chile's migration crisis

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: chile's migration crisis

Post by admin » Sun May 26, 2019 10:03 am

well, i have not seen an update recently on the Law airlines case.

here is the problem with most these cases you do see in the news, they involve government officials. if they had left the government officials out, there would not be much of a case.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:22 am

It's just more of the same....

Last year, two Chilean Consuls were "separated from their functions" for the same offence.

And the year before, Senator Andrés Zaldívar was similarly accused.

When members of the privileged top tier of Chilean government are caught cheating, what does that imply about lower-level officials ?

Continuing with the "tourism" theme, how are so many convicted lanzas internacionales able to travel abroad and reoffend after having been deported? Stolen or bought passports? Limpieza de antecedentes?

Nowadays turning over any Chilean stone reveals a rich assortment of nasty creatures.

The crime tourism business is still going strong, btw.
Après moi, le déluge

at46

Post by at46 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:58 pm

admin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:54 am
sounds like these guys were flying them in to Argentina to then sneak them over the boarder. why would you do that?
This says the Chinese first entered Chile and then decided to move to Argentina.

Anyway, looking at the the CNN coverage that mentions the connections of the accused to Nueva Mayoria and Democracia Cristiana, it might be the first volley in the next presidential campaign more than anything else.

Interestingly, the CNN calls it the biggest immigration bust ever to have occured in Chile :), and says not a word about the Haitians.

https://www.cnnchile.com/pais/funcionar ... xxw3ugQAng

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 26, 2019 3:04 pm

it looks like these wankers were not only smuggling chinese, but charging them $5,000 u.s. for just a tourist visa. Are you frigen kidding me?

there was a story a few years ago about a shipping container full of chinese smuggled in to Europe, and then they just left them at the port to die. the people paid $50,000 u.s. each to die in a container.

Guess i need to step-up my advertising for LEGAL immigration from china, because we don't charge even remotely anything like that to our Chinese clients, for residency aplications. we don't even charge for the tourist visa phase, because it is free at the consulate in China.

These guys were doing nothing but running a con.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun May 26, 2019 3:21 pm

With regard to the chinese immigrants is necessary to be "open minded" looking at it in a positive way. :mrgreen:
What chileans can learn from the chinese.
1- How to cook rice 10001 ways.
2- How to make copies (knock off) items, sell them as originals and make millions
3- Whatever walks, flies, crawls and swims could be used as a food source.
4-Birth control. 2 children per family. The concept of having kids with no responsibility and let SENAME to raise them would be a thing of the past.
5-For the delinquents, a deserving speedy sentence.
6- And the best for last..........for all criminals....the "one bullet" between the eyes justice as they do in China will lessen overcrowding in jails! 中國萬歲 :alien:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

mem

Post by mem » Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 pm

admin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:04 pm
it looks like these wankers were not only smuggling chinese, but charging them $5,000 u.s. for just a tourist visa. Are you frigen kidding me?

there was a story a few years ago about a shipping container full of chinese smuggled in to Europe, and then they just left them at the port to die. the people paid $50,000 u.s. each to die in a container.

Guess i need to step-up my advertising for LEGAL immigration from china, because we don't charge even remotely anything like that to our Chinese clients, for residency aplications. we don't even charge for the tourist visa phase, because it is free at the consulate in China.

My first thought was basically the same...huh? what? Whoa really? $5000 USD to just get to Chile on a tourist visa? According to the beggarly wikipedia

Code: Select all

"Citizens of  China can apply for a no-fee tourist or business visa, or visit Chile without a visa for up to 90 days"

I don't get it...are these poor Chinese (empathetically versus economically) just ignorant of current immigration law betwixt China and Chile? (actually pretty likley if they cant speak/read english or spanish?) Did that $5K USD include airfare (or whatever other 'transport') and something more than a tourist visa...regardless of the lie behind it? If it did...well maybe somehow that might begin to make slightly more sense than this abject rejection of all that is sensible on the part of the victims.

I have to admit I have been somewhat puzzled at why a Chinese citizen would want to move to and live in Chile. Though, of course, I am sure many Chileans ask themselves the exact same question of me. "Why would a USA citizen want to move to and live in Chile? Is he nutz? <snark>I'd kill to get me let alone my family to the glistening perfection that is the life of living in the USA"</snark> Chileans have told me this time and time again, albeit I am paraphrasing with a twist of snark
I guess the more specific point of that question is Chile versus somewhere else...Europe or other parts of Asia.

Of course I have quite a few reasons for rejecting Europe and Asia for longterm family relocation, and likely they do as well. There is still, without exaggeration, nowhere else that ticks all my boxes like Chile. Not Uruguay, not Andorra, not Switzerland, not Singapore, not Hong Kong.

Only Chile out of all other countries on the earth. Maybe they see the same thing many of us do

It is one thing if they have resources and a plan to execute on where they are moving versus another thing where sometimes immigrants just want to mooch off the incoming state in every possible way. I mean the fewer minority that turn mooching into a science and even brag about their exploits.
To be clear...I doubt this pejorative category encompasses the affected Chinese immigrants in this story.

In my estimation, these Chinese immigrants were probably most (not all) reasonably well heeled. Wanted out of living in China. Wanted to get their money out of China, and probably could only speak and read Mandarin and/or Cantonese. They can probably read the writing on the wall of new. They probably dream of living somewhere reasonably rural where the human to square meter density ratio is less than 1.

So they wanted to buy longterm liberty and security and wanted to be in a country that was basically China friendly. If they are smart and can recognize the fundamental value that Chile provides one who lives here....just as almost all of us can relate to.

Then, honestly I can relate to a lot of that.

I am glad these scumbags are out of business defrauding them needlessly

at46

Post by at46 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:57 pm

mem wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 pm

My first thought was basically the same...huh? what? Whoa really? $5000 USD to just get to Chile on a tourist visa? According to the beggarly wikipedia

"Citizens of  China can apply for a no-fee tourist or business visa, or visit Chile without a visa for up to 90 days"
I think that quote misses one small but important detail, which is: if they already hold a valid US or Canada visa.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 am

helps, but is not required.

proof of resources to support themselves and the family is still required.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Mon May 27, 2019 1:11 pm

mem wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 pm
admin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:04 pm

I don't get it...are these poor Chinese (empathetically versus economically) just ignorant of current immigration law betwixt China and Chile? (actually pretty likley if they cant speak/read english or spanish?) Did that $5K USD include airfare (or whatever other 'transport') and something more than a tourist visa...regardless of the lie behind it? If it did...well maybe somehow that might begin to make slightly more sense than this abject rejection of all that is sensible on the part of the victims.

I have to admit I have been somewhat puzzled at why a Chinese citizen would want to move to and live in Chile. Though, of course, I am sure many Chileans ask themselves the exact same question of me. "Why would a USA citizen want to move to and live in Chile? Is he nutz? <snark>I'd kill to get me let alone my family to the glistening perfection that is the life of living in the USA"</snark> Chileans have told me this time and time again, albeit I am paraphrasing with a twist of snark
I guess the more specific point of that question is Chile versus somewhere else...Europe or other parts of Asia.

Of course I have quite a few reasons for rejecting Europe and Asia for longterm family relocation, and likely they do as well. There is still, without exaggeration, nowhere else that ticks all my boxes like Chile. Not Uruguay, not Andorra, not Switzerland, not Singapore, not Hong Kong.

Only Chile out of all other countries on the earth. Maybe they see the same thing many of us do

It is one thing if they have resources and a plan to execute on where they are moving versus another thing where sometimes immigrants just want to mooch off the incoming state in every possible way. I mean the fewer minority that turn mooching into a science and even brag about their exploits.
To be clear...I doubt this pejorative category encompasses the affected Chinese immigrants in this story.

In my estimation, these Chinese immigrants were probably most (not all) reasonably well heeled. Wanted out of living in China. Wanted to get their money out of China, and probably could only speak and read Mandarin and/or Cantonese. They can probably read the writing on the wall of new. They probably dream of living somewhere reasonably rural where the human to square meter density ratio is less than 1.

So they wanted to buy longterm liberty and security and wanted to be in a country that was basically China friendly. If they are smart and can recognize the fundamental value that Chile provides one who lives here....just as almost all of us can relate to.

Then, honestly I can relate to a lot of that.

I am glad these scumbags are out of business defrauding them needlessly
Just curious, and excuse me if I am being rude, but are you financially independent (all income generated outside of Chile)? I ask, because in my opinion the worst part of living in Chile is working in a Chilean company or for Chileans. Their level of professionalism is non existent and there is a lot of incompetence due to nepotism. Not to mention the laziness and excuses.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 pm

A bit off topic, but I will bite.

The only piece of advice that trickled down to me from my grandfather I never met, "work for yourself".

You are not going to get rich working for someone else in Chile, and that is pretty much true everywhere in the World.

As my old partner that was a small business finance professor use to say, "the point of working for someone else is to get them ahead, not you".

Yea, there are some "good paying" jobs in Chile (e.g. CEO of a company, politician, etc), but there is definitely a ceiling where you have to be self-employed if you want to be "rich" (however you want to define that) in Chile.

It is probably why many immigrants can do so well in Chile, because out of necessity or just personal motivation, they tend to be self-employed in some capacity. I think part of that is the nature of international migration, regardless of motive pushing someone to move, involves people willing to take risk and start over.

I always love the interview with Richard Branson, that was asked what he would do if he lost his money and had to started over. He said that he would start another business or company, and argued that working for someone else was the riskiest thing you could do because when a business runs in to trouble the boss / owner is the last person fired. The grunts on the factory floor or the secretary, are the first to go. You get the downside risk, without any of the up side rewards working for someone else.

An old economics professor I had said essentially the same thing, "we can teach people in schools everything there is to know about mitigating risk in business, but we can not teach them to take a risk in the first place".

I just have this inclination that the sorts of people willing to move internationally, are also the sorts of people that are willing to take risk, figure things out on the fly, adapt to their environment, etc. Even among refugees or people with very serious motives to leave, it still takes a leap of psychological inclination to be a adaptable risk taker to make it happen. This is supported by study after study on the subject, including among them that people after about 30 years old tend not to migrate. It is mostly a young person's game.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon May 27, 2019 2:34 pm

admin wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 1:53 pm
A bit off topic, but I will bite.

The only piece of advice that trickled down to me from my grandfather I never met, "work for yourself".

You are not going to get rich working for someone else in Chile, and that is pretty much true everywhere in the World.

As my old partner that was a small business finance professor use to say, "the point of working for someone else is to get them ahead, not you".

Yea, there are some "good paying" jobs in Chile (e.g. CEO of a company, politician, etc), but there is definitely a ceiling where you have to be self-employed if you want to be "rich" (however you want to define that) in Chile.

It is probably why many immigrants can do so well in Chile, because out of necessity or just personal motivation, they tend to be self-employed in some capacity. I think part of that is the nature of international migration, regardless of motive pushing someone to move, involves people willing to take risk and start over.

I always love the interview with Richard Branson, that was asked what he would do if he lost his money and had to started over. He said that he would start another business or company, and argued that working for someone else was the riskiest thing you could do because when a business runs in to trouble the boss / owner is the last person fired. The grunts on the factory floor or the secretary, are the first to go. You get the downside risk, without any of the up side rewards working for someone else.

An old economics professor I had said essentially the same thing, "we can teach people in schools everything there is to know about mitigating risk in business, but we can not teach them to take a risk in the first place".

I just have this inclination that the sorts of people willing to move internationally, are also the sorts of people that are willing to take risk, figure things out on the fly, adapt to their environment, etc. Even among refugees or people with very serious motives to leave, it still takes a leap of psychological inclination to be a adaptable risk taker to make it happen. This is supported by study after study on the subject, including among them that people after about 30 years old tend not to migrate. It is mostly a young person's game.
Branson had a much more ponient say that Chileans should live by.....I did OK using it....

Educate and train your employees so they can work for any other company, BUT threat them well so they only want to work for you....
It's all about the wine.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue May 28, 2019 8:32 am

Heres a Bloomberg story claiming Venezuelans immigration numbers have gone back to their peak in last few quarters.
Chiles total Immigrant population has gone from just over 2 to just over 6 percent in recent years (so still actually quite low as an overall percentage).
And they are considering lowering interest rates due to immigration influx.
To be honest I cant see anything bad about this situation. Especially here in Los Lagos.
I read something the other day that surprised me in Los Lagos region The population as a whole of those under 18yrs went from like 20 to 16 percent of population in less than 5 years ( 2012 to 2017) while those over 65yrs went from 17 to 22 percent . Aging very fast.
Annectodaly customer service satisfaction in places where Venezuelans work own business has never been higher and a most of these immigrants are young and bringing skills.
This region is not going anywhere without more labour, skills and young people, and lower interest rates to boot, keep em coming I say.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... output-gap
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile