Renew Carnet, Over 5 years permanent residency, process questions?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

fadgaget

Renew Carnet, Over 5 years permanent residency, process questions?

Post by fadgaget » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi all,

So I'm returning to Chile after having received prorroga abroad. Everything is still valid, no overstays or permenant residency concerns.

However, my carnet expired last June so I'd like to renew it as soon as I get to Santiago.

I've heard so many versions of what I'm supposed to do and how long it will take.

Can anyone clarify in simple terms, where do I start, where do I go and (since the reservation option is booked online for the registro civil in santiago-huerfanos) if as a foreigner with permanent residency can I just go with my certificate from the policia internacional along with my old carnet and passport and just do it at the registro civil in providencia?

Also, how long before they hand in my carnet to me? I'll be in Santiago for a month and then I'm off to travel for work abroad.

I have all my paperwork for my prorroga and plan to go to the policia first as soon as I get to Santiago to get things moving.

Thoughts?

scandinavian

Re: Renew Carnet, Over 5 years permanent residency, process questions?

Post by scandinavian » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:40 pm

I did it some months ago. Is like you mention but they might take more than a month to give you the new one. The line at PDI was a nightmare back then. I ended up doing it outside of Santiago. Carnet in Colina instead of centre.