how long outside of Chile without losing residencia

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Groschi

how long outside of Chile without losing residencia

Post by Groschi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:14 am

Hi,
I am between Brazil and Europe for the last 9 months and therefore I would like to know when I have to be back in Chile at the latest not to
lose my residencia.
is it no more than 365 days that I can be outside of Chile or is it once per calender year in Chile?

not sure if I expressed myself well.

Thanks,

Groschi

fraggle092

Re: how long outside of Chile without losing residencia

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:30 pm

The key word is "plazo"
¿Puede perderse la permanencia definitiva?
Sí. Una razón es la llamada "revocación tácita": ausentarse de Chile por un período superior a un año ininterrumpido. De todas formas, se puede solicitar en algún consulado chileno en el extranjero una prórroga de la vigencia de la permanencia definitiva, por un plazo de un año. Ésta debe ser solicitada 60 días antes del vencimiento de la permanencia definitiva y sólo se podrán conceder hasta un máximo de cuatro prórrogas en forma sucesiva.
http://www.bcn.cl/leyfacil/recurso/resi ... s-en-chile
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm

While under temp residency, 180days with in the year.

Under perment residency, you need to be in chile at least 1 day year.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:19 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm

If you plan on applying for citizenship, wouldn't the 180 day rule also apply during permanent residency to "demonstrate a "substantial" or "significant" connection to Chile as discussed in the citizenship thread?

If so, then the one day a year requirement is only to maintain permanent residency, nothing more?
Between tourist, temp residency, permanent residency, citizenship, vehicles and income taxes, it's like "who's on first". :?
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Groschi

Post by Groschi » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Sorry, but that doesnt match the info from the link above, what is it now, once every 365 days or once a year, big difference between the two.

Or to make it easier, lets say, I left Chile Feb. 8th 2017, when is the latest to be back in Chile not to loose residencia DEFINITIVA

Feb. 7th or Dec. 31st?????????

picalena

Post by picalena » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Pretty sure it is best to say it like this: You cannot be out of the country more than 364 days in a row. You have to be back by 2/7/18. Look out for leap years! If you do not return until 12/31/18, you will be cagado. Also, beware if you are taking a red eye flight. It matters when you arrive in Chile, not when you leave where you are coming from.

cheers,
pl

pd - why are we yelling?
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet