Changing temporary visa type?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

GAminer

Changing temporary visa type?

Post by GAminer » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:59 pm

First, I would like to thank everyone in advance for any information/advice that they can provide me. So I came to Chile almost two years ago to do postgraduate studies in one of the Universities (I applied for my student visa through extranjeria). After my first year my professor told me that he had received funding for the project that I was working on and was going to start paying me, and that in order to do so I would need a visa with permission to work. I applied for a change in visa type (student to temporary), using an offer of employment that my professor wrote for me, and that was approved end of last year. So currently I have a temporary visa for professionals with one or more contract and eventually would like to apply for permanent residency, however, there are a few issues. The first being that they still have not given me the contract to sign, so I am not being paid yet. Second, it is actually a convenio rather than a work contract, so there is no AFP or salud, which according to the extranjeria website are required along with a copy of the contract to apply for permanent residency. I own two rental properties in the states which generate monthly income for me, so was wondering is it possible to change my temporary visa type from professional to rentista? Do they allow applying for temporary visas more than once? Or could I just apply for permanent residency anyways and declare my rental properties as my income?

Again thank you for your responses!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing temporary visa type?

Post by admin » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 am

The short version, if you change type you have to start over counting your temp residency days. Depending on how far in you are, it might not make a diffrence. For example, work visa subject to contrsct is two years to qualify for perment residency. Perioduc income visa, one year.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

LingZuE1

Post by LingZuE1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 am

I have a similar question. I am almost three months into my temp residency days and I am on a professional type visa. I thought that I can apply for permanent residency after 9 months without working. (showing that I paid AFP salud etc.)

But during the time at PDI and Registro Civil all the other foreigners told me I have to show at least 6 months of AFP with the professional type visa.
Are there different expectations depending what nationality you have? I am from Germany.

Now I am a little worried that I can not apply for permanent residency and maybe should change to the rentista visa?

Thank you for any help!

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 am
The short version, if you change type you have to start over counting your temp residency days. Depending on how far in you are, it might not make a diffrence. For example, work visa subject to contrsct is two years to qualify for perment residency. Perioduc income visa, one year.
is it possible to change visa temporaria - technical professional to visa temporaria - rentista? or can i apply for permanent residency as a rentista with a temporary visa as a technical professional?

woo_chile

Post by woo_chile » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm

I have a related question. I have a temp visa for professionals and I have had it for 10 month and I want to apply fo permanent residency. However, in my last job I had a clause in my contract saying I would pay my AFP cotizaciones to my fund in my home country but neither I nor my employer ever did this... So I have 0 AFP cotizaciones to show.... How can I et around this? should I just extend my temp visa and start paying AFP with my current job?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 am

AFP has nothing to do with immigration status.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 am
Extranjería requires you to submit your cotizaciones de AFP and Salud if you apply for permanent residency as dependent of employer.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:54 am

woo_chile wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:40 pm
I have a related question. I have a temp visa for professionals and I have had it for 10 month and I want to apply fo permanent residency. However, in my last job I had a clause in my contract saying I would pay my AFP cotizaciones to my fund in my home country but neither I nor my employer ever did this... So I have 0 AFP cotizaciones to show.... How can I et around this? should I just extend my temp visa and start paying AFP with my current job?
You could apply for permanent residency as a rentista or honorarios as long as you meet the requirements.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:58 pm

GAminer wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am
admin wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 am
Extranjería requires you to submit your cotizaciones de AFP and Salud if you apply for permanent residency as dependent of employer.
Well, it only has something to do with it in so far as you are proving you and your employer complied with the employment laws. Lot of employers use to play games (some still do) with the employment taxes with dependent workers. For example, forcing employees to refund those payments to the employer; or, simply not paying it at all.