US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

vamoschile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 am

US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by vamoschile » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm

All,

We are about to have a baby and I was curious if the Registro Civil will allow us to register our new child with only 1 last name like in the US. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

Thanks

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22974
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:11 pm

yes
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vamoschile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:43 am

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by vamoschile » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks for the quick response. All our Chilean friends were telling us otherwise.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22974
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:54 pm

nope. hell, make up 9 extra names if you like.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22974
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:57 pm

I would recommend however a middle name, as they dont mean much these days, that sounds good if it is transppsed in spanish.

my name is for example,

charles david spencer

imy name often shows up in chile as,

charles david

as the second name is assumed to be the family name by tradion.

totally messes with spanish databases.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm
All,

We are about to have a baby and I was curious if the Registro Civil will allow us to register our new child with only 1 last name like in the US. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

Thanks
But why not use 2 surnames? As Charles, I always have problems with databases. Normally I use my mum's maiden name as second surname. If / when you move back to the states, you can always change it...

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8344
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Somewhere south of Valpo

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Jaja,

My name in the States

XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX

my name if I was born Chilean

XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
Que será, será.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22974
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by admin » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 pm
vamoschile wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm
All,

We are about to have a baby and I was curious if the Registro Civil will allow us to register our new child with only 1 last name like in the US. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

Thanks
But why not use 2 surnames? As Charles, I always have problems with databases. Normally I use my mum's maiden name as second surname. If / when you move back to the states, you can always change it...
Yea, i would just say add 8 or 9 extra names. someday when your child is an international wanted criminal, they can mix or match names as needed. :lol: :shock:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1249
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am
Location: Concón

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by tiagoabner » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:45 pm
scandinavian wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 pm
vamoschile wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm
All,

We are about to have a baby and I was curious if the Registro Civil will allow us to register our new child with only 1 last name like in the US. Does anyone know or have experience with this?

Thanks
But why not use 2 surnames? As Charles, I always have problems with databases. Normally I use my mum's maiden name as second surname. If / when you move back to the states, you can always change it...
Yea, i would just say add 8 or 9 extra names. someday when your child is an international wanted criminal, they can mix or match names as needed. :lol: :shock:
As someone who has way too many last names (as well as a middle name), this isn't as fun as it sounds.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Donnybrook2
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:39 am

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by Donnybrook2 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:02 pm
Jaja,

My name in the States

XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX

my name if I was born Chilean

XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
In Perú:
Name, middle name, maiden name, de, married surname.
I think I would beat you by a couple of Xs.

Rhodolite
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by Rhodolite » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:04 am

In Chile, when the database or program simply won't continue without two last names entered, my last name is entered twice.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22974
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: US Citizen Having Baby, Can The Baby Have 1 Last Name in Chile?

Post by admin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 am

I occasionally see my middle name treated as the family name, then they reverse them for alphabetical listing.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply