visa for paid internship

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Jolly

visa for paid internship

Post by Jolly » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Hello everyone,

unfortunately I have some problem for which I could not find any suitable thread in this forum so far.

The problem is as follows:

I am a student in Germany and I want to do an internship in Chile starting in september. Luckily (or maybe I am not so lucky after all) I got something nice and they want to pay me for it. So I asked the embassy in Germany what kind of visa I needed and I managed to get all the stuff they want except for an notarial confirmed invitation from that company in Chile. But they have not managed to send this one yet and if not by some magic wonder an owl carries it trough my window in the next days I think it is too late to get my visa in time. The supposed duration is 4-6 weeks.

So I come to the conclusion that I should apply for it in Chile directly. So what do you think would be best? Is a "visa sujeta en contrato"?

What I do not exactly understand is how I get the possibility to work with the visa while it is still being worked at (en tramité). Do I need to fill in another blank? Do I need to go to some other government institution in my restrict (because I am not going to work in Santiago) in order to get it?

And let us assume my visa is finally granted (which takes about 2-3 months if my information is right) how much time do I have to get to Santiago and gather it?

What about the RUT? I can get it with the tourist visa but is there anything else to do about it when I get the visa granted?

Maybe someone of you got some answers or some other considerable piece of advice. I would be very thankful about any information you can give me,

Jolly

admin
Site Admin

Re: visa for paid internship

Post by admin » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:42 pm

I think I understand your problem.

1. Ignore the embassy. Come to Chile, getting your regular tourist card visa at the airport as you come in.

2. Get your contract signed and notarized in Chile with the company.

3. Mail it in to immigration application for your work visa. Once it is in the mail, you are good until it comes back. Yes, sometimes they do not come back before the job is over.

To tell you the truth, If this is a real "internship" and no one is paying you any money then I would not bother doing anything but keeping your tourist visa up to date while you are in Chile. Your a tourist.

Often "internship" is a code word around the World for we are going to pay you nothing, dodge the labor laws, while working you far harder than someone under contract. So, just be careful.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Jolly

Post by Jolly » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:29 am

Many thanks for your answer.

At first I was planning to stay in Chile with a tourist visa because I heard it is no trouble as long as you are getting no pay for an internship.

But since this chilean company wants to pay me and wants me to obtain a proper visa and a RUT (but apart from that they are offering me very little advice on how to arrange everything) I can not do with simply a tourist visa. In Germany the embassy wants to give me some internship visa which is kind of an temporary visa but on the homepage of the extranjeria I could not find anything which seems to be exactly that one they wanted to give me here. So I thougt it might be possible to just forget the whole internship thing and apply für a normal work visa.

There is one more question I have and it is what income taxes I need to pay. I could not find any absolutely reliable information about special taxes for foreigners. Somewhere I read that I will need to pay normal income taxes and a foreigner tax which is 20% for individuals. Does somebody know this to be true?

Best greetings,

Jolly

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:47 am

Either way, the procedures are the same. Especially the part about the Chilean Embassy. They are notorious for getting the paperwork wrong.

1. Ignore the embassy. Come to Chile, getting your regular tourist card visa at the airport as you come in.

2. Get your contract signed and notarized in Chile with the company.

3. Mail in the immigration application for your work visa. Once it is in the mail, you are good until it comes back. Yes, sometimes they do not come back before the job is over.

If you are in Santiago you mail it in. In other cities you may need to go to the immigration office.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.