chile's migration crisis

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

scandinavian

Re: chile's migration crisis

Post by scandinavian » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 am

Arrived at the airport in Santiago earlier tonight. At least 50 Haitianos ahead of me in immigration and at least the same number in the queue for foreigners. I thought I would be stuck in the queue forever, as I assumed that it would take a considerable time to process each, but no. There was zero checking of paperwork, return flights, accomodations, means etc. Just the passport, stamp and on you go.
All between 20-30 years old, 90-95% men, in their best Sunday church suits. All with the same brown envelope in the hand with paperwork (which PDI didn't care to look at). Very, very obvious that they were not turists. I asked the PDI officer when it was my turn, whether it is normal, and she told me that it is like that every day when the flight from Puerto Principe comes in.

It fathoms belief that nobody at PDI has raised a red flag. Impossible, but somewhere somebody has chosen to turn a blind eye to the situation.

Seeing it with your own eyes is something else. This is already or will definitely become a major issue for Chile in years to come. What happens if / when construction jobs and other labour intensive jobs dry up? What are all the people supposed to live on?

How difficult can it be to change the agreement between Haiti and Chile to an agreement where Haitians need to apply for a visa at the Chilean embassy in Haiti and demonstrate reasons for visit, funds etc? That would slow the immigration to a dripple - If nothing else, then due to the fact that the embassy wouldn't be able to process all the requests.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 am

Hmmmm..."same brown envelope"...if only....

There are dots to connect here, Haiti, the many years of Chile UN peacekeeping mission there, Bachelet's tenure at the UN, her being buds with the Clintons which would also mean possible involvement with the Clinton Foundation and their shady involvement in Haiti, obvious stand down order given to PDI and Extranjería, dragging feet on imposing a tourist visa for Haitians, grandstanding with a nothing burger extranjero reform law...

and that is just an outsider looking in with superficial factual information.

Another additional dot: the peculiar sense that the San Antonio migration was planned with the cooperation of San Antonio's commie mayor...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

bobserb

Post by bobserb » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 am

They are around 100 000 Haitians in Chile today ,mostly man.This translate to at least another 100K family members more,when families reunite.
They will directly compete with Chilean poor for jobs and housing benefits.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:36 am

Some of similar things in Chile with the US immigration of Haitians:
Coming with little or no resources, don't speak the language, marginalized because of their color and ending up living in the worst neighborhoods.

Some of the different things vs. the US regarding the rise of the Haitian gangs in Miami:
Chile is not a major entry port for the cocaine trade.

They are already living in flaitelandia in comunas like Lo Espejo. Almost certain they have already received harassment and the next logical step is to form gangs.

And if the economy tanks further...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:50 am

More dots: George "Soros" and Michelle "Bachelet"
https://www.google.cl/search?q=%22soros ... AQ_AUICSgA

"Clinton Foundation" "Bachelet" "Haiti"
https://www.google.cl/search?q=%22clint ... AQ_AUICSgA

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:21 pm

Here is the direct link to the bill:
https://www.camara.cl/sala/verComunicac ... ormato=pdf

Remember, what you read in the bill, is A) not how it will pass, if it passes B) needs to be squared against all the other laws on the books. Law conflict all the time.

For example, the civil registry laws and regulations.

We will have more to say on it later.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:49 pm

I talked with a senior officer at PDI earlier today while I was helping a friend who doesn't speak Spanish go through some immigration paperwork. He agreed to talk to me about it under anonymity, as he feared he could be persecuted, and, per him:

"The number of Haitian immigrants already surpasses the number of immigrants of all other countries, and if it continues to grow at the same rate, it can easily surpass all others combined in the next few years. PDI estimate over 200000 immigrants this year and at least 80000 of them are expected to be Haitians. That is a large increase when compared with some years ago, as in 2015 only roughly 8500 Haitians migrated to Chile.

My colleagues don't talk too much about it, but everyone here knows they are being relaxed due to influence 'from those above'. It is the desire of the country's upper management to keep them coming. We don't know their reasons, but we fear our current structure will not support an increase of this scope."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Well, if it makes you feel better. Bachelet is in Honduras today. Wonder how many "souvenirs" she will bring back from that trip.

In that law sent to congress, they estimate something like 40,000 Haitians (properly qualified as having been granted residency visas). I had a good chuckle about that. Where are the other tens of thousands and what are they doing?

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:52 pm

admin wrote:Well, if it makes you feel better. Bachelet is in Honduras today. Wonder how many "souvenirs" she will bring back from that trip.

In that law sent to congress, they estimate something like 40,000 Haitians (properly qualified as having been granted residency visas). I had a good chuckle about that. Where are the other tens of thousands and what are they doing?
I'm actually not worried at all, my Visa is valid until next year and I will probably move to another country in May or June 2018. I think those who intend to live here long term are the ones who should be concerned.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:15 pm

well, the goverment also seems to be having some problems figuring out just how much this is going to cost. Estimates are ranging from 270 million U.S. to 500 million u.s., and they admit up-front they have no way to tell how much the new law is going to cost until it is implemented.

Most of the cost is related to education and health care. You know all that good stuff the country is struggling to provide to the current residents.

A lot of congress is not happy about the fuzzy numbers.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:34 pm

How difficult can it be to know the number of Haitians here? It should be possible for the PDI to deduct the Haitians who have left Chile from the ones who have entered in say the last 2 years. Not exactly rocket science...

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 pm

"Citizen" (OK that includes residents) muckraking and activism at its best.

Thanks scandinavian, tiagoabner, bobserb and forgive me if I left anyone out.

--eeuunikkeiexpat