Telecommuters and Taxes in Chile

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: USA

Telecommuters and Taxes in Chile

Post by vinko » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:07 pm

My family and I are planing a move to Chile in the next few months. My wife and oldest son are Chilean. I would like to move to Chile and work for a company here in the US as a telecommuter. The company that I am currently interviewing with has no problem with me telecommuting, however they are a little concerned as to types of Chilean taxes they might be responsible for. What kinds of tax responsibilities do I or the US company I work for have if I live in Chile and draw a paycheck from a US company outside of Chile? Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Can someone point me to the Chilean Tax law that might cover individuals living in Chile, but working for a US company? I would like to provide the company interested in hiring me a reference that they can look at.

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 19966
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile

Re: Telecommuters and Taxes in Chile

Post by admin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:35 am

You don't pay any tax to Chile if you just want to live here and work outside the country. Once you have residency, however you are taxed on your world wide income. That is more or less about 5 years down the line, once you apply for residency. If you just want to live here as a tourist, renewing every three months, you don't pay anything. There are a lot of tax advantages that can get you and perhaps your company off the hook for taxes in the States by paying taxes in Chile because of various treaties, deductions, and so on. So, it might be in your interest to talk to an accountant state side that knows expat tax law. Chile's tax system is much more user friendly.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply