John Cobin in the news

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: John Cobin in the news

Post by admin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 pm

Here is the trial today online:

http://www.poderjudicialtv.cl/programas ... frustrado/

I just started watching it, and not sure I am going to finish it.

But in short they are introducing pre-meditation, based on the videos he posted threatening to shoot protesters before he actually went out and shot at them.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:33 pm

Woops, sorry.

They stopped the public broadcast after the initial arguments.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:35 pm

But in short, the defense is admitting he fired the gun, but denying he did it with the intent to kill. Arguing he was firing in to the ground.

Right there he is already on the hook for a couple years of prison.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:09 am

80 percent of the opinion comments underneath saying the sentencing the prosecutors are seeking is excessive, compared to what other criminals get. One points out if it was a Haitian or Venezuelan in the same position nonone would be saying that.
https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... dense.html
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am

Cobin's hotheaded reaction would never have happened if the authorities had been doing their job of maintaining public order. But that's an extenuating circumstance that won't be taken into account as it implies criticism of the system that the judiciary itself is part of.

They can throw the book at him as he is a single individual, probably paying for his own legal defence, he's not part of a "Social Movement" with tame lawyers and Twitter bots funded by NGOs, or even indirectly by the government itself.

From my experience in much less serious (non-criminal) situations, once any public service gets involved in your life here, its generally not for the good. Cobin is a libertarian who came here because he was under the impression that life in Chile was free of the restrictions that he resented in the US. Wonder if he still feels the same way?
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am
Cobin's hotheaded reaction would never have happened if the authorities had been doing their job of maintaining public order. But that's an extenuating circumstance that won't be taken into account as it implies criticism of the system that the judiciary itself is part of.

They can throw the book at him as he is a single individual, probably paying for his own legal defence, he's not part of a "Social Movement" with tame lawyers and Twitter bots funded by NGOs, or even indirectly by the government itself.

From my experience in much less serious (non-criminal) situations, once any public service gets involved in your life here, its generally not for the good. Cobin is a libertarian who came here because he was under the impression that life in Chile was free of the restrictions that he resented in the US. Wonder if he still feels the same way?
Yeah I wonder if he does still feel that way, 🤔.
I always found it strange how liberterians latched onto Chile as if it was some sort of Nirvana for them, where did they get that idea from in the first place?
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:44 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:57 am
fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:47 am

Yeah I wonder if he does still feel that way, 🤔.
I always found it strange how liberterians latched onto Chile as if it was some sort of Nirvana for them, where did they get that idea from in the first place?
Libertarians have always had a blind spot for "havens" whether just "in your/their head" to outright scams. Goes with the territory as I once was kind of a starry-eyed lib and was involved with Laissez Faire City Costa Rica in both the online and physical communities. Learned a while back not to not take one's indivudualized politics or religion tooooo seriously or you end up like JC.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:14 pm

He’s not a live and let live Libertarian, shooting at anyone is not part of the philosophy, shrugging and walking away is......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Oh, please, he was hardly a victim.

The guy has a history of violence both in chile and the united states. Including making videos both before and after saying he was going to shoot people, and he had shot people.

Was at the head of multiple land scams. Some that ended in gun violence with people loosing all their money.

Right wing religious extremist, with racists fantasies of resurrecting Colonia Dignidad.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iKU6GBDHCGc
EJC8MnQXYAMq1Ev.png
EJC8MnQXYAMq1Ev.png (168.06 KiB) Viewed 196 times
john-cobin.png

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:28 pm

I had a chuckle after his defense attorney tried to play the "cultural misunderstanding" card.

Had he fired a gun like that in to a crowd in the united states, in all 50 states, the only difference would have been someone likly would have fired back. It is illegal here, and it is illegal there. His defense attorney in the united states would have been telling him to take a 17 year plea deal while he still could.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Who said he was?
I for one don't have any sympathy for this type of ignorant red-neckery.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:18 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:39 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Who said he was?
I for one don't have any sympathy for this type of ignorant red-neckery.
I am referring to all the morons commenting on emol that he was some sort of hero or is being politically persecuted. They have no clue about him and where he comes from.