Renewing your cédula de identidad if you have permanent residence.

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Donnybrook

Renewing your cédula de identidad if you have permanent residence.

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:25 pm

This is for residents of Santiago who have permanent residence and who need to renew their Chilean ID. This is step 2, after you have obtained your certificado de vigencia from the PDI, a whole other hornet's nest, to prove you have not been outside Chile for over a year.

The last renewal I did I was able to do in any municipality. Not now. Now all foreigners go to the Registro Civil on Huerfanos.

Before you go to the PDI to get your certificado de vigencia to show you have not been outside Chile for more than one year, make your appointment for the Registro Civil on Huerfanos for the second step. The certificate from PDI is valid for 30 days and appointments in the RC are often booked out for 2 months. The experience is bearable if you have an appointment and horrible if you do not. You will get an email reminder the day before your appointment.

You do not need to take your passport with you. They ask for the PDI certificate, certificado de vigencia, plus a photocopy of the same. I did not have a copy but there is a tiny newspaper stand outside which does photocopies. They also want a photocopy of your permanent residence card, both sides, AND the original card. The cost is CLP$4270 and exact change is appreciated.

Since you are renewing they have your data but will ask you to confirm. They fingerprint (electronic device, no messy ink) your two index fingers. They already have a set of prints for you in the system. You sign, again an electronic device, and they store that signature. You can do it again if you don't like how it turned out. They take your photo and ask if it is OK. They will take it again if you are not happy with it. I was not happy but that's my face.

They ask what comuna you want to pick up the new cédula in and give you a date for picking it up. It used to be 8 working days. I did the tramite today and it will not be ready until the 23rd January. So start the process at least a couple of months before your cédula expires.

Outside the RC is chaos but they keep some sort of order inside and were certainly very polite.

The whole process, once they attend to you, is about 15 minutes.

There are no public toilets available.

lost gringo

Re: Renewing your cédula de identidad if you have permanent residence.

Post by lost gringo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:50 pm

So you need to prove you haven't been out of Chile more than a year not 182 days? I'm confused(as usual)
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:42 pm

A family member has just renewed and is definitely out of Chile more than 182 days.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 am

Sorry but need to clear this up before we get a million panic calls.

Who told you need to prove you were not out of the country for at least a year?

For permanent residents, renewing their permenent residency for another 5 years, you need to prove you have been 1 day a year in the country, for each of the last 5 years; or show the consulate extensions ( allowed 4 times).

Temporary residents, need to be in the country 180 days in one year, to apply for permanent residency.

Also never under estimate the ignorance of chile's beuracrates. I think it is a job requirment.

Finally, don't forget, Santiago no es Chile.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:13 pm

There was a tweet put out recently by department of immigration regarding exactly this problem. Seems your not the only one being told this.

The department of immigration is reminding everyone your perment residency does not get renewed, only your id.

For that you just need to prove your perment residency is still valid.

The only way it is revoced is if you are out of the country for more than one year.

We need to know what office told you that?

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 pm

You said: >>The only way it is revoced is if you are out of the country for more than one year.<<
This is what I said. >>.. to prove you have not been outside Chile for over a year. <<
Looks the same to me.
Or, to put it another way, you have been in Chile at least once during the year. Most people wouldn't come for a day but that would presumably be sufficient.
I did specify this was for people with permanent residence and no other type of status. I also specified it was for residents of Santiago. The basics are the same: obtain the certificado de vigencia from PDI and then renew the cedula at the registro civil.

Rhodolite

Post by Rhodolite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:43 pm

What is that "certificado de vigencia" - certificate of validity? Validity of what?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:58 pm

"...you have not been outside Chile for over a year."

Yea i think that was my bad reading too fast, but think it was the wording you chose.

Over a year - as you have never left the country in a year.

Vs

As you have not stayed out of the country for more than one year.

Followed lost gringo asking about the 180 days, which not sure where thay came in.

fadgaget

Post by fadgaget » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:26 pm

I recently did this exact process and the logistics of getting it done were pretty much on point with Donny's post. The only difference with me is that I did not have an appointment, but was able to get both the PDI certifacdo de vigencia early in the morning and then ran to the registro civil on huerfanos and had to wait 4 hours. But at least it got done. They did send the card itself to a different commua at my request and I retrieved it in person about 3 weeks later. They send you an email letting you know it's ready for pickup, etc.

I also asked every PDI officer I came in contact with the same questions ( I asked at airport when I came in, over several calls just to be sure, in person at the PDI in Santiago that has the long line outside, and even the PDI when I had to fly out on a last minute trip at the airport). The consensus was the same. Your permanent residency doesn't technicaly end UNLESS you are outside of the country for more than 1 year. Meaning that you can go in and out of Chile all that you want but the LEGNTH of stay outside of the country cannot surpass 365 consecutive days. On day 366, if you have not been in Chile at all during that entire 365 timeframe, you will loose your residency on day 366. I hope that's clear?

Maintaining your residency is super important, so if you are abroad and know for a fact you will be out of the country for more than 1 year (even if by one day) get to your local consulate before the 1 year anniversary of the last date that was stamped as you left Chile on your passport and get that prorroga OR get to Chile before your time runs out.

These rules pertain to anyone holding residencia permanente.

I've personally had residencia permanente for almost 6 years and honestly, the constand worrying about my residency expiring has taken it's toll. I'm going to start the process of citizenship soon!

Also, when in doubt, read the rules on the official ministerio de extranjeria website carefully. Follow the rules precisely! It's lots of tramites and paperwork, but nothing beats the feeling of knowing you did things the right way.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 pm

>>but was able to get both the PDI certifacdo de vigencia early in the morning and then ran to the registro civil on huerfanos and had to wait 4 hours. <<

Fadgaget, hats off to you! I did the PDI in Viña to avoid the now huge lines there in Santiago but went to Huerfanos for the RC. If anyone has limited time you can pay for someone to do the PDI certificate with a Power of Attorney but the RC has to be done in person.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri May 24, 2019 5:03 am

What do you need to do to prove you were in Chile at least 1 day each year you've been a permanent resident?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri May 24, 2019 9:33 am

Pdi database has your entry and exits.