written in ink part. It looks like the document was doctored. Ask them to issue a formal correction if needed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

JrH

Post by JrH » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Thank you for the replies, I will be asking them for another visa so that it is an official change. I already had problems with it once and really want to avoid it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 am

WHOOOOOOOO, got zinger of a correction / new info on this problem. We just happen to have a client with the same issue, and we also just happened to be talking to the Chilean INTERPOL office and the Civil registry about it yesterday.

Turns out in their infinite wisdom that immigration recently issued an order specifically stating that "junior" is to be dropped from the name.

The next problem is that there seems to be hundreds of foreigners already with IDs issued using "Junior" in the country, and what immigration had done was add junior at the end as the forth name up until this new order came down. It seems that is not possible under Chilean law to add a qualification to a name. It is possible to for example do "Charles junior Spencer", but not "Charles Spencer, Junior" even if that is how it shows on the passport and a birth certificate.

The poor guys at INTERPOL as a matter of practical law enforcement and under international law if they drop the junior you are two different people. What happens when a father and son show up at the boarder together? Basically you are crossing international boarders under an alias. Don't forget that once you have residency a whole can of worms opens up with being allowed to cross under your Chilean ID in to other countries.

The Civil registry is ticked because they do not have the authority to change it. They have to go by the papers that immigration sends. So they are suppose to send the person back to immigration to have the junior removed.

Here is the real show stopper. The biggest problems seems to be (we are still looking in to this) is it might be in violation of Chilean law as only the courts can legally alter your name.

Overall it seems to be a misunderstanding of the significance, because of where it is placed on the passport and also an apparent violation of both Chilean and international law. Chile is suppose to accept foreign names without alteration.

Well, anyway seems we are going to be filing some petitions with immigration to try and get this mess cleared up. I will keep everyone updated on our progress.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.