5 years of permanent residency - clarification?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

fadgaget

5 years of permanent residency - clarification?

Post by fadgaget » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi all,

To everyone who gave advice of returning to Chile after 4 prorrogas, thank you! Update: All is fine, PDI gave certificado de vigencia confirming my residency is still valid, already got new carnet, already got all my bank cards renewed, etc. Might I add, I hate tramites. lol.

That being said!

Now that I'm can breath a sigh of relief that my permanent residency is still valid, I realize that I can't/shouldn't keep putting off citizenship. My spouse is Chilean, we have plans to purchase properties here, my spouse's entire family is here, we have long-term roots, etc. We plan to retire here. Also, before my 4 prorrogas I had lived in Chile many years, so I'm defintiely not a passport chaser.

I have read here over and over on the forum about in order to apply for citizenship you need 5 years of permanent residency. But I need a clarification. I've been a permament resident for 6 years. 4 of those years I had prorrogas but I'm back in Chile now, etc. I always followed the rules, I always did everything required to maintain residency, etc.

In order to qualify for citizenship do they mean 5 years of permanent residency where you are physically in Chile for those 5 years while you are a permament resident and maybe just went a few weeks outside of the country here and there on vacation OR do they mean it doens't matter where you are so long as you don't overstay the 1 year requirement for maintaining that permanent residency over the course of those five years?

I ask because now that I DO want to apply for citizenship, I'm wondering if those 4 prorrogas I had might have set me back in this journey.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

fadgaget

Re: 5 years of permanent residency - clarification?

Post by fadgaget » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am

So I've checked the official website but there's no clarification on the physical requirement of having been physically in Chile aside from the requirement of not being out of the country more than 1 year to maintain permanent residency but my question is about the physical requirement to apply for citizenship. When I speak to govnt officials everyone says something different (as usual) so it's been hard getting a firm answer about this.