Visas and accommodation HELP PLEASEEEEEE

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

GabyMH

Visas and accommodation HELP PLEASEEEEEE

Post by GabyMH » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi,

I'm Argentinian and my husband is British. Currently living in USA but planning to move to Chile in March. We've been told that in order to obtain a temporary visa for Chile the best thing is to arrive in Chile, get a tourist visa and then apply for a temporary one (requesting it at the Chilean Consulate in US is super complicated) We're also being told the process can take up to around 4 months and then 4 additional months to obtain the identity card. My question is: how do we 'survive' in Chile during 8 months, till we have all the required papers, when we need to rent a place where to live, buy a car and open a bank account? People on the net seem to be accomplishing all this without too many problems. Are we missing something here? Thanks in advance for any help you may provide. Feeling pretty overwhelmed... and discouraged...

chesswolf

Re: Visas and accommodation HELP PLEASEEEEEE

Post by chesswolf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm

1. You can rent with your passport as soon as you get here. I'm told you can somehow sign a lease through an agent, but I don't recommend it. We used an airbnb rental for two weeks and then got a 6 month rental during those two weeks. Signed the papers using our passport.

2. You can apply for temporary residency as soon as you land, assuming you have all the papers. In my experience, it took two months to process the papers, but that was here in Concepción. I'm not sure if other parts of the country might take longer.

3. Once I had my visa, the cédula (ID card) took 3 weeks or so to arrive. Once it arrives you can immediately purchase a car (we did that the next day) and open a Cuenta RUT with Banco Estado (the only bank that would help me).

4. I think you can get a work permit the minute you hand in all your papers to apply for the visa so, assuming you came with all the paperwork to apply the very day you got here, you would be able to rent and work a job during your first week here. You wouldn't be able to open a bank account or purchase a car (or a house) until about 3-4 months after arriving, although there is a complicated process that allows you to apply for essentially an investor's RUT and then you could probably own a car or a house just a few weeks after getting here.

Hope that gives you a better idea of what you're facing. Be warned that the waiting period for your visa to be processed could change at any time based on backlog, how much funding the government allocates to processing the papers, and if the workers decide to strike for weeks or months at a time. It isn't likely, but it could happen.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Also, as an Argentinean national you are eligible for the Visa Mercosur, which is much less bureaucratic than the alternatives. This specific visa requires much less paperwork (IE. no need to prove that you're able to cover your bills while in the country. You will still need to pay your own bills, lol, but they won't ask for proof).

Message me in case you have any specific questions. You can also find lots of information about it here: http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/tipos-de- ... capitulo13

GabyMH

Post by GabyMH » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks, Chesswolf and Tiagoabner. The info I posted was given to me by an immigration lawyer in Chile... I'm sooooo confused!

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 pm

The link I posted comes from the official immigration office. Running through it should give you a pretty nice picture regarding the requirements. Since you're Argentinean, there are almost no requirements to get your visa. Your husband can get a "dependent" visa linked to yours, or he can go through his own temporary visa process, which is well documented in this forum.

Getting a visa outside Chile can indeed be complicated, but doing things that way is usually required only for people coming from certain countries (IE. Dominican Republic).

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 pm

You may also want to check this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14401

I came to Chile and got a Mercosur visa, which is the same you will apply for, so my experience may provide you some insights.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:55 am

Sorry, got to correct this, before my email box explodes with a thousand people going "but ohhhh my god, you said..."
4. I think you can get a work permit the minute you hand in all your papers to apply for the visa so, assuming you came with all the paperwork to apply the very day you got here, you would be able to rent and work a job during your first week here. You wouldn't be able to open a bank account or purchase a car (or a house) until about 3-4 months after arriving, although there is a complicated process that allows you to apply for essentially an investor's RUT and then you could probably own a car or a house just a few weeks after getting here.
Yes, you can apply for a work permit, at the time you file. Only the primary applicant can get a work permit. Dependents will have to wait until they have full permanent residency, or they will need to apply under their own application.

You can buy a house or a car, without residency, or even having ever been to Chile (e.g. by power of attorney). What you have to have is a "Temporary RUT number for foreigners". THERE IS NO "INVESTOR RUT"!!!! IT IS NOT THE SAME RUT NUMBER AS RESIDENTS RECEIVE!!!! IT DOES NOT ENTITLE YOU TO RESIDENCY!!!!

It is just a tax payer ID number that allows you do things like buy a car, a house, etc. Once you are granted residency, then you will get permanent RUT number that would follow you the rest of your life in Chile. It is like in the U.S., the difference between a TIN number
that foreigners use to file taxes vs a social security number that citizens use to file taxes.

Most banks will not open an account for a foreigner without full permanent residency (yea, I don't want to hear the 'just so stories' like, "but my friend got one doing bla, bla... on Tuesday with a full moon, at some obscure branch, with the help of my wife's cousin's x-boyfriend"). Real bank accounts, take full permanent residency, at most banks. Wonderful if you found some way around it, but until I see 10,000 foreigners with tourist visas, consistently open accounts at any bank in the country, those are just accidents.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am

And that's also true for the visa Mercosur case: if you apply for a visa Mercosur, your husband will not be able to work until he gets full permanent residency. He will need to apply on his own to be able to work. There are lots of reports on this forum about which visas an US citizen can get.