Foreigners without residency, can not leave with Chilean car

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

HybridAmbassador

Re: Foreigners without residency, can not leave with Chilean car

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:04 pm

peregrine77 wrote:Our friends residing here on a tourist visa were turned back on their way to Bariloche last Tuesday. They rented a car two days later and crossed without insident.
OK, your friend turned back going to Bariloche, were they driving their " overlanding vehicle " of their own? A car loaned from a friend, a rental car? Or just a vehicle they purchased in Chile with a tourist visa and temp ID ?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Sorry for the confusion, our friends bought their car here in Chile.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Thats a pretty strong policy for a country that cant connect the north and south by road. I guess going from Coyhaique to Punta Arenas is out of the question.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Spudzilla wrote:Thats a pretty strong policy for a country that cant connect the north and south by road. I guess going from Coyhaique to Punta Arenas is out of the question.

Take the ferry down.......
It's all about the wine.

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 am

Sorry for the confusion. First they unsuccessfully attempted to cross in their own vehicle. They had no problem in a rental car.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 pm

So your visa (eg. subject to contract or official) ends and you revert to being a tourist with just 30 days or whatever to leave the country. You need to do a border run to give you some more time to wind up your affairs. How are you supposed to get there?? :roll:

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:08 pm

jehturner wrote:So your visa (eg. subject to contract or official) ends and you revert to being a tourist with just 30 days or whatever to leave the country. You need to do a border run to give you some more time to wind up your affairs. How are you supposed to get there?? :roll:
Depends where you want to go for your border run but fly or bus are the obvious ones.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 pm

jehturner wrote:So your visa (eg. subject to contract or official) ends and you revert to being a tourist with just 30 days or whatever to leave the country. You need to do a border run to give you some more time to wind up your affairs. How are you supposed to get there?? :roll:
Is that a real question? You'd do the exact same thing as anyone else without a car. How'd you get into the country in the first place?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:
Is that a real question? You'd do the exact same thing as anyone else without a car. How'd you get into the country in the first place?
You have a permanent RUT number issued, as at some point you had a national ID to go with your work visa. If you came back in 5 years, and applied for another visa, they would issue you the same RUT. Now, did they think that one through or inform anyone checking at the boarder, probably not. It is a 'just so case', that could be problematic, but likely a very, very small number of people will ever fit in that category. Like anything, you can find outlying situation no one thought through.

AGAIN NOTHING TO DO WITH PEOPLE THAT HAVE OBTAINED RESIDENCY STATUS OF ANY SORT!!!!!

That said, it is probably still cheaper to fly / take a bus over the boarder.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:48 am

I have got a number of reports from acquaintances and friends of friends that they have been turned around at the border with a Chilean motorcycle and a tourist visa. One fellow had crossed 6 times at various borders in the last few months when he finally got stopped. I assume he will drive to a smaller border and try again, not sure if they will be keeping track of such things.

But the implementation still seems hit and miss.

Any more definitive word on the status of this?

at46

Post by at46 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:24 am

I got turned around at los libertadores because their database still had my car registered in the previous owner's name. The fact that I had a purchase contract with me didn't matter. I had to go in to registro civil and get a copy of the certificado de inscripción with my name on it. Another thing that can be confusing to them is if the tourist RUT under which the car was purchased is different from the temporaria RUT.

Paiji

Post by Paiji » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi there!

I'm planning a roadtrip across South America in a few months and have some contacts to buy a camper in Santiago.
Before buying it, I just want to make sure that i'll be able to cross the borders without issues if I have the ownership papers/rut in order? I'm likely to cross several times the border going south to Tierra del Fuego and then going up north again, up to Colombia.

Also - we found some really cool VW T2 campers and we would like to bring it back to Canada (not an issue to import on the canadian side) - but can I bring it back to Canada? Do I need special papworks form the chilean government for permanent export, or just going out and never coming back is an option? Can I get them at the border (likely I'm going to enter Argentina, and from there drive directly to Bolivia).
My case is quite different from other as I don't plan to sell the car, I just want to keep it and register it in Canada.

Thank you for all your help - it's hard to find clear answers on that topic :(