Extranjeria Meltdown in Concepcion

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

chesswolf

Extranjeria Meltdown in Concepcion

Post by chesswolf » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Our 1st temporary visas are about to expire in like two months so I wanted to get a head start on renewing for the second year. I went into town today (we live outside of Conce) and the extranjeria office is being remodeled so it temporarily moved nearby. There was a mass of 50 people at the door. I knew they only attend by appointment so I went to the other office that hands out appointments - it's shut down. I was told to force my way to the front door and make an appointment with Pablo or Pedro or something, "el gordito a la puerta". After 30 minutes of maneuvering I finally got to him. He was telling everyone "if you have an appointment, stand in line. If you have a question (they'll answer a quick question without an appointment), wait in line." I asked, "what if you need to get an appointment?" and he said, "come back after February 15. Apparently a surge in immigration plus summer vacations are taking their toll.

But what do I do now? February 15 might be enough time to get my papers gathered and submitted on time, but what if they all of a sudden request some new document from the states, that has to be notarized and all that garbage? When I applied the first time, three different people told me I needed three different sets of things. Can I go to another extranjeria in another region and apply?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Extranjeria Meltdown in Concepcion

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Care to describe the other extranjeros in the mob? No need to be politically SJW correct on this forum.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:50 am

chesswolf wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm
Our 1st temporary visas are about to expire in like two months so I wanted to get a head start on renewing for the second year. I went into town today (we live outside of Conce) and the extranjeria office is being remodeled so it temporarily moved nearby. There was a mass of 50 people at the door. I knew they only attend by appointment so I went to the other office that hands out appointments - it's shut down. I was told to force my way to the front door and make an appointment with Pablo or Pedro or something, "el gordito a la puerta". After 30 minutes of maneuvering I finally got to him. He was telling everyone "if you have an appointment, stand in line. If you have a question (they'll answer a quick question without an appointment), wait in line." I asked, "what if you need to get an appointment?" and he said, "come back after February 15. Apparently a surge in immigration plus summer vacations are taking their toll.

But what do I do now? February 15 might be enough time to get my papers gathered and submitted on time, but what if they all of a sudden request some new document from the states, that has to be notarized and all that garbage? When I applied the first time, three different people told me I needed three different sets of things. Can I go to another extranjeria in another region and apply?
quick question. You say your renewing your first temporary visa. Why?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

chesswolf

Post by chesswolf » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm

1. Maybe 75% seemed to have haitian type characteristics. Most looked to be in their 30s. But there were definitely some Europeans as well, some parents with kids, and some that looked old enough to be grandparents.

2. Admin, from what I gather, the definitiva takes about 9 months to process. During that time, my carnet expires and there's no way to renew it. Which means I have trouble banking, purchasing property, and many other things. If I'm wrong on either of those two assumptions, please correct me. My plan was to renew the temp and then immediately apply for the definitiva. That way I keep my carnet unexpired while I wait for the definitiva to process.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 am

yea, sorry to tell you but your probably just going to have to live with an expired ID. File your permanent residency, carry around the paper as proof you filed it.

It is one of those super oversights in the immigration law, that really, really needs to be fixed; but, it seems this congress is not too interested in fixing anything related to immigration right now.

At least saved you an extra trip to the line at the immigration department.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.