New Regulations for Residency in Chile, 2016

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

papageno

Re: New Regulations for Residency in Chile, 2016

Post by papageno » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:55 am

I can believe that. Based on my situation, I came up with rough annual fixed costs of $20-$23K for greater Reno or southern Arizona, with southern Chile possibly ending up in the same range, depending on lots of variables.Initially, Chile would be more expensive due to ongoing U.S. expenses that would eventually fall away (storage, maintaining U.S. health coverage, etc).I figured first year fixed costs of about $30k. And if by international you mean maintaining two residences, $60K sounds about right. YMMV, as they say.

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm

AHusband wrote:I think it has been stated elsewhere, but I think you need 20m CLP (30k USD) per year to live in Chile and if you want to be international/etc you need 40m CLP (60k USD) per year.
Really ?
I live in Germany (very nice rented flat in a small village , BMW, food, internet, fun...) for around €15,000-€18,000 a year.
Ok, i'm single (no kids) and i'm generally careful with money but still cant imagine that a good life in Chile will be nearly double as expensive as a good life in Germany.

Sure, initially you need more money then average because you may buy a car, pay caution money for a flat and buy furniture.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:25 pm

I don't know, obviously depends where and how you live, but I would say most foreigners would get by on 1,000,000 pesos a month just fine in most parts of Chile right now. 500,000 pesos, would be cutting it close, and again depends on where and how you are living.

If your paying 500,000 - 1 million pesos a month in rent in Santiago, eating out 2-3 times a week, taking taxi everywhere, eating a lot of imported gringo food, comfortable living will be somewhere over 2 million pesos a month. Obviously, you can spend 10 million pesos a month on rent or more on the top end in Santiago. Don't expect to live in the newest hottest neighborhoods and buildings for a $200 U.S. a month, or really anywhere in Chile.

If your living somewhere outside of Santiago, middle class neighborhood, eating at home, you could get by for less than 500,000 a month per person. Perhaps.

That is all of course after settling in costs.

So, yea about 12 million on the low end would be minimal budget for one person.

NOTE TO FUTURE READERS: PLEASE DO NOT CALL ME UP AND ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE, "BUT ON THIS THREAD YOU SAID I ONLY NEED BLA, BLA". CHECK THE DATE, CHECK THE EXCHANGE RATE, AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK FOR CURRENT COSTS OF LIVING!!! These numbers were likely wrong by the time I even posted them.

Sorry, i have had a crazy number of people call me this year, quoting numbers from the forum, that are sometimes 8 years old like it was written in a law somewhere and then getting mad at me when I had to break the news to them that Chile was expensive.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:52 pm

AHusband wrote:I think it has been stated elsewhere, but I think you need 20m CLP (30k USD) per year to live in Chile and if you want to be international/etc you need 40m CLP (60k USD) per year.
Yeah, and more if living in Santiasco. But avrg _sueldo_ there in Chile lindo is approx. US$350 per month being told? With that figure you have to live very frugally and way deep in the "campo" .. No every day Biztek as Chilean say, and no liter fine wine per day. But mostly "pollo" guisado con "Papa" hervido y pan. Very basic and healthy !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

AHusband

Post by AHusband » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:55 pm

I should say that my numbers are for 3 people and a car in Vina/Valpo (so a bit more in Santiago and a bit less other places). My reasoning is probably similar to the Admin who gets 12m for one person.

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:04 pm

AHusband wrote:I should say that my numbers are for 3 people and a car in Vina/Valpo (so a bit more in Santiago and a bit less other places). My reasoning is probably similar to the Admin who gets 12m for one person.
3 people, now it makes sense. :wink:

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:06 pm

Wiggum wrote:
Really ?
I live in Germany (very nice rented flat in a small village , BMW, food, internet, fun...) for around €15,000-€18,000 a year.
Ok, i'm single (no kids) and i'm generally careful with money but still cant imagine that a good life in Chile will be nearly double as expensive as a good life in Germany.

Sure, initially you need more money then average because you may buy a car, pay caution money for a flat and buy furniture.
Must be way in the vicinity of Black Forest in Germany somewhere. That flat must be very rudimentary and old. That BeeMer aged as pre 3 series as the square box 2002 2dr vintage 1980 perhaps? ( No pun nor offense intended ) I used to drive one in my college days in NYC,circa 1970 then exchanged for a BMW 530i Getrag 4 spd manual trnas even that one only valued at US$10k. My ex-colleague living in outskirt of Bavaria, saz at least €40.000 per month. So 15~18 k Euros per year for your living expenses is very cheap indeed !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Wiggum

Post by Wiggum » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:16 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: Must be way in the vicinity of Black Forest in Germany somewhere. That flat must be very rudimentary and old. That BeeMer aged as pre 3 series as the square box 2002 2dr vintage 1980 perhaps? ( No pun nor offense intended ) I used to drive one in my college days in NYC,circa 1970 then exchanged for a BMW 530i Getrag 4 spd manual trnas even that one only valued at US$10k. My ex-colleague living in outskirt of Bavaria, saz at least €40.000 per month. So 15~18 k Euros per year for your living expenses is very cheap indeed !
The flat is 50m² and the interior is new (brand new kitchen and bathroom) + in a very good middle-class neighborhood. I pay €400 + electricity (€25) + internet (€30) per month. The BMW is a BMW 330Cd Coupe M (Diesel, 2004) i bought as a used car for €11,000 3 years ago.

But i think that is way to much Off-Topic now...

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:31 pm

On the cost of living in Chile, there is already a thread:
Can you afford to live in Chile????

http://allchile.net/chileforum/viewtopi ... =9820.html

malma

Post by malma » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:37 pm

500,000 pesos, would be cutting it close
I have heard this number as a minimum to get by. You wouldn't really be able to save any money, eg, vacations, unexpected expenses, trips home to see the relos etc. would not be covered.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:22 pm

frozen-north wrote:On the cost of living in Chile, there is already a thread:
Can you afford to live in Chile????

http://allchile.net/chileforum/viewtopi ... =9820.html
yea that thread is likely a better place to discuss costs of living
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:22 am

Has anybody tried to apply for Permanencia Definitiva after a Rentista visa based on a work contract?

Do they still accept work contracts for it or I will need a new one with passive income like for the visa?