Returning to Chile after Prorroga

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

fadgaget

Returning to Chile after Prorroga

Post by fadgaget » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:55 am

Hi all,

I will be returning to Chile after having received 4 prorrogas. I know this issue has ALOT of threads on here but I have a bit of a unique question.

Every time I received a prorroga from the consulate, they would give me a physical letter (certifado de prorroga) AND they would put an official prorroga stamp directly on the certificado de permenencia definitiva.

I have the last 3 letters (which includes the most recent one) AND all 4 prorroga stamps directly on the certificado de permenencia definitiva itself.

I can't find the certifcado de prorroga letter that was included for the 1st year that I did the prorroga but I have everything else.

Is this going to be an issue when I arrive at the airport?

Will it affect my ability to maintain residency?

Will this affect my ability to do tramites such as carnet renewal etc once I am back?

Fyi, I already spoke to the consulate and very unfortunately, they haven't been helpful.

Thoughts?

bobbert

Re: Returning to Chile after Prorroga

Post by bobbert » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:24 pm

I returned earlier this year after having received 4 prorrogas.
They definitely didn't look at the letters at the airport. (Not in my case anyway).
I know that doing my tramite at the Policia Internacional (certificado de vigencia) I took originals and copies of all my past letters but I'm not certain they looked at them all.

ny_andino

Post by ny_andino » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 am

Hello bobbert and welcome back to Chile!
bobbert wrote:..They definitely didn't look at the letters at the airport. (Not in my case anyway)...
However did PDI at the airport even look at your 4x times stamped (by Chilean consulate) Certificado de PD upon re-entry??
If not, It must had been already noted by MinRel (MoFA) in their internal database that you're still a valid PD, as opposed to entering as a tourist who lost the PD after years of absence...

fadgaget

Post by fadgaget » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for the response guys!

I'm wondering, you said "tramite at the Policia Internacional (certificado de vigencia)" --- is that a tramite I need to do as soon as I get back into the country?

I spoke to the consulate and they said all I had to do was land in the country and renew my carnet as soon as I get back. They did say however that to get my carnet I will need to show the most current certificate for prorroga plus the prorroga stamp they put on the certifacdo de residencia definitiva. Thankfuly I DO have that!

I'm wondering if there are other required tramites I would need to do to make sure that my certificado de permanencia definitiva remains current?