Criminal records required for residency, 2017

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Criminal records required for residency, 2017

Post by admin » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, it happened to residency applications now too, and not just citizenship applications.

The department of immigration is requiring everyone to submit criminal records from their home country for permanent residency applications, and they can not be more than 20 days old from the data of issue.

We just had this requirement applied to several cases where the applications were in the system for months, in fact one had been going around for almost two years due to various other issues. They seem to be applying it to any application that is currently in the system.

As soon as I have more details, will post more about it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Criminal records required for residency, 2017

Post by admin » Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 am

sorry, just clarified the above post. This does not apply to temporary residency.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Juanito

Post by Juanito » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Is this information anywhere on Extranjeria's site? I'm about to send in application for PD, and they haven't updated their requisitos yet.

mt208

Post by mt208 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Juanito wrote:Is this information anywhere on Extranjeria's site? I'm about to send in application for PD, and they haven't updated their requisitos yet.
I'm looking through the whole website inside out now because I'm mailing out my PD application next week and I want to get all the documents correctly. There's no update on the requirements list for PD application now. But I do see that under the "Reconsideration" of PD, the required list of documents updated on 28/02/2017 includes this ridiculous documents:

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales y/o Judiciales Vigente. Obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por su
Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su presentación), debidamente
apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país de origen además de traducido (cuando
corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Chile. ".

Because I applied Chilean temporary residence through Consulate, Extranjeria does not have any of my records. So I assume I need to provide my Police report from China, which is notarized and translated by Chinese notary and legalized by Chilean Consulate in China and Ministry of Foreign Affairs here. The document will be 3 months and 5 days old by the time I submit the application. So fingers crossed.

I have a few questions I hope someone might know the answer. As I'm applying for rentista visa, I have brokerage account from U.S, which I receive approximately 1000USD/Month dividends. I also have Property in China and Chile. I have my Title deed in China legalized and the title deed in Chile notarized, but do the bank statements from U.S need to be apostilled? Are these enough to prove I'm rentista?(Income from brokerage account and only title deeds, no lease contract, it's almost imposible to legalize and translate lease contract in China.)

Also, because I won't be in Chile during the process, will I be able to download the "Solicitud de Permanencia Definitiva en Tramite" online? Will I be able to pay Orden de Giro online(I have Cuenta vista with Banco Edwards which I can pay most bills and transfer money online)?

Lastly, who knows the current processing time?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:05 pm

I just wanted to quickly update some more info on this.

We have confirmed that they are requiring a criminal record only for reconsideration of a denied application.

Seems, immigration, in their infinite wisdom is using a right to request criminal record of anyone applying for residency, as a means to discourage people from applying for a reconsideration of a denied application.

Which compounds a massive problem or self-inflicted wound created by the bureaucrats at immigration. They will arbitrarily deny an application the first time, because they are simply behind, without even opening an application. They have been doing this for several years now. Then that forces the person applying to wait months for the notice they were denied, and apply again; but, now by placing this arbitrary requirement to submit a criminal record in 20 days or less, is essentially cutting off the route to appeal a denial or at least making it so difficult many people can not comply with the requirement.

Andres

Post by Andres » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Why bother?
Why not just reject the reconsideration before someone applies for it?

It's not as if they have not done that in the past!

They might as well send a letter rejecting the reconsideration at the same as they send a letter rejecting the original application.
But that would be too efficient. </sarcasm>

Has anyone here ever received an approval after reconsideration?
Have you ever heard of it happening, Charles?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:15 pm

mt208 wrote:
Juanito wrote:Is this information anywhere on Extranjeria's site? I'm about to send in application for PD, and they haven't updated their requisitos yet.
I'm looking through the whole website inside out now because I'm mailing out my PD application next week and I want to get all the documents correctly. There's no update on the requirements list for PD application now. But I do see that under the "Reconsideration" of PD, the required list of documents updated on 28/02/2017 includes this ridiculous documents:

"Certificado de Antecedentes Penales y/o Judiciales Vigente. Obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por su
Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su presentación), debidamente
apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país de origen además de traducido (cuando
corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Chile. ".

Because I applied Chilean temporary residence through Consulate, Extranjeria does not have any of my records. So I assume I need to provide my Police report from China, which is notarized and translated by Chinese notary and legalized by Chilean Consulate in China and Ministry of Foreign Affairs here. The document will be 3 months and 5 days old by the time I submit the application. So fingers crossed.

I have a few questions I hope someone might know the answer. As I'm applying for rentista visa, I have brokerage account from U.S, which I receive approximately 1000USD/Month dividends. I also have Property in China and Chile. I have my Title deed in China legalized and the title deed in Chile notarized, but do the bank statements from U.S need to be apostilled? Are these enough to prove I'm rentista?(Income from brokerage account and only title deeds, no lease contract, it's almost imposible to legalize and translate lease contract in China.)

Also, because I won't be in Chile during the process, will I be able to download the "Solicitud de Permanencia Definitiva en Tramite" online? Will I be able to pay Orden de Giro online(I have Cuenta vista with Banco Edwards which I can pay most bills and transfer money online)?

Lastly, who knows the current processing time?
I also have Property in China . I have my Title deed in China legalized
I thought in China, no citizen can own any property ? Or is it you can own an apartment or a house but you do not own the land where it is founded upon? I gather the Chinese government owns all of the land but you can lease or rent from it?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Andres wrote:Why bother?

They might as well send a letter rejecting the reconsideration at the same as they send a letter rejecting the original application.

Oh, we get approvals all the time. In fact most reasonable reconsideration, once submitted in the proper way are approved (e.g. 'dear sir, your secretary did not open my application'); well, unless you have some really messed up situation (e.g. your serial axe murder wanted in multiple countries, then it only a 50/50 chance).

Your first tier Analyst at immigration is barely required to finish high-school to get the job. In fact, I believe lack of world experience, education, and a talent for extraordinary laziness is a job requirement. Those are the guys that reject with arbitrary reasons applications without opening them.

The second round for appeals are dealt with by more senior level bureaucrats.

I think the first level, to get even with the second level bureaucrats, for years have been punting their work upstairs; resulting in a collapsed immigration system and lot's of delays.

So, on some level, you got appreciate one bureaucrat taking out frustrations on another bureaucrat. Still, does not help anyone actually trying to follow the rules.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Andres wrote:Why bother?

Oh, we get approvals all the time. In fact most reasonable reconsideration, once submitted in the proper way are approved (e.g. 'dear sir, your secretary did not open my application'); well, unless you have some really messed up situation (e.g. your serial axe murder wanted in multiple countries, then it is only a 50/50 chance).

Your first tier Analyst at immigration is barely required to finish high-school to get the job. In fact, I believe lack of world experience, education, and a talent for extraordinary laziness is a job requirement. Those are the guys that reject with arbitrary reasons applications without opening them.

The second round for appeals are dealt with by more senior level bureaucrats.

I think the first level, to get even with the second level bureaucrats, for years have been punting their work upstairs; resulting in a collapsed immigration system and lot's of delays.

So, on some level, you got appreciate one bureaucrat taking out frustrations on another bureaucrat. Still, does not help anyone actually trying to follow the rules.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Seriously though, recently with the tsunami of haitens, venzuelans, and just about everyone else, the bureaucrats at immigration have been making more and more mistakes. We are seeing rejections of applications types now, that never, ever were rejected before.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 pm

admin wrote:... requiring everyone to submit criminal records from their home country for permanent residency applications, and they can not be more than 20 days old from the data of issue.
Well, the post from the UK takes a lot longer than 20 days, so that would be interesting...