Diesel vs Gasoline In Chile

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

vamoschile

Diesel vs Gasoline In Chile

Post by vamoschile » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:51 am

New to Chile and looking at buying a vehicle. I was curious what you all would recommed when it comes to vehicle brand and motor. Being from the states the majority of people driving diesel trucks are construction workers or ranchers. Because of this everyone in the states for the most part pushes you away from owning a diesel because mechanics are more expensive and parts are more expensive. Its also more difficult to find a good diesel mechanic. Chile seems to have a lot more diesels and I have a few questions.

1. Is it noticably more expensive to maintain a diesel in Chile simmilar to the states?
2. I imagine finding a good mechanic is difficult anyways in Chile but does owning a diesel make it even more diffiuclt?
3. What would you all get diesel or gasoline all things being the same in Chile? Would living in a rural town need to be taken into consideration?
4. Are finding diesel parts more difficult in Chile?
5. What are your thoughts of Peugots? Would you say they are as good as Hyundai?

Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: Diesel vs Gasoline In Chile

Post by admin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:06 am

I have a gas Toyota jeep and a diesel Hyundai SUV.

The hyundai is way cheaper to drive and maintain. My Toyota i am convinced is using gas right now, parked in my driveway with the engine off.

The only real downside to the diesel in a car, when you need to pass, the acceleration is just not there. I have learned to punch the accelerator, count to 3, and then pull out to pass. possibly with a stick it would be a little more snappy, and they have made some progress with turbos and such in diesel cars.

diesel engines are simply going to need less maintenance and repair, assuming it was a relatively good design to start with. never had a problem finding a mechanic to work on it, but then also I don't let anyone but my own mechanic touch my cars. plenty of diesel mechanics in chile. all those pickups you see are mostly diesel.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mem

Post by mem » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:31 am

Diesel for sure. I have a v6 diesel and v6 gas. I have no problems passing in the diesel. Passing may be more difficult in a 4 cylinder, not sure if the Hyundai suv is 4 or not but that may be the issue.

I really appreciate the cheaper diesel prices and better availability.

If you want to save money the south Korean brands like Kia and Hyundai are good choices particularly the SUVs so you can have 4x4

For a truck I'd recommend the mitsubishi l200 or nissan np300. Do not get a nissan navara... they snap in half and alot are on the market. But the np300 has none of those problems. The Toyota hilluxes are popular but I have steerred away from them becasue many of the model years have an unintended acceleration problem that was never fully resolved but some people with toyotas dont have this problem.
Also with trucks be wary of red trucks...often they are ex mining trucks and really beat up.

The Peugeot diesel cars are probably one of the best values in cars (insane good mileage)particularly if you want a diesel automatic but living rural you will almost certainly want an suv with more ground clearance.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:47 am

I would say stay away from the red trucks if you don't know what you are looking at.

the trucks are red because they are required to be red on a commercial site for high visibility safety reasons; does not mean all red trucks are ming trucks. a lot of rental trucks are red so they can rent to commercial operations. they means everything from mining to salmon industry and logging.

there is a myth in chile that red trucks are rusted out because they were all mining trucks in chile. It comes from about 20 years ago, there was a point in which the truck manufacturers used low quality under body protection causing premature rust. thousands of vehicles were replaced all over the world, including under a class action lawsuit in the states, related to it. the vast majority were never used in mining or even seen a dirt road, and very few were red. just salt on the roads and being near the ocean would do it.

That was fixed in most trucks at least 10 years ago.

what you do have to watch out for is fleet vehicles that were just overall abused. the big companies however now roll over there fleets, often using the auction, every few years. typically not sufficient use to do any real permanent damage. thus, all the red trucks with less than about 100,000 km on the dial, and less than 4 years. basically they replace them as the warranty is expiring.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:48 pm

If I bought a vehicle at the remate my assumption is the calculations on the final price would be the following. Lets assume I won a bid on a vehicle for 5,200,000. I would then have to pay the commission of 10.5% which bring my price to 5,746,000. Then ontop of this I have to pay the IVA on both the commission and vehicle price which is an addition 17% bringing my total price to 6,722,820. Then the other transfer fees apply to change the title. Please let me know if I have got this correct?

proger

Post by proger » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:03 pm

interesting topic.

im also looking to buy diesel SUV around 10,000,000(hopefully lots less..)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:14 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:48 pm
If I bought a vehicle at the remate my assumption is the calculations on the final price would be the following. Lets assume I won a bid on a vehicle for 5,200,000. I would then have to pay the commission of 10.5% which bring my price to 5,746,000. Then ontop of this I have to pay the IVA on both the commission and vehicle price which is an addition 17% bringing my total price to 6,722,820. Then the other transfer fees apply to change the title. Please let me know if I have got this correct?
yea, that is probably pretty close to the total when it is all said and done.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:15 pm

not sure on the comission. I have not looked recently at them.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:04 am

vamoschile wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:48 pm
Yup, so that 5.2 million vehicle when all said and done turns into a 7 million one (iva 19percent btw)
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Try again....
macal.pdf.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

mikecdw

Post by mikecdw » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:48 pm

We bought a 2015 Mahindra Scorpio, which comes with a diesel engine and it's been great, with minimal maintenance issues so far. Acceleration is no problem thanks the turbo charger. Diesel fuel is significantly cheaper than gasoline here in Chile

There are a couple issues though:
1) if the turbo charger has been running, you have to wait 60 seconds before turning the engine off to let it cool down. Our car came with an electronic timer that keeps the engine running for a minute after turning the key off. This happens whether or not the turbo charger has been running.
2) The DPF.... The Scorpio comes from the factory with computer programming that throws your car into "limp home" mode when the Diesel Particulate Filter gets too far clogged. The only way to clear it is take it to somebody who has the equipment to reset the error. The DPF itself can be unclogged if you run the car at highways speeds for 20 minutes or so, but that won't reset the limp home mode. There are places that can fix this annoyance by updating the the firmware in the ECU.

I would guess these 2 issues are common to other diesel engine powered cars also.
--
Mike W.
La Serena

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:33 am

you can get the computer OBD-ll readers now off amazon. Think I payed like $30 for the one I have, it is bluetooth, works with my phone, and can simply be left plugged in to gather longterm stats on the performance of the car. lots of software out there for it. the one i got will project an image of the stats up on to the windshield as i am driving to see real time performance of various sensors.

In fact I did run it on my brother in laws mahindra when he had a problem. it took me a bit to figure out there was no mahindra listed in the software database, but the motor was a Bosch diesel motor that was listed. it immidiatly reported fuel filter was dirty. I did not need to reset it after changing the filter, so never tried. it would probably do it.

a friend was shopping for a used car, and borrowed it. he plugged it in to the cars he was looking at to get all sorts of data on the history of the car. some cars will even show you their maintenance history like oil changes and such. But if there is some sort of attempt to say paper over a failing motor or other major problem, it will be hard to hide it from the sensors. the readings will just be very off. most of your grease monkey mechanics will not know how to falsify such readings. pretty advanced technical knowledge.

he said the most useful sensor however, was just watching how nervous the seller got when he asked if he could plug it in.