chile's migration crisis

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

picalena

Re: chile's migration crisis

Post by picalena » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Good grief. You have to read 100 articles before you find this nugget:

"El ataque habría sido realizado por un hombre con aparentes problemas psicológicos, según información publicada por El Mercurio."
http://www.eldesconcierto.cl/2017/11/22 ... mbarazada/

Also, unless things have changed, the woman who was attacked isn't among the families that want to leave. What a farce. They never intended to stay in Chile anyway.

pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:15 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 am
I have been here since 2001. What I have seen happening first hand with immigration which includes regional countries and not just the Caribe in less than 10 years and especially within the last 5 to 3 years to present would not have been believable back in boring, brown to white, homogenous Chile during the early 2000s and I speak as a non-white foreigner familiar with the silent unspoken prejudice and borderline racism that can be encountered in Chilean society.

It is clearly evident that this is a top-down policy embracing open borders with virtually no checks, particularly under Bachelet who is angling for a second UN post after she completes her term. Most on this forum patiently jumped through all the hoops put up by the Chilean bureaucracy to legally become residents and now see what a sham it all was when certain countries are now migrating as "tourists" no questions asked.

You can anonymously psychoanalyze all you want from way up north as a non-resident perhaps never been here poster but we live here and committed a decent amount of energy, money and time to what was thought of as the most stable Ibero-America country. But the universal constant is change, way it is, we are dealing with it and examining things objectively looking at future impacts that no one in the Chilean media seems to want to consider and as Chile still allows politically incorrect speech at least on the net, we share and post.
:thumright: :thumleft:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:24 pm

++1
Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:06 pm

More from today's EMOL:

One of the refugees:
"Estamos asustados (...) Tenemos miedo por nuestras hermanas, esposas e hijos", explicó el refugiado Nabil Shehawi. Agregó que esperan ser trasladados a otro país, "quizás Canadá, Inglaterra o Suecia"
And from a local Syrian community leader:
...La Sociedad de Beneficencia Siria, que también ha participado del reasentamiento, rechazó la manifestación. El director, Adolfo Numi, calificó como "intransigente" la postura de los sirios...
....."Ahora está en evidencia, ellos querían llegar acá y aquí iban a hacer una batahola, para que los llevaran a Europa, como una manera de saltarse la cola. El error de ellos es que no hay cola, porque Europa no está recibiendo, está deportando", agregó.........."
I think that says it all.
Après moi, le déluge

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Whatev, every nation has this kind of people. A Syrian moved here and opened a great shawarma place. Our friend was praising Haitian builders for their hard work.

jack747

Post by jack747 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:50 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:27 am
I have been here since 2001. What I have seen happening first hand with immigration which includes regional countries and not just the Caribe in less than 10 years and especially within the last 5 to 3 years to present would not have been believable back in boring, brown to white, homogenous Chile during the early 2000s and I speak as a non-white foreigner familiar with the silent unspoken prejudice and borderline racism that can be encountered in Chilean society.

It is clearly evident that this is a top-down policy embracing open borders with virtually no checks, particularly under Bachelet who is angling for a second UN post after she completes her term. Most on this forum patiently jumped through all the hoops put up by the Chilean bureaucracy to legally become residents and now see what a sham it all was when certain countries are now migrating as "tourists" no questions asked.

You can anonymously psychoanalyze all you want from way up north as a non-resident perhaps never been here poster but we live here and committed a decent amount of energy, money and time to what was thought of as the most stable Ibero-America country. But the universal constant is change, way it is, we are dealing with it and examining things objectively looking at future impacts that no one in the Chilean media seems to want to consider and as Chile still allows politically incorrect speech at least on the net, we share and post.
Oh golly, I am sorry you took offense to my question. I tried to couch it in terms that weren't offensive. I guess I must have failed.

As I said, I've been a very long time lurker here. I recall following your saga here, including you getting residency after living on back to back tourist visas. I also know that you are a non-white foreigner and have dealt with people referring to you as Chinito or something similar. It's been a long time and my memory is not good. I also know that you have taken a lot of trouble to ensure that you are legal in Chile.

This said, I think you have a good perspective to talk about the specific ways things are changing. In this thread I see a lot of generalizations of fear, but not a lot of specific problems. The same fear mongering is happening up in the US. Everybody is fearful and the media keeps pushing it. I think the fear is past the point of ridiculousness. Is it fear mongering in Chile or what has allowing Haitians to enter without a visa really done to Chile?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:14 am

Offense? Fear mongering? Lack of details or none served up specifically to you because one is too lazy to see what has already been reported and posted previously (though you stalkingly seem to know a lot about my forum history) or the old let's ignore all that and just stir the pot for an otro vuelta. I'd say someone is trolling. Adios Sr. Baja Ca.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:47 am

Interesting gardeners these days, week one 2 Haitians and a guy from the DR, second week 2 Peruvians and a Cuban all very hard workers and finished up the job then found other things to do ........ I like this immigration thing.......
It's all about the wine.

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:04 am

I grew up on a fruit orchard owned by my Grandfather. Back then there was the Bracero program whereby whole Mexican families would come every summer to harvest the fruit.

I worked alongside them, learned Spanish and played with their children. They were very hard workers and good people. Salt of the earth. My family sponsored some of them to become American citizens.

Later I got into the construction business and most of my employees were Mexican. One Mexican would do the work of two white guys.

Then came the gang bangers, drug cartels and welfare queens and ruined it for everyone.
I pray the same does not happen here in Chile with the Haitians.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:12 am

jack747 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:50 am

As I said, I've been a very long time lurker here. I recall following your saga here, including you getting residency after living on back to back tourist visas. I also know that you are a non-white foreigner and have dealt with people referring to you as Chinito or something similar. It's been a long time and my memory is not good. I also know that you have taken a lot of trouble to ensure that you are legal in Chile.
57ed8588ffb4766d1f210a0e974ec08a.jpg
350738_1262327898323_full.jpg
350738_1262327898323_full.jpg (6.02 KiB) Viewed 144 times
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 am

lost gringo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:04 am

Then came the gang bangers, drug cartels and welfare queens and ruined it for everyone.
I do believe that not one is arguing the fact that immigrants are hard workers. Many are distorting the real concern. The fact with the Haitians case is uncontrollable and illegal immigration. Nobody is disputing their working habits. They are coming by the plane full....that's not immigration...that's called an invasion and when you invade someone else's land with no regard to the laws and jeopardize the health, education and welfare system in a country, that's a reason to be worried. This is a fragile country with hardly any manufacturing or industry to speak of that depends mostly in the cooper that produces, .....where the jobs will be coming from to accommodate all those people? And they are here to stay and reproduce!

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 am

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Gloria wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 am
lost gringo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:04 am

I do believe that not one is arguing the fact that immigrants are hard workers. Many are distorting the real concern. The fact with the Haitians case is uncontrollable and illegal immigration. Nobody is disputing their working habits. They are coming by the plane full....that's not immigration...that's called an invasion and when you invade someone else's land with no regard to the laws and jeopardize the health, education and welfare system in a country, that's a reason to be worried. This is a fragile country with hardly any manufacturing or industry to speak of that depends mostly in the cooper that produces, .....where the jobs will be coming from to accommodate all those people? And they are here to stay and reproduce!
Maybe we should elect someone who will stop uncontrolled illegal invasion like Trump is trying to do in the U.S.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain