New Citizenship requirements as of February 28

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

fkoev

New Citizenship requirements as of February 28

Post by fkoev » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm in the process of gathering the documents for my citizenship application and I just happened to notice that they recently uploaded a new required documents list, valid as of February 28, 2017. The only change I've seen so far is this:
9. Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Chile.
As a US citizen I assume they want an FBI police report -- does anyone know if the US embassy here issue them?

I have no idea how I could have one ordered, then apostilled, and then sent back here to Chile within 20 days, let alone for someone from Venezuela or something. What a ridiculous requirement.

And would it have to be translated or are English documents still ok for such purposes?

dmwbmw2

Re: New Citizenship requirements as of February 28

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Seems like once again they have dreamed up a requirement that is almost impossible to comply with - guess there were just too many people managing to get through the system.
Sounds to me like it needs to be translated... además de traducido

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:17 pm

fkoev wrote:I'm in the process of gathering the documents for my citizenship application and I just happened to notice that they recently uploaded a new required documents list, valid as of February 28, 2017. The only change I've seen so far is this:
9. Certificado de Antecedentes Penales o Judiciales Vigente, obtenido en su país de origen, u otorgado por su Representación Consular (Su emisión no debe ser superior a 20 días desde la fecha de su presentación), debidamente apostillado o debidamente legalizado por el Consulado de Chile en el país de origen además de traducido (cuando corresponda) y legalizado por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Chile.
As a US citizen I assume they want an FBI police report -- does anyone know if the US embassy here issue them?

I have no idea how I could have one ordered, then apostilled, and then sent back here to Chile within 20 days, let alone for someone from Venezuela or something. What a ridiculous requirement.

And would it have to be translated or are English documents still ok for such purposes?
Lol, 20 days? How? How on earth are you supposed to do that? Have you asked the US embassy if they can do something like that?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

That marble POS near the Mapocho River? I highly doubt American Shitonthem Services do it, but would like to be proven wrong on this as I will apply next year for citizenship.

Back in another timeline, I ignorantly applied for a temporary visa at the Chilean Embassy in early 2001. Had to do the FBI report thingy, get the forms, get the fingerprints taken at the local police office, the submission to FBI, then wait for the report, then submit them with my app at the Embassy. Which brings into question, if it has to be done stateside, then you will need some kind of technical resident address to get the local police to do the fingerprints.

If things get even more impossible and strict, it will be much worse than losing the opportunity to get a Chilean license when all you had to do was show them your foreign one.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Last year, the Australian immigration department asked for a crime report from the FBI as part of the application for my Chilean partner to emigrate from Chile to Australia, despite the last time I lived in the US was 1986.
When I checked how to do it, I was told I had to get my fingerprints put on a card at a local police station, the police snailmail/post the prepared application and fingerprints to the US and wait for a response via snailmail.
(Thankfully Oz immigration changed their mind so I did not have to do it.)

Maybe this will help:
https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident ... ary-checks
(It is not the webpage I recall reading last year, but perhaps it replaces it.)
Note the processing time of 12 to 14 weeks.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 am

something smells about this. Will look in to it. Especially considering for most countries, the PDI has direct database access to criminal records now.

This has attempt by Bachelet to act like she is doing something about immigration written all over it, without pissing off all the Peruvian maid's families that voted for her.

again, apply for your citizenship as soon as you can. It just takes one low level bureaucrat to do something stupid like this, and things can get really hard.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am

We're eligible in January 2018.

Number 9 represents a nearly impossible request with all the steps required for the document (USA) within the time frame.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:41 am

o.k., on a practical level here are few things. Many consulates will issue and certify a police report. So this is going to be a hassle, but depends on your country.

Also, for the Hague convention countries, the Apostle process is digital now.

The translation process is now about 4 days at the foreign affairs ministry.

I see the reasoning behind this however. For years, Chile has been letting in people that were well behaved in Chile as residents, but in fact had serious criminal records outside the country. I am sure a few high-profile ones were brought to the government's attention, and suddenly it became a political priority.

I can think of several cases of foreigners I have heard of with felony convictions and even possibly active warrants, outside of the country that have received citizenship.

Overall, there seems to be some serious political pressure on the Bachelet administration to crack down on crime by foreigners, and people with criminal histories.

For example, this also seems to be a similar theme as the one related to the export of cars by tourist. That was done I am sure in part to crack down on the number of stolen vehicles leaving the country. Under the old system, someone on a tourist visa for instance could take a Chilean car, make up some fake documents, and cross in to a neighboring country before the car was even reported stolen.

remember, receiving citizenship in Chile is not a right. Once you have citizenship, then you have a lot more rights. The very law that extends the ability to most foreigners with permanent residency to apply for citizenship, was a broad interpretation of a law targeted at children of exhiles that did not want to renounce their citizenship in other countries in order obtain Chilean citizenship (it allowed for dual citizenship). They might very well narrow that interpretation at any time, for all sorts of reasons and in all sorts of strange ways.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 pm

O.k., as soon as we get some time, we are going to have a talk with our contacts at the legal department of immigration to see what is going on with this.

fkoev

Post by fkoev » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks, that would be of great help.

fkoev

Post by fkoev » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 am

So I explained the situation to a couple of different people at the Extranjeria and was told that I do need a legalized or apostilled police report but they will accept a copy that was scanned and then printed.

I decided to go ahead with the trámite since I'm going to be in the States for a week next month so I'll get the fingerprints done there, and then email the results to a company in the DC area that will take it in and get it apostilled. Since it can be sent by email to Chile and because Chile is part of the apostille convention now it looks like I'll be able to meet that 20 day requirement, and will only cost me $105 USD instead of $200+ trying to send things back and forth with FedEx or DHL or whatnot. And it won't need to be translated since it will be in English.

If someone wants to get their fingerprints done here in Chile here is one place that offers that service: http://www.colcrim.cl/toma-de-impresiones-dactilares/

El Chalafad

Post by El Chalafad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Will you please post a link to the rest of the list of requirements? I am beginning the process today. From the USA. Any tips appreciated. Thank you.