Forum Moderator

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Zvalenzuela

Forum Moderator

Post by Zvalenzuela » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:20 am

Hello,

I will be your forum moderator for legal issues in Chile. Any questions at all about Law in Chile, I would be happy to answer. Besides being an attorney, I am also Chilean and will do my best to help out on the more general topics of Chile. Still in this forum, please keep the topic to legal related issues.

Zvalenzuela :)

El Zorro

Re: Forum Moderator

Post by El Zorro » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Since this is a legal question....

Does the translation of documents need to be done by specific people in Chile, or can documents be translated outside of the country? I know quite competent translators here in the US.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Depends on what you need translated. There are certified translators in Chile. For example, if you need something to go in to court you are most likely going to want a certified translator.

I would also caution that if it is something to do with specific specialty, chances are you are going to want a translator with experience in that. For example, legal documents or engineering specifications. Typically where the details really matter, and a twist of the phrase one way or the other will count.

We have a very good certified translator / interpreter on our team. She recently did the live simultaneous translation of the Oscars in Chile (think it is her 3rd year), and has been the interpreter for the Dali lama and Microsoft executives among many others in Chile. She is best at corporate and contract negotiations.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:23 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of statutory requirements for legal documents, i. e., what the law says about it.

ovahjay

Post by ovahjay » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:07 pm

How does someone in the US deed a house they own in Chile to their child? Both parents and children are living in the US. What are the steps to be taken and how much does it cost in US dollars?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:10 am

It is the exact same process as buying from a stranger, minus the money transfer. If you search the forum and wiki, you will find lots of discussions of the steps involved.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RWS

Post by RWS » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 am

El Zorro wrote:. . . . Does the translation of documents need to be done by specific people in Chile, or can documents be translated outside of the country? . . . .
A shame that no one knows the answer! I don't either but suspect that the translator must be certified by the Chilean government. I do know that that's the requirement in Argentina (some such certified translators live outside the country); it's a stretch to think that laws of neighboring nations are comparable, but it might indicate that I've guessed correctly.

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:32 am

Well, it’s not a stretch to think that somebody knows the answer for Chile, but either they do not access this forum, or they just do not want to say because they have an axe to grind. Translations can be expensive.

zoe716

Post by zoe716 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:54 pm

I am trying to get some information on the Police function in Chile. I am a police Administrator in the US. I tried to email some people at a police academy in chile but the email kept getting rejected. can you help with answers or an email address to someone in Chile?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:20 pm

I sent you a PM with Zandra's email address.