Chilean Driver's License

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

mt208

Chilean Driver's License

Post by mt208 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:56 am

Its harder than getting residency!!!
I got my temporary residency from Chilean consulate in New York in less than one month. I have driver's license from New York for 3 years, also have a drivers license from China for one year.
there are three required documents for Chilean Driver's License:
1. Certificado de Estudios equivalente o superior a 8 Basico Chileano.
2. Cedula de Identidad de Extranjeros Vigente
3. Certificado de Domicilio

Just three documents, Sounds easy?
NOT AT ALL !!!!!!

I went to the Licencias de Conducir office 4 times.
I have my high school diploma Apostilled in New York, translated by Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores. This is considered the most annoying and complicated step. I'm glad I finished it in 20 days. (My friend in New York helped me have my diploma apostilled in NY. and mailed it to me. And the translation in Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores took around 2 weeks).

Today, I'm done, i'm done trying. she told me:
1. New York apostilled documents are not accepted. But if apostilled in other states of US would be.(WTF???)
2. I can't use my diploma to prove I finished 8th grade. I have to use my transcript. Which means I have to redo all the stuff with my transcript in States other than New York. (Did New York government do something that pissed Chilean government off?)
Finally, because I'm still learning Spanish, my Spanish is not that good, I did not understand something she said, because she speaks so damn fast. Then the lady told me, you should not try to get a driver's license when you can't understand Spanish. (I learned Spanish from scratch for two months, how about give me some time? and wow!!)

Anyone else has similar experience?

mt208

Re: Chilean Driver's License

Post by mt208 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:27 pm

Gloria wrote:Where do you live mt208 and where did you try to process the DL?
I live in Santiago Centro. Tried to process it at municipalidad de santiago.

mt208

Post by mt208 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Gloria wrote:
mt208 wrote:
Gloria wrote:Where do you live mt208 and where did you try to process the DL?
I live in Santiago Centro. Tried to process it at municipalidad de santiago.
I would like to suggest to try a smaller "comuna" or even out of town. Also it would be a good idea for you to get a POB at a post office so even if you move somewhere else your mail will be there for you to collect and you may be able to use your POB as an address ( I have). I was also wondering why would you want to get a DL when Santiago has so much transportation available. I have no idea how long you live in the country but having a car sometimes is more of a deterrent than a convenience especially if you have not lived in long enough to know how the system works.

Thank you for the advice, I want to get a driver's license is because I will be on a road trip with my cousin next year in March, we will also cross the borders with car. I heard that I cant drive with a foreign license if I have Chilean residency.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:59 pm

just 4 times?

Count yourself lucky.

I had to do 5 different offices, 3 of them twice, to renew my chilean driver's license. That was after I had a friend of a friend at the city where I got my license in the first place rush the forwarding of the records to where I live now. The only test involved was the hand coordination / eye test thing.

All that would have really sucked if I lived in a larger city where there was some sort of line.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

mt208

Post by mt208 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:26 pm

admin wrote:just 4 times?

Count yourself lucky.

I had to do 5 different offices, 3 of them twice, to renew my chilean driver's license. That was after I had a friend of a friend at the city where I got my license in the first place rush the forwarding of the records to where I live now. The only test involved was the hand coordination / eye test thing.

All that would have really sucked if I lived in a larger city where there was some sort of line.

Seriously, there need to be some changes in this system, or the people employed by the government. The four visits are only the visits I went into the offices and get a number and sit down and talk to one of the employee. I didn't count the visits where they were closed due to strike, or no more numbers for the day, or the legalization and translation process. But hey, at least you get something done there, I got NOTHING done, because I have no idea what they want next time I visit, yes, they tell me different things every single time I visit the office.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm

Do you have a university degree that you used to get your visa? If you get that translated it should work (that's what I did for my license.) Other option would be to see what the waiting time is for the octavo basico test is... I'm not sure how hard it would be without an intermediate level of Spanish.....

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:21 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:Do you have a university degree that you used to get your visa? If you get that translated it should work (that's what I did for my license.) Other option would be to see what the waiting time is for the octavo basico test is... I'm not sure how hard it would be without an intermediate level of Spanish.....
What's the test? I want to go to a driving school next winter and then try to pass the driving test.

mt208

Post by mt208 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 pm

Octavo Basico is definitely not possible for me since my Spanish still sucks. I used my high school diploma, since I will go to university next year. I just dont get it why a high school diploma is not sufficient enough to demonstrate that I received higher than 8th grade education. And I also dont understand why is Chile and US both in the agreement for apostille, but the apostille from New York is not acceptable.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 pm

mt208 wrote:Octavo Basico is definitely not possible for me since my Spanish still sucks. I used my high school diploma, since I will go to university next year. I just dont get it why a high school diploma is not sufficient enough to demonstrate that I received higher than 8th grade education. And I also dont understand why is Chile and US both in the agreement for apostille, but the apostille from New York is not acceptable.
Welcome to Shhhhhiiile grasshoppa...
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:48 pm

I don't think the American Embassy can help with this Gloria, but I assume you're joking.

I think (to the OP) that this is partly just bad luck (you've stumbled on one of the few really crappy Chilean processes), partly it's just some fundamental truth that it can be difficult to deal with stuff in a developing country, and partly this is down to your inexperience. If you lived here a couple of years and improved your Spanish you'd find things start to move more smoothly.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:15 am

mt208 wrote:Octavo Basico is definitely not possible for me since my Spanish still sucks. I used my high school diploma, since I will go to university next year. I just dont get it why a high school diploma is not sufficient enough to demonstrate that I received higher than 8th grade education. And I also dont understand why is Chile and US both in the agreement for apostille, but the apostille from New York is not acceptable.
I'd try your chances with a more gringo-friendly comuna. Try calling Providencia and Las Condes and plead your case.

at46

Post by at46 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:30 am

Maybe you can go to Vina to try your luck. They accepted my Canadian licence in lieu of education certificate. In fact, their website doesn't even list the education certificate as a prerequisite. http://www.vinadelmarchile.cl/uploads/2 ... lacion.pdf

You can schedule your appointment online here http://201.238.237.195/VinaDelMar/Cupos ... uario.aspx

They didn't ask for any proof of residence from me, just the address. But you probably need to use some creative thinking to satisfy this requirement in case it comes up.