WARNING: Department of Immigration online web site

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

WARNING: Department of Immigration online web site

Post by admin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:25 pm

I have been getting this steady stream of people sending me emails and phone calls, asking / telling us that they will 'just do their immigration application using the web site for department of immigration now that it is online'.

IT IS NOT THAT SIMPLE!

Just because the government of Chile has put up a web site for applying for immigration, does not mean it is automatic and it works. It really, really, really is not automatic, and only sort of works.

Absolutely nothing has gotten easier in regards to immigration; and, in many ways has gotten harder because their online web site does not working properly. In fact, it is has become little more than an excuse for the workers at the department to not do their jobs; just now, they get to blame it on a computer.

We nearly had to file a lawsuit last week against the government, because their web site failed and a client of ours was going to have their temporary residency application cancelled and be ordered out of the country. The regional immigration department failed to provide an appointment by the time the temporary residency visa expired, but after it had already been entered in to the online system well before the deadline. However, a worker at that local regional office that was responsible for it, went one step further and tried essentially blackmail our client in to waving their rights so as to cover-up their incompetence and errors. yea, that level.

In the course of fighting that, we discovered that particular regional office had dozens of injunctions against them, including an injunction issued by the supreme court for failures in their online system.

They have lost documents that were filed (the super expensive hard to get foreign documents). They have cancel or reject visas. They regularly fail to recognize deadlines that are registered in the system. The list goes on and on.

Assume that web site is just a show piece, and everything is going to be handled manually by a human with little to no education or experience on the back end. It is probably little more than a spread sheet in their office.

One of the more common ones is their scheduling system for an appointment at one of their offices. When use their online system, to schedule an appointment, they are just putting you on a list, to schedule putting you on a list, to make an appointment, that may or may not be made before your deadline.

Again, the days of DIY immigration in Chile are long gone. You might get lucky, but not likely.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: WARNING: Department of Immigration online web site

Post by admin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Let me put this another way.

In all the years we have been doing this, we have never seen an "improvement" at the department of immigration that actually improved anything. 100% they have always made it more complicated and error prone. Sometimes that is by political design (e.g. requiring foreign criminal records for someone that has lived in Chile for 10, 20, 30 years).

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 pm
Let me put this another way.

In all the years we have been doing this, we have never seen an "improvement" at the department of immigration that actually improved anything. 100% they have always made it more complicated and error prone. Sometimes that is by political design (e.g. requiring foreign criminal records for someone that has lived in Chile for 10, 20, 30 years).

Yeah that's me right now. Been in Chile for 10+ years, now finally seriously looking at obtaining criminal records for the citizenship application. Ironically I am currently in the US now for a couple of weeks for a visit, debating between pulling a Missouri background check that I could probably receive in person while I'm still here vs. doing the cumbersome FBI background check. On the bright side, from what I saw at Extranjería's site, the validity of the background check can now be up to 90 days vs. the 20 days it said before.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:58 pm

By the way, I should ask this while I have the chance.... has anyone here applied for (or even obtained) Chilean citizenship with the requirement for submitting a background check (cert de antecedentes) already in force? Are they rather strict or lenient when it comes to what documents they accept as evidence of no criminal record?

The reason I ask is because I see that it is common for private companies to run a check on individuals in the US (my country of origin) for employment purposes, but the resulting document that shows that you have no record or criminal entries (which comes from a national database) is not very official looking.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 pm

Get it through a local sherrif or police department.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:25 pm

So, to be clear admin, a clean record from a local police department, which presumably comes with the official stamp of the office, would be acceptable. ??? For me that would be completely do-able. It sounds so much better than the FBI check which I've heard can be slow and cumbersome.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 am

They pull the records from the same national database.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:03 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 pm
I'm going to try either that or my state background check (in this case Missouri) which supposedly takes just a few days. Thanks for the tip!

papageno

Post by papageno » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:20 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:03 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:06 pm
I'm going to try either that or my state background check (in this case Missouri) which supposedly takes just a few days. Thanks for the tip!
If you're in a real hurry, go to the FBI's website and look for a "channeler" near you. The turnaround for me was only a few days; but travel can be a complication if there's none close by.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Don't forget you need to get the background check apostilled. That was the more difficult things to do for me.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:33 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:20 pm
Don't forget you need to get the background check apostilled. That was the more difficult things to do for me.
Yeah I'm aware. Apostille is actually much easier than the old legalization process pre 2013. I'm aiming to obtain the apostille with at least several days of extra time before having to return to Chile, just in case the people at the state office here tell me that the certificate/background check record I am presenting for the apostille is not the appropriate one.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:13 pm

So today I went to my "local police" here in the US for the fingerprint scan as part of a background check. For the state of Missouri (where I am from and where I'm currently visiting) this is done by a private agency. Even though this agency does provide the possibility of consulting the FBI's national database in the US, apparently this was not an option for me as I was doing it for "myself" or for a foreign government's benefit (as opposed to doing it at the behest of a company that can specifically request that the check include FBI info, for employment purposes, which is apparently more normal in the US). I'm hoping that's not really an issue for the Chilean dept of Extranjería when I include it with my other papers when I return to Chile, but if for some reason they make a big deal about it, I assume that I could write up a letter saying that the national FBI background check in the US cannot be completed within the timeframe that they demand (Missouri's state police phone agent actually warned me against having to go through the FBI if possible). Fingers crossed.