Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

jessicassidy

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary v

Post by jessicassidy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 pm

My application for a rentista visa was just denied, and now I've overstayed my tourist visa by three days. Does anyone have any experience with the paying for an additional 90 days after overstaying due to a visa rejection? The immigration website recommended going two weeks before the tourist visa expiration. Will there be an additional charge now, does anyone know?

jessicassidy

Post by jessicassidy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:18 pm

All is well. They give you 10 days to extend your visa without a fine. The trámite required 2 copies of the following: passport front page, passport page with last entry stamp, and your tourist card.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:44 pm

What was the reason for TRV denial?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

NorthVan

Post by NorthVan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:38 pm

I overstayed by three days (calculated 90 days incorrectly) so a few weeks ago (mid-May 2013) I trotted off downtown at 7am to get this over and done with.

From my experience you need to pay a fine and also extend your visa - it could be I just got an officer who didn't know what she was exactly doing. It was not made clear to me that I also had to extend my visa, so I only paid the fine and left for Brazil for two weeks vacation, upon re-entry at SCL the immigration officer told me that I should have also extended my visa not just paid the fine. I got a slap on the knuckles and after about 20 minutes of “back and forth” she told me I could re-enter but I needed to sort out my visa (this is not a problem my husband’s company has the papers for my visa and it is in the works now) as she had flagged my file and I would not be allowed to enter again as a tourist.

The following is only in regard to paying the fine for overstaying, you will be required to leave Chile within 10 days of payment.

Step 1. Get there early, bring a book or something to entertain yourself with. Line up on the street , then when the doors open you will be put into a holding room, and eventually moved up to the third floor to get a ticket, ask for the tourist ticket.

Step 2. Take with you your passport, photo copy of the picture page, your tourist card.

Step 3. You will be issued with a payment for the multa of roughly $CLP28,000, you need to go to the bank around the corner and pay the fine. I have no idea how much the extension of the visa costs but I would guess you would be issued another payment form for that.

Step 4. Go back to the visa office with your payment slips, passport, photocopy of the picture page of your passport and photocopy of your tourist card. Take another ticket, wait, see the clerk who will process the papers, give you some paper work to sign saying you were a naughty tourist and you overstayed.

Step 5. Exit the country, present your paper to immigration and leave.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:51 pm

(this is not a problem my husband’s company has the papers for my visa and it is in the works now)
You need to clarify this. Your husband's company had already filed for a visa when you overstayed (and paid this fine), or they filed for a visa after you overstayed and paid this fine?

Very important distinction, that people will half read this post and then go spend way too much time freaking out about at immigration, when they don't need to.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

NorthVan

Post by NorthVan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:05 pm

admin wrote:
(this is not a problem my husband’s company has the papers for my visa and it is in the works now)
You need to clarify this. Your husband's company had already filed for a visa when you overstayed (and paid this fine), or they filed for a visa after you overstayed and paid this fine?

Very important distinction, that people will half read this post and then go spend way too much time freaking out about at immigration, when they don't need to.
To clarify, the immigration lawyer made the visa application AFTER I arrived back in Chile from Brazil, we arrived Saturday night from Brazil, I re-entered on a tourist visa and the paper for the spousal visa went in Monday morning.

EDIT TO ADD: To put my situation in context...

My husband is on a work visa, I am (was) on a tourist visa (not working, no plans to work) and have been in Santiago since Jan 2012 doing a hop to BA every 90 days, this was the first time I overstayed my tourist visa. The immigration agent saw it more of a problem that I didn't extend my visa in addition to paying the multa than me actually overstaying the tourist visa in the first place. We were told at SCL immigration (on arrival back from Brazil) if you extend the visa and pay the multa for overstaying there should be no problems on re-entry. As with most things in Chile, take my experiences with a pinch of salt because things change all the time, one person tells you everything is ok, another person tells you the world is about to end.

The reason I didn't get a spousal visa when we first arrived in Chile in Jan 2012 is that until April 2013 we were not legally married, just common law in Canada, we were told by our lawyers that Chile does not recognize common law marriage and since we had already set a wedding date it would be easier for me to stay on a tourist visa and make the hop each 90 days. Since getting legally married in Canada in April 2013 I am now switching to a spousal visa.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:26 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:What was the reason for TRV denial?
It was non long term work contracts, and they didn't include the house rental income they have :)

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:35 pm

zer0nz wrote:
It was non long term work contracts, and they didn't include the house rental income they have :)

.......so denied or sending in more piles of paper???
It's all about the wine.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 pm

nwdiver wrote:
zer0nz wrote:

Yes, inquiring forumites want to know.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:54 pm

nwdiver wrote:
zer0nz wrote:

denied.....

only had 3 month rolling contract in usa

itsabicycle

Post by itsabicycle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Here are more details on our denied visa application.

We each have jobs in the USA, but we didn't bother to submit Jessi's contract as it is only 3 month rolling. I don't have a contract, but I've had the same employer for over 5 years. We submitted verifications of employment showing a history of our salaries and how long we've been working there along with letters showing our employers would continue paying us while we're here.

Today we needed to clear up Jessi's overstayed visa. We discovered that the 10 day grace period for the multa was from the day the tourist visa expired, not the day we received our denial letter. When asking questions about that, we were sent to the supervisor. He explained that until you get something in the mail from them acknowledging receipt, you should act like you haven't submitted the request. The comprobante from Correos isn't of value for this.

He also explained that for the rentista visa we need to justify why we are here. Just having periodic income and wanting to live here isn't sufficient.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 pm

itsabicycle wrote: He explained that until you get something in the mail from them acknowledging receipt, you should act like you haven't submitted the request. The comprobante from Correos isn't of value for this.

They told me the exact opposite. Chile: what the right hand does, the left will never know.