RUT - one or 2 family names??

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Groschi

RUT - one or 2 family names??

Post by Groschi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:18 am

Hi,
my girlfriend Silvana is telling me that life can get a bit difficult if I only use my one and only family name when I apply for a RUT.
She is saying that live will be easier if I add my mothers maiden name like used by everybody in Chile.
What did you do? one or 2 family names?
If both, fathers and mothers, what kind of prove did you need for your second name? In my german passport I only have my fathers.

Thanks,

Groschi

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: RUT - one or 2 family names??

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:09 pm

Our RUTs and RUNs have our first name, middle name, and last name. If you have a middle name, no need to muddle things up using a mother's maiden name which would be difficult to tie back to any of your other documents.

That's how our documents were filled out and all went fine.

Vicki

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:03 pm

So your US middle name turns into the second family name in Chile?
But we don`t have middle names.............. :(

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Okay, yes, that is correct...our middle name suffices. I didn't realize that in Germany you don't usually have a middle name. For clarification, ask the German Embassy, or Consulate, and see what responses you get here. I'm sure there are others who have recently gone through the process and have the right answer.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:28 pm

I don't think you have to worry about not having a middle name. Just use your first and last since that is your legal name. When we got our RUNs, they were confused at first that we didn't use the extra names. The got use to it. They will get use to you having only a first and last name. Yeah, ask the German Embassy/Consulate to clarify things for you.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 pm

My advice would be to use it exactly as it appears on your passport, or you are in for trouble when it come to things like immigration. What they often do is repeat the last name if the data base requires it. Whatever you do, you do not want to inject false names in to the applications. If for no other reason, it will generate a lot of red tape going forward.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:06 am

Thanks for the answers.
I will contact the Embassy and see what they come up with.

And if you say that they are starting to get used to people with only one name - thats great.

j. Ro

Post by j. Ro » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:42 am

I actually had my name show up exactly as it shows on my Canadian passport, first, middle, last. And never had any problems, even all my documents with my employer at the time (LAN) were done correctly.

But when my wife came to Canada, we applied to everything using the Chilean custom... what a pain. In some places they just use her second last name, in others it is both... rarely just her fathers last name.

Jason Roesler
Jason Roesler, AT

PRECIOSA_FLOR

Post by PRECIOSA_FLOR » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:28 pm

I was told that you have to put it exactly as how it appears on your passport. Don´t worry about if you don´t have two last names. I don´t and I haven´t had any problems. When people here ask for my second last name I just say we don´t do that in the United States. Sometimes I get funny looks, but nothing serious.

Like Vicki and Greg said it´s always good to consulate the Chilean embassy wherever you are living.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:28 pm

j. Ro wrote:I actually had my name show up exactly as it shows on my Canadian passport, first, middle, last. And never had any problems, even all my documents with my employer at the time (LAN) were done correctly.

But when my wife came to Canada, we applied to everything using the Chilean custom... what a pain. In some places they just use her second last name, in others it is both... rarely just her fathers last name.

Jason Roesler
Jason, while in Costa Rica I broke my ankle and ended up sitting for hours in the ER waiting to be called for treatment. After two hours, my husband went up with my passport and asked what was taking so long. They said they'd been calling my name for an hour. They had been calling Joann, my middle name (with the latin pronunciation) all that time. Working with the Public Defender's office in Florida I also saw some serious problems with the two last names in arrest warrants, clients sitting in court and not coming forward when their name was called (the last name) and getting bench warrants issued while they were sitting right there. Chile did just fine with the name thing for us as it did with you.

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Thanks for all your answers.
I will check with the chilean embassy here and the german embassy in Santiago when I get there in Dec.

Groschi