cottage food laws

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Nomad

cottage food laws

Post by Nomad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:40 am

Does anyone know if Chile has the equivalent of the cottage food laws that some states in the US have? Like canning jellies and fruit at my house to sell at the local market do I have to have my kitchen inspected and all the things that a larger operation has to go through? or is there an exemption for small home based non-potentially hazardous food producers? Also is hummus popular there?

Andres

Re: cottage food laws

Post by Andres » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:10 am

Regarding hummus:
From my experience, hummus is not well-known in Santiago.
In Australia it is rare not to have hummus available when purchasing a kebab (often called a 'shawarma' in Chile).
In Chile, no kebab/shawarma shop I ever visited (about 8 or 10 of them) knew what I was talking about when I asked for hummus.
I think I saw someone selling some at a food fair once. (Of course it was also available at the annual 'International Day' at Parque Inés de Suárez.)
I never saw it in supermarkets.
Nor at any middle eastern restaurants I ate at.
I was surprised, considering the large number of people in Chile who came from the middle east or their ancestors did.

BUT, a search on 'hummus Santiago' gets several hits.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:04 am

Regarding regulation of home-cooked food for sale, look at articles 9 and 10 of the following:
http://www.nunoa.cl/images/pdf/ordenanz ... anza10.pdf

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks :) I saved that and will read it as soon as I learn spanish.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:34 am

. . . and/or they will not be following their own laws, of either version.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:05 am

There is a commercial brand of fresh hummus which has been available in Jumbo for at least 2 years, but that may be after Andres left Chile. The whole food scene in Santiago (can't speak for other regions) has changed a lot. Not that I am personally interested but things like kale are regularly available. It depends on the neighbourhood a bit as to what is available, just as anywhere.

As for cottage industry food preparation (regular production of food by an individual rather than a company), you do need to be registered with the taxman and also health authorities. There are a lot of people selling homemade food via facebook groups and I don't imagine they have any seal of approval, though I would not buy them either. Without any idea in what conditions it is prepared I prefer to abstain. The risks of food contamination are a good deal riskier with amateurs than professionals.

Nomad could check out the facebook page for Food Finds in Chile and ask there. There are quite a few people offering food for sale. Some, I know, are registered and some I imagine are not.

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:47 pm

This is a long term project. Im still trying to figure out if i am going to go to chile. It will be a ways off if i do so no i dont know spanish yet but im not hopping on a plane tomarow. I really want to go but id be starting over so many things from scratch. Its very overwhelming

Andres

Post by Andres » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Try visiting first, AND TRY ACCOMPLISHING SOMETHING WHILE VISITING.
Chile isn't bad as a travel (tourist) destination but is a sh*t, pain-in-the-ass place to accomplish any4hing meaningful (like a career or business).

Nomad

Post by Nomad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Oh yes I intend to visit first. Though reading on the forum here im confused a little about the way i should plan the rest of the sequence of events if i decide i want to live there.
Like my job is here in the US and requiers my physical presence to make an income. So if i go there does that qualify as periodic income for a temp res and i should not officially quit my job till i have the temp res? or should i quit and look for work in chile then get a work visa?

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:55 pm

I have seen hummus available at the Lider in Chicuero ( just last week). Not sure if other liders carry it, but I would imagine any Lider in a more upscale area would.
Living the life!

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:34 am

We're using Mexican canned bean paste instead of hummus. You can find them in Lider at the "national food" aisle.

papageno

Post by papageno » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:13 am

Do they also have ground chipotle pepper? (smoked jalapeno)