another aduana-fee question

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Magnyz

another aduana-fee question

Post by Magnyz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:55 am

It seems this topic has been beaten around a lot but after browsing through the wiki I still need to ask.

I am planning to bring a windsurfboard with me as "special goods" on my flight to Chile. I am thinking I can bring it as my used board with an indicated value of less than USD 500. The reality :? however is that the board is new and the value is USD 1500.

Should I expect to have to pay all the aduana taxes and IVA on this value or should I be able to just flow through without problems? Any opinions? BTW, I have a permanent residency in Chile and travel from Sweden.

FYI, buying windsurfboards in Chile is a ripoff. Even after buying a new board and paying for transportation cost it is still significantly cheaper in Sweden (and the same goes for the US).

Thanks.
/Magnus

MarkF

Re: another aduana-fee question

Post by MarkF » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:17 am

Magnyz wrote:I am planning to bring a windsurfboard with me as "special goods" on my flight to Chile.
The customs site refers to "Declaración de Admisión Temporal de Efectos de Turistas (Temporary Admission for Tourists Effects)" for items beyond what is considered "baggage" for a tourist.

http://www.aduana.cl/prontus_aduana_eng ... 29.html#T6

Sometime in the past I thought I read something more informative about this, saying it's a form to enumerate all items considered to be excessive for a tourist, and that the form is used to ensure you exited with those items.

That might be an option if they try to tax you (and you intend to take the item back to Sweden with you).

Mark
There are 10 different kinds of people in the world. There are those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Magnyz

Post by Magnyz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks Mark.

I have been looking at this link. It says I can bring "Used sport gear for personal use" as baggage (hence this would be exempt from tax). However if a big thing like a complete windsurfboard (borad, sail, mast, etc) qualifies as "sport gear" in the eyes of the aduana I have no idea.
saying it's a form to enumerate all items considered to be excessive for a tourist, and that the form is used to ensure you exited with those items.
Being a permanent resident of Chile this seems to not apply very well.

/Magnus

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:34 am

It is sport gear. No worries. Chile holds surfing, rafting, kayaking competitions and whole bunch of other things. Stand fast if anyone tries to claim it is anything else. What else would you do with it? It is not exactly a luxury liner, so it does not qualify as a boat.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Magnyz

Post by Magnyz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks for the assistance. I hope I will not run into any customs agent with any "power delusions" because now I am a proud owner of great board.