Philanthropy Starting In Chile

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

questionsasked

Re: Philanthropy Starting In Chile

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Yes, I speak, write and read Spanish. But I don't like the Spanish language. I consider it a language of colonial oppression. I like the way Chileans speak Spanish, though. They use Spanish very creatively.

To suggest that I am not qualified to help other humans because I am not Chilean simply falls short of what we can do for each other as humans.

This is why I complain about expats: They want the best meat for themselves and they don't give back to Chileans, just take advantage of the fact that most Chileans live below a standard of living that is comfortable. Chileans are NOT comfortable, they are struggling, but they also live above the poverty line. At the same time, expats and Chilean elitists who are western educated are running the country WITHOUT giving back to the great Chilean people. I feel that is wrong and should be firmly stood against.

I'll say it again. My philanthropy seeks to raise the standard of living for Chileans. We will start with home renovations and local food systems.

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:22 pm

none
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Sorry, "hon." You have a very negative attitude. That's a shame.

I think YOU are living in some alternate reality and maybe aren't even Chilean, just posing as a Chilean on this forum. You don't want the best for others, you would rather look down on them and say negative things and try to discourage them from improving their lives. That's a sad way to live, Gloria.

If you haven't noticed, Valdivia benefits from a well-funded university system and the standard of living there is higher than in most rural areas because student money is pumped into your town. No questions that college towns like Valdivia have more money floating around.

But not Osorno, Puerto Montt, Futrono, Entre Lagos and other out of the way places where most of the population is still struggling.

Maybe you don't know many Chileans outside of Valdivia and so you are limited in your understanding of how a couple outside of Pucon could be living with holes in the roof, a half built front porch to keep the water out and a stove that smokes the inside of the house. Maybe you can't imagine this because you are living in a wealthy city. Again, you have a negative way of looking at the world and other people and you should be called out for it.

Have a nice day.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:40 pm

nah.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Trump's your hero?

Enough said.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:59 pm

You never answered my question.......and all the talk of strong family values and philanthropists........is GOD involved?

What have I done? So far 5 Univercity degrees, give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man to fish feed him for life....

If someone doesn't have the wherewithal to get up on the roof and fix a hole, I would run in the opposite direction......
It's all about the wine.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Sorry, I didn't see your question earlier. What have you done for Chileans is my question.

Is God involved? God is always involved, but my philanthropy does not follow a religion. Religion is not what we practice. Does that answer your question?

I think that people in southern Chile have home insulation problems that are more than just leaky rooftops. That's what I'm talking about. Making homes comfortable in southern Chile will take education and a program that donates materials to people who want to improve their homes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:54 pm

You know my first thought about this thread was, 'let them be, someone will take their money'.

Then I realized it was me.

On behalf of the shareholders of Sodimac, I thank you for your donation.

:lol:

Just in case you are not able to reinvent the wheel (or the house), you might want to do some homework about Chile.

These nice people actually have a well known track record. I have actually seen them building houses, every place you listed and beyond. We use to coordinate logistics together after the 2010 earthquake. They are fast, efficient, and know how to get things done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TECHO

and guess what?

It is a Chilean organization, now building houses all over latin america.

My advice. Send those nice people a check. They will know what to do with it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:15 pm

Britkid wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:32 pm
It's a commendable attitude to want to help others. Good for you.

One thing I would like to say is that Chile is not that poor a country and therefore the community and the government will already be able to take care of themselves to a large extent.

So if you want to spend a few thousand dollars to improve the life of a poor Chilean you might say give them a new roof and now they have better insulation and don't have a leaky roof. But if you spend the same few thousand dollars in sub-saharan African on malarial bednets, you might save a person's life. If you spend a few thousand dollars on handing out medications in a very poor country, you might greatly reduce the suffering a person has.

In Chile, it's going to be much harder to find examples of where you can save a life or massively improve a person's life for a few thousand dollars. Most such opportunities will already have been taken care of by the government, family members, or communities.

I do give money to local charities, but I give the majority of my modest donations to the most effective (known) global ones.

https://www.givewell.org/charities/top-charities

Of course, any charity donations are commendable.

If you're rich, and especially if you are very rich, it may be more helpful to give money than time.
Assuming OP isn't trolling, this is the correct answer. Sure to how diminishing returns work, you're better off donating to a poorer country in order to get the most benefit for your buck.

Chile is arguably the most solid country in Latin America and Chileans have lots of "bonos' to back them up in case things go bad.

mem

Post by mem » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 am

Questionsasked - I am just curious why you are targeting chile? Is it because you happened to have visited Chile? Is that the only reason?
If you had visited Ecuador or Paraguay would you be targeting those countries for philanthropy?

You do realize Chile is the richest nation per capita in South America right?

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:54 pm
You know my first thought about this thread was, 'let them be, someone will take their money'.

Then I realized it was me.

On behalf of the shareholders of Sodimac, I thank you for your donation.

:lol:

Just in case you are not able to reinvent the wheel (or the house), you might want to do some homework about Chile.

These nice people actually have a well known track record. I have actually seen them building houses, every place you listed and beyond. We use to coordinate logistics together after the 2010 earthquake. They are fast, efficient, and know how to get things done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TECHO

and guess what?

It is a Chilean organization, now building houses all over latin america.

My advice. Send those nice people a check. They will know what to do with it.
TECHO looks good. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:13 pm

I just looked into TECHO and found this written about it on the internet:

--------------------------

Hi Diego:

I am interested in what Techo is doing, but I have issues with your approach.  Why would wealthier Americans think that by spending a couple of days with a family in an underdeveloped part of the world -- that they would be significantly helping that family?

Techo is building shacks and calling them homes.  I find that very offensive.  Why?  Because when a volunteer group spends $50,000 USD on getting to the underdeveloped location for home building -- the family that receives the shack building services doesn't get that money at all.  

Instead, tell the volunteers from Akron, Ohio to stay home and be a part of a Techo building team and they can DONATE the money they would have spent on GOING to a Techo site -- to build a house 5 times better than the shacks that you are throwing up in various countries.

To stand up for people living in poverty, you have to give them more than just particle board homes and wealthy volunteers who pat themselves on their backs for building a crappy dwelling for some poverty-stricken people in a foreign country.

Techo could and should do better.

- Alexis Rodriguez, Los Angeles