Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary visa

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

peter

Re: Renewing your tourist visa, after filing for temporary v

Post by peter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Well, I hope I will at least get to speak with someone.

Now they stopped using the number display and just lined up people with numbers from 220 to 230.
I hope they will get to 285 eventually. I saw some tickets well over 300 so that gives me hope.

Again, has anyone was ever stopped on the border to Mendoza? What happens then? Will they just tell me to hitch a ride back to Santiago?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:55 pm

If you are not (already) officially charged with something, then I presume that you will just be denied exit and will wait for the next bus with space to take you back to Santiago.

If there is an official charge against you in the system, you may be detained and taken to Los Andes then set free to take care of your problem.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:58 pm

So what happened?????

I would think you are still in the process as you have not been refused, so the postal slip is you ID.

I know someone who spent a long time in process by feeding the info a bit at a time as it was asked for, he found it easier than tourist visa runs and after 9-10 months decided to stay in Chile so finished it. I don’t think there is a timeline on the visa application process.
It's all about the wine.

peter

Post by peter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am back at the house finally.

The lady told me straight, that I am here 40 something days illegal, because my application is missing the papers and thus I can't leave the country.
She gave me invoice for bank to pay the fee of about 27000 pesos.
So I was waiting since 8:30 am till 4:30 pm to get this single piece of paper. I don't understand why they don't let people print this out from internet.
My name is misspelled on that paper. I hope that won't be problem.

I told her I am traveling tomorrow. She told me I have to come early then. I told her I came today at 8:30am and now it's 4:30pm. She said "a ya".
I asked if I can pay it today. She said the banks are closed and they don't open until 9 am anyway. She said she will do me a favor and I can skip the line tomorrow.
I hope she means it.

So I guess the post office slip is not enough or she is wrong.

peter

Post by peter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Btw. We recently moved to Talca, so I called the Extranjeria in Talca today to find out if they can help me there.

They said that they can't help me with overstay as it takes longer than one day in their office to process this, so I won't be able to travel tomorrow.
But they told me that if I want to continue in the process of obtaining the "Residencia Temporaria" I should come in person there (no more mail) and they will help me with all the necessary steps to finish the application. So when I come back from Argentina, I will try them instead Santiago.

peter

Post by peter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 am

I am on my way to the immigration again.
I hope the lady will be there and i don't have to wait in the line all day.

Wish me luck

DPAR

Post by DPAR » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm

I received my En Tramite papers about a month and a half after sending it. Apparently it had been delivered to the wrong address, so a neighbor saw the name and address and brought it to me about two weeks ago. It said what I sent was received. By the time I got online and checked my status, it said I was accepted as a temporary resident. We called the Extranjeria and they said to go there and bring my passport to get my stamp. I set aside a whole day, woke up early and waited in line for a surprising 2 hours. After they took my passport and gave me my stamp. Then they sent me a block or two away to the PDI to register it. By then it was almost noon. I took a number and checked with the number currently being serviced. It was about 150. My number was in the 500s and those numbers weren't moving very fast at all. As the PDI closes its doors at 2:00 pm, it was suggested that I go get lunch and come back at 1:55 to get in before they closed the doors to new entrants. I did that. When I came back at 1:50, the number had moved to 320. Right before I sat down for what I was sure would be a pretty long wait, a PDI employee was making rounds in the waiting room asking if he could help anyone waiting for their visa to be registered. I went with him to a corridor in the back of the station where there was a line of about ten people waiting for the same thing. They took my info and a picture and gave me a paper to take to the Registro Civil, so I could get my identification. They give you 30 days to do this. I went to get mine a week later. I waited about 45 minutes. They took my picture, personal information and fingerprinted me. Lucky for me, the guy who did all of this spoke English. I was told to come back and pick up my ID card in two weeks, and I would be good for the next year. I sent my papers in a month before my tourist card was to expire. I didn't receive my En Tramite papers for almost two weeks after that, so for those two weeks that I held only my receipt for the papers I sent, I was technically illegal. It seems to be a gray area in the immigration laws here, though. I'm not a lawyer, but this is what I've surmised from my experience. I didn't hear any complaining about it and I didn't have to pay any fines, but it could have been problematic if I had needed to travel anywhere outside of Chile. I'd suggest that anyone here who is applying for a temporary resident visa to apply over a month and a half before your tourist card expires. Don't abuse the leniency that they allow gringos here. I'm happy to say that I didn't and my cooperation was reciprocated with appropriate respect and understanding. I was really afraid that I might have problems with this, but it was pretty simple. I don't mean to drone on, but I hope someone in my position reads this and it gives them some peace of mind. I know it would have been a relief for me to have read someone's detailed personal experience when I was stressing out over this a few months ago.
Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It was very helpful.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:57 pm

You werent illegal, just in visa limbo

peter

Post by peter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello again!

I totally forgot to finish my story! So here it goes:

The next day was very entertaining too. I woke up early. I had the paper that said I have to pay 27000 fine. It also said I can pay in any bank.
I went to one bank and they didn't have cajas there. So I couldn't do it. I went to another one, waited in the line for maybe 10 minutes only to find out I can't pay it in this bank. So I went to another bank where they told me I can pay it. There were two big lines. One for cajas and the other one that said "Client Service". Since I was no client, I went to the cajas line. I waited maybe 20 to 30 minutes only to find out I have to go to the Client line. So I went to the client line and waited another 20 minutes. The guy took the paper, typed something to the computer and printed out another paper. But instead of the 27000 I had to pay 34000 now. I guess they are making good money in the bank. With the new paper I had to go to the cajas line again where I was waiting first time. After another 30 minutes I finally got to pay it. they printed another paper and that was it.
Hour and a half waiting in the lines to pay an invoice to the government.

Then I went to immigration. I didn't bother to take a number this time. Just went directly to the room filled with people. Luckily the lady from the day before was there. She was occupied at the moment. So I was patiently waiting. It must have been pretty complicated case because she was with the same client for about 20 minutes. She left several times to do something and teared maybe 10 papers. Finally the client was about to leave. I quickly ran to the window before she had a chance to press the "next number" button.
I yelled "Do you remember me from yesterday?". She nodded, but her facial expression was pretty blank. She asked if I had a number. I didn't. So she had to press the button anyway, because I guess they monitor her performance and she spend so much time with the previous client. The next client came, but she told her to wait. I handed her all the papers and explained she made a typo in my name. She acknowledged her mistake and printed out new papers. Luckily I reported this mistake in the bank and I paid my invoice with the correct name. She then printed more papers, where I had to sign something that I am really sorry to overstay my visa and that I am very bad person :)
Then she stamped multiple papers and handed them to me. I was ready to go.

In the afternoon I went to the bus station to catch a bus to Argentina. I was late. I made to the terminal like 5 minutes before the bus departure. It didn't matter - the bus was stuck in traffic. The bus was hour and half late. There were rumors the border crossing is closed, but no one could say it for sure. The bus departed anyway. In the middle of the night we arrived close to the border. It was closed. No one knew when it will open. We spent the night sleeping in the bus in the mountains. In the morning they driver said there is no point waiting and that we are going back to Santiago. In the line was like 4 another buses from the same company (Cata). Why would they even go there if the border was closed? I will never understand. Luckily they refunded our tickets in the full amount. Rumors said the border it's gonna be closed at least a week because of heavy rain and multiple land slides. Two closest border crossing were also closed.

My sister was arriving to Mendoza in 3 days to visit me in Chile so we couldn't wait for one week. So we borrowed car in Santiago and decided to drive to Talca to use newly opened border crossing called Paso Pehuenche that was supposedly open. So we did it. One we arrived at the border it was quite a surprise. There was maybe 200 cars in the line because of the closures in the north. The customs officers were really slow and were checking every single car. People were quite angry. Few hours in we moved maybe 50 meters in the line. Governor of Maule arrived and ordered the cops to speed things up. Now the line was finally moving. The officer didn't check anything. He just stamped my passport and that was it. I have never showed my 6 stamped papers from immigration to anyone. I have wasted 2 days waiting in lines and 34000 pesos for nothing.

The return to Chile couple days later was without any issues. I still have the immigration papers in my desk.

mmoorrggaann

Post by mmoorrggaann » Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi All,
I have a question very similar to the one posed in this thread. I have recently (one week ago today) applied for a Subject to Contract Visa to work here in Santiago. I would like to travel to Brazil for a week at the end of this month, however i was wondering whether leaving the country whilst my Chilean visa is being assessed may cause any issues in the future. I cant imagine so - the only difference is that my 3 month tourist card will not be the one I submitted in the application - however, the Chilean Visa is more important to me than the trip to Brazil, so I thought I double check. Has anyone traveled OS whilst going through the application process previously?

Regards,
Morgan

lotn

Post by lotn » Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 pm

mmoorrggaann wrote:Hi All,
I have a question very similar to the one posed in this thread. I have recently (one week ago today) applied for a Subject to Contract Visa to work here in Santiago. I would like to travel to Brazil for a week at the end of this month, however i was wondering whether leaving the country whilst my Chilean visa is being assessed may cause any issues in the future. I cant imagine so - the only difference is that my 3 month tourist card will not be the one I submitted in the application - however, the Chilean Visa is more important to me than the trip to Brazil, so I thought I double check. Has anyone traveled OS whilst going through the application process previously?

Regards,
Morgan
My 90 tourist visa days had went up before I got my en trámite papers, so to be on the safe side I crossed over to Mendoza to renew my tourist visa. The issue never came up with my temporary residency application.

mmoorrggaann

Post by mmoorrggaann » Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Great! Thanks for the confirmation lotn. I applied for my Brazilian visa today.