Marriage Certificate

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

dmwbmw2

Marriage Certificate

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 am

My wife turned 65 and went to Cuprum to begin the procedure to start her pension.

I assume because we are married and I will be the beneficiary the first thing they requested was our Canadian marriage certificate validated in Chile.

The Registro Civil said to validate a marriage certificate in Chile they needed a Spanish translation "apostillado" in Chile.

As is usually the case they were very vague about the procedure that would result in a document acceptable to them. Past experience indicates they will normally look hard to find a reason to reject whatever document you have.

To my knowledge, Canada and Chile do not yet have an agreement to accept the apostil procedure, so this is the first big flaw I see in this information.

Does anybody know what the proper procedure is to get an acceptable marriage certificate that the Registro Civil can use to issue a Chilean document.

I currently have the original certificate here in Chile.

Unfortunately I suspect the closest Chilean consulate will be involved in this process, Vancouver area for a BC marriage.

Putenio

Re: Marriage Certificate

Post by Putenio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:02 am

FWIW/FYI

Our USA marriage certificate has all the stamps, seals, and ribbons for legal status in Chile from back in the day (1990) but we came up against that vague interpretation of what would be acceptable now with unspecified results. Our solution: Get married in Chile. Seems to me it was $10.000 CLP, had to sign up a month in advance in Puerto Montt - not worried about time or date - and turned it into an excuse for a party. Simple process, passport, carnet, and they could care less that we are already married. Our children, including our daughter, we adopted in Chile (1998), now 22 showed up as a "testigo." Problem solved.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:12 am

An interesting solution, which i will seriously consider.

bow26

Post by bow26 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:53 am

The alternative is a painful day or 2 spent at various addresses in the centre going back and forth between various offices getting stamps and just when you think you are done its go to agustinas 123456789 and pay 511 pesos and get another stamp, a race against time to get it all done by 2pm or you have to come back tomorrow to finish the process!!! The wine bill alone after thirst will set you back more than 10k pesos

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 pm

I got a quote from a Canadian company to get an original authenticated and legalized at the embassy and the price was bearable and the time was under 3 weeks. But they didn't translate and the Registro says they need it in Spanish. Is it correct that you need to take the authenticated legalized document in English to an accredited translator in Chile and then get it legalized again in Extranjeria?

And in this case is it only in Santiago this can be done? (I think they burned down the Extranjeria in Concepcion where I live.)

Getting married again is looking more attractive.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Make it a memorable proposal (and have a party)!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pm

I think Spanish is one of the languages you can get a BC marriage license in, I know French, Chinese and Hindi are available and I think there are other languages available.
It's all about the wine.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:33 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 am
My wife turned 65 and went to Cuprum to begin the procedure to start her pension.

I assume because we are married and I will be the beneficiary the first thing they requested was our Canadian marriage certificate validated in Chile.

The Registro Civil said to validate a marriage certificate in Chile they needed a Spanish translation "apostillado" in Chile.

As is usually the case they were very vague about the procedure that would result in a document acceptable to them. Past experience indicates they will normally look hard to find a reason to reject whatever document you have.

To my knowledge, Canada and Chile do not yet have an agreement to accept the apostil procedure, so this is the first big flaw I see in this information.

Does anybody know what the proper procedure is to get an acceptable marriage certificate that the Registro Civil can use to issue a Chilean document.

I currently have the original certificate here in Chile.

Unfortunately I suspect the closest Chilean consulate will be involved in this process, Vancouver area for a BC marriage.
Wait so Canada's not a party to the Hague Convention for apostilles? Ouch.

Legalization then is the only option.....I'm not Canadian so I don't know about all the levels of authority involved in issuing a marriage certificate from there, but I can tell you my experience from legalizing my US university diploma before Chile was a party to the Hague Convention and just required apostilles.

In 2013 my degree was signed by the local public notary (Orange County CA), then validated by the California Secretary of Education, and then finally by the Chilean consulate in Los Angeles. Basically these steps were the hard part, as it required moving the document around between different offices/authorities and since I was already here in Chile then would have been tough to do if no one is there in the document's country of origin (my mom, who lives in a different state, sent my diploma back and forth between her address and these different offices, which takes up time and there's always the risk of it getting lost in the mail).

Once it gets to Chile there's only 1 step, which is getting the signature of someone from the office of the Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, which is located behind La Moneda (Teatinos I think is the street). If you need to get an official translation, that's a separate service but in the very same office. I got my diploma legalized "for fun" (just for future use at that time) so I did not choose to get the translation; I think there's a cost associated but I don't know what it is. Since that time I have also gotten my high school diploma and grades apostilled, and that was an easier process post 2016 (just 1 signature in the respective US state and the same signature from Relaciones Exteriores here in Chile).

The whole legalization process is certainly doable, but if you want to save time I could see why you would choose to just simply get legally married here. Good luck!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Friends went the 'get married again in Chile" route. They had grown kids. Worth investigating. Definitely cheaper.

lmkwia

Post by lmkwia » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:44 pm

I got married again in Chile in 2018 because getting a translated/notarized marriage certificate was just too complicated. I went to the registro civil in Las Condes on Tuesday to see if I could make an appoinment, took the earliest date available, got married on Saturday in a restaurant in Las Condes - I paid about 30000 or 40000 because we didnot do it in their office and I think it is almost free of charge if you do it in their office. They don't check your marital status in another country and this is very very strange - It took me 6 months to marry my husband in my country because they had to check his civil status in his country first before registering us as a married couple.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Again just to emphasize, the apostille process is relatively painless and short, so if that were an option I would say you don't need to feel obligated to get legally married here, but from what I see Canada really isn't part of the convention and doesn't offer apostilles (very surprising to me), so it's up to you. The full blow legalization process is not expensive in monetary terms, but it does take time and it's especially a hassle if you (and your document) are already here and getting the documents moved around with all the signatures in its country of origin cannot be done back home by a relative or friend. It's up to you, but best of luck either way!