Foreigners without residency, can not leave with Chilean car

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Milesmcc

Re: Foreigners without residency, can not leave with Chilean car

Post by Milesmcc » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Out of curiosity what are some ballpark figures for export tax. Im wondering because if I come down and buy a car and can't get my residency all cleared up I don't want to deal with selling it.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Paiji wrote:Hi there!

I'm planning a roadtrip across South America in a few months and have some contacts to buy a camper in Santiago.
Before buying it, I just want to make sure that i'll be able to cross the borders without issues if I have the ownership papers/rut in order? I'm likely to cross several times the border going south to Tierra del Fuego and then going up north again, up to Colombia.

Also - we found some really cool VW T2 campers and we would like to bring it back to Canada (not an issue to import on the canadian side) - but can I bring it back to Canada? Do I need special papworks form the chilean government for permanent export, or just going out and never coming back is an option? Can I get them at the border (likely I'm going to enter Argentina, and from there drive directly to Bolivia).
My case is quite different from other as I don't plan to sell the car, I just want to keep it and register it in Canada.

Thank you for all your help - it's hard to find clear answers on that topic :(
As pointed out in the title, Chilean car no residency, no border crossing, new law........read this whole topic........
It's all about the wine.

Milesmcc

Post by Milesmcc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Would contacting an embassy help with border crossing without residency. I'm grasping at straws because I really want to purchase a car while in Chile but if say after my 90 days of being a "tourist" I decide hey this isn't working then what am I supposed to do. Try to sell it. Leave in a parking lot forever. I mean why even let us buy a car at this point. Just sucks plane tickets are already bought and I'll need a car because renting one is ridiculously overpriced.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Milesmcc wrote:Would contacting an embassy help with border crossing without residency. I'm grasping at straws because I really want to purchase a car while in Chile but if say after my 90 days of being a "tourist" I decide hey this isn't working then what am I supposed to do. Try to sell it. Leave in a parking lot forever. I mean why even let us buy a car at this point. Just sucks plane tickets are already bought and I'll need a car because renting one is ridiculously overpriced.
I hate to be a bearer of bad news but the embassy won't help you unless you are told you are going to jail for some reason and even though the only thing you'll be getting is half ass lawyer. The US Embassy is the most inefficient piece of....work there is.
No need for you to get a car. Even in PM has plenty of public transportation so once you get here you'll get the feeling. I know this moving is getting the best and worse of you but do not rush and take it with calm.....remember...one step at a time.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Milesmcc wrote:Would contacting an embassy help with border crossing without residency. I'm grasping at straws because I really want to purchase a car while in Chile but if say after my 90 days of being a "tourist" I decide hey this isn't working then what am I supposed to do. Try to sell it. Leave in a parking lot forever. I mean why even let us buy a car at this point. Just sucks plane tickets are already bought and I'll need a car because renting one is ridiculously overpriced.

Your embassy is going to change a Chilean law for you! Good luck, you can tour Chile, even the far south by ferry to get there and back after 90 days park it cross the border return and you have another 90 days.........
It's all about the wine.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 pm

There are excellent buses within Chile and crossing borders to neighbouring countries. There are flights idem. Why buy a car when you say yourself you might not want to stay after your initial 90 day tourist visa? You would take a huge financial hit trying to sell a car 90 days after you bought it. Just use public transport, no need to rent a car, and you would have a better chance of interacting with locals.

Overlander

Post by Overlander » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:22 pm

I have been criss crossing between Chile and Argentina for years, using a Chilean registered Defender 110 and never had any problems at any border crossings. I dont have Chilean residence. The vehicle is registered in my wife's name. She holds dual citizenship. I travel with a Power of Attorney from her, given me permission to take the car out of the country. I am currently planning to drive the US, and guess I will find out in due time what red tape I will run into once shipping the vehicle back to Chile after spending a year plus out of the county. It sounds to me that this law is not being enforced.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 am

Overlander wrote: The vehicle is registered in my wife's name. She holds dual citizenship.
PEOPLE, STOP POSTING 'JUST SO' CASES OF VEHICLES REGISTERED TO ANYONE BUT A TOURIST!!!!!

There are thousand posts on the forum dealing with all manners of car registration and immigration.

THIS ONLY ABOUT TOURIST, BUYING A CHILEAN CAR, AND TAKING THE CAR OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hangtwo

Post by hangtwo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:23 pm

Registered here to provide my experiences early 2017.

I had a resident permit which expired 4 days prior to leaving the border at Chile Chico. I had my receipt for the post office for the definitiva.

I could not cross the border at Chile Chico and had to get my exit stamp anulled, they said I wouldn't be let out of the country with the car until I had the definitiva.

One idea we had that could work, visiting a notary and giving permission for a Chilean to take your car out of the country, and then you leave the country with them and enter Argentina as the driver. We didn't go through with this plan as it was a Saturday and YMMV.

We crossed at Paso Roballos that same day. It's a unique border because there is no PDI/Customs there and it's manned by the carabineros, they follow a different set of directives.

That could help those of you in the situation. The other thing is to sign up to the FB group overlanding the americas / the forums at Drive The Americas and seeing what people do there, apparently all it took for some people is to sign a declaracion jurada at a notary that they would come back to Chile with their vehicle within 3 months and then they were let out.

Boga

Post by Boga » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 am

Hi, I`m new here, but I find here news very useful.
According to the law changes I need an address in Chile to apply for temporary and permanent residency. We have a "campo" in Aysen and a house under construction. We stay there. So once I apply for retirement visa in Coyhaique I plan to give them my address but it`s Road number... km...
That`s all. The mail is not delivered there to any of the houses but it`s usually left in nearby village in supermercado or some offices. So how does it fit in new regulations is it sufficient for them or should I rent an apartment for those years waiting for the paperwork to be dome with?
Also, I have a tourist car so every 3 month have to renew visa for it. can I leave Chile for a few hours waiting for the visa to be granted?