Philanthropy Starting In Chile

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

questionsasked

Philanthropy Starting In Chile

Post by questionsasked » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:32 am

Hi All,

One thing I found very frustrating the first time I lived in Chile was the lack of expat interest in helping Chileans upgrade their standard of living.

That's why I am bringing a group of philanthopists from the States to finance home renovations and other community projects that help Chileans live a higher quality of life.

It was so discouraging listening to expats complain about how Chileans were ignorant, not nice and so on. I look at it this way: It's their country, not mine. The US totally messed up Chile for more than a generation and it's time to give back, really genuinely help the Chilean people without judging them and respecting their sovereign right to have their country their own way.

I can't stand expats who look at Chile as some kind of dumping ground for their sexual fantasies and land purchasing exploits. I am trying to change the idea that Chileans have of us gringos by doing something for them that is not self-serving, except to make Chile more hospitable to gringos.

My question is this: Do I have to register as a charity in Chile to donate resources and supplies directly to Chileans? What are the legal things I have to do to avoid being taxed on donations and humanitarian projects in the country?

I hope no one is offended by this post. I am not impressed with the way Chileans think and behave (in general), but I think they deserve a large humanitarian effort to empower their economic efforts at the local level. And I'm committed to helping them with that.

Thank you,
Linda

admin
Site Admin

Re: Philanthropy Starting In Chile

Post by admin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:06 pm

that is a fascinating patronizing offensive (to everyone) post.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:32 pm

It's a commendable attitude to want to help others. Good for you.

One thing I would like to say is that Chile is not that poor a country and therefore the community and the government will already be able to take care of themselves to a large extent.

So if you want to spend a few thousand dollars to improve the life of a poor Chilean you might say give them a new roof and now they have better insulation and don't have a leaky roof. But if you spend the same few thousand dollars in sub-saharan African on malarial bednets, you might save a person's life. If you spend a few thousand dollars on handing out medications in a very poor country, you might greatly reduce the suffering a person has.

In Chile, it's going to be much harder to find examples of where you can save a life or massively improve a person's life for a few thousand dollars. Most such opportunities will already have been taken care of by the government, family members, or communities.

I do give money to local charities, but I give the majority of my modest donations to the most effective (known) global ones.

https://www.givewell.org/charities/top-charities

Of course, any charity donations are commendable.

If you're rich, and especially if you are very rich, it may be more helpful to give money than time.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:38 pm

Do you want to help people live according to how you think or feel? Who are you to tell people how to live? What conceit!!!
I can only imagine the strings you'll attach to every peso you distribute...along with a selfie.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:17 pm

i know the united states likes to pretend their is no poverty in america, but start by helping the nearly 50% of america that is at or below the poverty line.

https://www.povertyusa.org/facts

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... s-indicate

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018 ... overty?amp

there are many times the population of chile (all 18.5 million) in extreme poverty in the united states than there are in chile.

even the poorest chileans have a far more robust safty net under them than the poorest americans. they have among many other things, free health care, free housing, free education, minimal income poverty subidies, etc, etc. even more important, a goverment that acknowledges they exist and has made it a top national priority to do something about it.

america's poor are lucky if they have a roof, and even if they do, are far more likly to loose it at any moment.

hauling resources to the other side of the world, to country and culture you seem to be completly ignorant of how it works, is not a very efficient use of resources; regardless if there is a problem to be solved or not.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:30 pm

that whole post reminds me of the potatos after the 2010 earthquake.

as we are flying donated aid in to the effected region, someone along the way donated several hundred pounds of potatos.

they were stacked under a tree for weeks at the airport, and we all laughed at them as we walked by loading the planes with aid, including food and water.

why?

because the area hit the hardest by earthquake also produces a lot of the potates in chile. even more, the quake had bounced the potatos out of the ground. you simply needed to walk around and pick them up. the last thing the people needed was more potatos.

make sure there is a problem to be solved first, and you are in position to actually solve it second. otherwise you can do more damage than you are fixing.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Have to agree with admin and Zenth there but its Christmas so I'll try and refrain from any further comments.
You do realise back in the 1800s the English were genuinely convinced they were helping the "natives" achieve a better standard of life too in their colonies , howd that work out for those countries? so I do find yours a rather ironic post, but I doubt you see it that way Linda.
As the saying goes ,Fine if you want to do charity, but try and do it silently or else the charity is you.
Merry Christmas
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Your attitudes confirm what I was saying about expats: Very callous towards Chileans. Really, you think these people have it made? I am not talking about sending money to them. And I'm not talking about donating food. I'm talking about improving their homes. Putting resources through Sodimac so that community projects can proceed. I have toured Temuco, Valdivia, Futrono, Puerto Montt, Santiago, Pucon, Osorno, Entre Lagos and I have spoken with people who have no financial resources to make themselves comfortable in winter. Yes, the Chileans need assistance and they deserve it from Americans since we ruined their country in the 1970s.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:23 am

The poverty line in the USA for a family of 4 is equivalent to approximately 1.5 Million CLP monthly. Even being poor in the USA is expensive.
The communists ruined Chile before the 1970's. They're still trying. The Chilean Military committed an act of terrorism in the USA during the 1970's as well.
Stop apologizing for the USA. We pay $10 for 1500 peso bottles of Chilean wine.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:00 am

questionsasked wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:57 pm
Your attitudes confirm what I was saying about expats: Very callous towards Chileans. Really, you think these people have it made? I am not talking about sending money to them. And I'm not talking about donating food. I'm talking about improving their homes. Putting resources through Sodimac so that community projects can proceed. I have toured Temuco, Valdivia, Futrono, Puerto Montt, Santiago, Pucon, Osorno, Entre Lagos and I have spoken with people who have no financial resources to make themselves comfortable in winter. Yes, the Chileans need assistance and they deserve it from Americans since we ruined their country in the 1970s.
Please stop embarrassing yourself(or not , its up to you, your ideas and opinions are interesting to say the least, but rather tired and predictable)

You have no idea about any of us and what we may or may not do in Chile, so please don't try and pretend you do.

Most of us actually live here and don't tour around thinking they have an idea on what people want.

I wonder are you also the sort of person that prefers to give food rather than cash to people begging for money on the street, because you know best what they need?

You claim to be trying to help but you come across just like some "know it all" politician that thinks they have the answer to everything and have the right to tell others how to live their lives.

The really funny thing is you don't even seem to see Chile for what it is, and appear blinded by your imperialist gringo patronising attitude of wanting to "help" because you had a great idea and have some strange sense of guilt?

Chile is a country that stands up and keeps going time after time when ever there is a natural disaater (which happens quite a bit) It is country that raises hundreds of millions (dollars) over the years for disabled kids and their families, it is a country that has an incredible entrepreneurial spirit, and everyone is always trying to give something a go, it is a country where families and neighbours stick together and help each other when needed.

As I say don't try and pretend you know what is best for others, as a wise man once said, you seem so in love with your big grand plan you can't accept any deviation from it " or the slightest reasonable debate about what you are trying to achieve and prefer to attack others here.

Good luck to you, whatever gets you off I guess.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

questionsasked

Post by questionsasked » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:48 am

Maybe I haven't been clear enough.

Chileans have asked us to help with local projects.

Maybe you don't have that kind of rapport with Chileans. Maybe you should come down off your tirade and defensiveness and get more involved with local people -- they DO need help and the US is responsible for the vestiges of their economic problems and low wages.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:37 am

questionsasked wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:48 am
Maybe I haven't been clear enough.

Chileans have asked us to help with local projects.

Maybe you don't have that kind of rapport with Chileans. Maybe you should come down off your tirade and defensiveness and get more involved with local people -- they DO need help and the US is responsible for the vestiges of their economic problems and low wages.
What does this charitable spirit make you......in dollars monthly so we understand you motive......
It's all about the wine.