Legalizing a UK Degree Certificate for Chilean Purposes

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

serebella

Legalizing a UK Degree Certificate for Chilean Purposes

Post by serebella » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Has anyone from the UK done this process recently?

I understand there may have been some changes since August 2016 viz a viz the steps required, which previously included having to attend the Chilean Consulate in London (once the Foreign Office legalized the Degree Certificate in the UK).

Is the crazy requirement of having to spend GBP 900 on a flight ticket for a piece of paper/stamp (worse still, having to go into London) from the Chilean Consulate, in person, still a necessity?

Thanks

frozen-north

Re: Legalizing a UK Degree Certificate for Chilean Purposes

Post by frozen-north » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 pm

I think that the word you are looking for is 'Apostille'.
admin wrote:
Just the apostil is needed, and anyone working at immigration should know that by now.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13968&start=24#p170151
Admin might have some updated news.

serebella

Post by serebella » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Yes, Chile signed up to the Hague Convention taking effect in August 2016. THEORETICALLY an apostille is all that should be required (attained from the Foreign Office in Milton Keynes in the UK), without the need to take the document on to the Chilean consulate in London.

However...... this is Chile..... practically, has anyone had the apostille 'accepted' in lieu of the usual (former) legalization process (which included aforementioned attendance at the Chilean consulate in London)? Basically - I don't want to have to go the Chilean consulate if I don't have to. And the process can be done by mail if this is the case.

I can imagine the scenario of taking the degree certificate with apostille to the Minesterio del Exterior to be 'officially translated' and their rejecting it as it doesn't have a stamp from the Chilean Consulate in London.....!

...And, are degree certificates still required to be translated at the Minesterio del Exterior here prior to a chilean authority's acceptance? I'd imagine this still is the case.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 am

apostille, and you are good to go.

Really, to be honest, I don't think 99.999999% of Chilean bureaucrats ever understood the difference and/or cared. Over the years, I don't know how many times we have had to explain to attorneys in Chile, that only practice law domestically and represent Chileans clients, what legalization is vs an apostille.

So, if you got a document from a country that is party to the Hague convention on signature recognition, count yourself bureaucratically lucky.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.