Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

zer0nz

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary v

Post by zer0nz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:25 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
itsabicycle wrote: He explained that until you get something in the mail from them acknowledging receipt, you should act like you haven't submitted the request. The comprobante from Correos isn't of value for this.

They told me the exact opposite. Chile: what the right hand does, the left will never know.
PDI takes it to cross the borders.... and not fine you for being in the country illegally... they trump extranjeria... BUT this is chile! and things also change!

peter

Post by peter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:So what "papers" were missing? Did you apply for the Marriage/Family Visa as a common law relation?
I didn't pursue the old application. Too much work.

I reapplied for Temporaria again. But this time in Talca and thru common-law marriage.
It was surprisingly easy. The immigration lady is great here in Talca. She doesn't explain a lot, but she get things done.
I re-applied about 50 days ago and my visa got approved yesterday. So today I went to PDI and filed for the ID card.

The PDI told me to come back with the ID once I get it.

So I am happy. Totally different experience here in Talca compared to Santiago. Someone already said it here: applying outside of Santiago is way better. You actually get to speak with a human about the requirements and no waiting in lines.

I have two questions now:
- How it works when I want to leave Chile for a while? Do I need to file some form or something? (I worked like this with my old residency in Mexico)
- What happens if I don't bring my ID to PDI? Can I send someone instead of me?

moving_from_colorado

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Post by moving_from_colorado » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:34 pm

I have a tangential question to the original question that you answered Charles.

My palola is in the very situation that you described in the original post. She was on a tourist visa but recently applied for a temporary visa. She has the receipt from Correos de Chile saying she sent her application in. So, can she leave and re-enter Chile with the mail receipt, before getting the official letter from the Extranjeria?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:13 pm

admin wrote:As silly as it sounds, the mail receipt from the post office is your proof you filed until you receive official notification.

So, you as long as you get it in before your visa expires, your good.
answered with this post. same situation.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:15 pm

by the way, it is the silly season for immigration. End of January through February. Big spikes in applications, lot's of regular immigration workers rotating out for summer vacation, lot's of temp or knew workers filling in that know even less than the regular workers (amazing that is possible).

So, be prepared for long lines, strange answers, lot's of delays, applications that don't go anywhere until June or later. happens every year.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

moving_from_colorado

Post by moving_from_colorado » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks, we were looking forward to our trip to Argentina!

And yep, I did my application last year about this time and that about sums it up.

brontesauraus

Post by brontesauraus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:12 pm

admin wrote:
admin wrote:As silly as it sounds, the mail receipt from the post office is your proof you filed until you receive official notification.

So, you as long as you get it in before your visa expires, your good.
answered with this post. same situation.
I hate to bother you all, but this is related and totally freaking me out.

My (also foreign) partner lost her correos receipt.

She is currently in visa limbo - payed a fine for overstaying and applied for a temporary visa within the 10 days given by PDI/extranjeria. She needs to fly out this week. We went to extranjeria and they told her that she would be detained at the border and not allowed to leave, since she is not officially registered in the system (visa en tramite hasn´t been issued YET - they estimate first week of March with the seasonal delay). In any case, they told her, the correos receipt means nothing and she is "obligated" to stay while the visa is processing.

Has anyone been through this? If it helps, she has lived in Chile for awhile and has proof of previous visas, has family with permanent residency, has property and a SII registered, tax-paying business. Thank you so much in advance..

moving_from_colorado

Post by moving_from_colorado » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:29 am

From reading this thread, it seems to me the organization you need to talk to is PDI. They would be the ones potentially detaining you at the border. Please update the thread with any new info you figure out.

peter

Post by peter » Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 am

How did the story end?

wardo1234

Post by wardo1234 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:07 pm

itsabicycle wrote:Here are more details on our denied visa application.

We each have jobs in the USA, but we didn't bother to submit Jessi's contract as it is only 3 month rolling. I don't have a contract, but I've had the same employer for over 5 years. We submitted verifications of employment showing a history of our salaries and how long we've been working there along with letters showing our employers would continue paying us while we're here.

Today we needed to clear up Jessi's overstayed visa. We discovered that the 10 day grace period for the multa was from the day the tourist visa expired, not the day we received our denial letter. When asking questions about that, we were sent to the supervisor. He explained that until you get something in the mail from them acknowledging receipt, you should act like you haven't submitted the request. The comprobante from Correos isn't of value for this.

He also explained that for the rentista visa we need to justify why we are here. Just having periodic income and wanting to live here isn't sufficient.
Hello Everyone,
After being back in the US for a few years, Chile is calling me back. I am in a situation now to apply for a rentista visa. I was researching some of the requirements on here and came across this post. The last sentence worried me a little. Does anyone know to what degree I would need to "justify why I am in Chile"? I have the periodic income and can meet all of the other requirements, but I'm not sure if I have more justification other than I love Chile and want to live there. Also, I overstayed my tourist visa once. I paid the fine and left to renew the tourist visa without a problem. Does anyone think this could cause a problem obtaining my visa? It happened 3 years ago or so.