Getting Permanent Residence

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Britkid

Getting Permanent Residence

Post by Britkid » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:50 pm

So, the forum may be stuck with me for a while yet, I am now permanent resident in Chile! :D

It took 5 months, but I probably could have done it in 3 months if I’d sent fuller information in the first place, checked the online system more often and reacted more quickly to requests. My situation at the beginning was that I already had temporary residency expiring in May, and that I live in Chile married to my Chilena, with 2 kids which of course already have Chilean nationality.

If anyone's going through the process of getting a temporary visa having only just arrived in the country with a tourist visa perhaps
my thread from last year is what you want instead of this one: http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/view ... 35&t=11909

This thread is for getting permanent residency, after already living here for a year on temp residency. So, in all the gory detail. Wow just read this back, this is a loooooong post. Get yourself a couple of empanadas and get settled in before reading it. Cancel the appointment you have an hour from now. OK, here goes:

Paperwork I had to get in advance
Went to Registro Civil in late March, early April, to get wife’s birth certificate and my Certificado de Antecedentes, which took about 2 minutes.
Certificado de Viajes, Policia. Monday, April 6th. The right hand of 2 entrances, and just to the right a small queue where someone was asking what you want and handing out tickets for you. I got there about 9am, and was out by about 10am, the only thing they asked to see was my cedula. They charged me 800 pesos. http://www.policia.cl/extranjeria/docum ... iones.html also states you have to take (photocopy of) passport although I was not asked for that.

Preparing the main form and documents
As stated in the form “Requisitos de Permanecia Definitiva por Correo Para Residentes Con Visacion Temporaria Por Vinculo Con Chileno". I had to send the form, “Solicitud de Permanencia Definitiva Por Correo”, the “Certificado de Antecedentes” (got from Registro Civil), Certificadeo de Viajes, photocopy of dedula (both sides), fotocopia de certificado de registro (a white paper/card gotten 1 year ago in the temporary residence application part), passport photocopy, personal letter indicating your motives (I focused on that I have Chilean wife and children as sufficient reason), 3 photos of size 2x3cm in colour with name and cedula printed on (some photo shops should know how to do all this).

I also had to send marriage certificate, wife’s birth certificate, and my work contract. I just sent this in English, since there was a note saying you don’t have to translate from English and certain other major European languages. There was also a mention of “Certificado de vigencia del contrato, firmado ante notario” I skipped that bit out as my contract still extended to a future date as stated in the contract, and I didn’t think they’d reject me for this. (Probably a mistake as they would later ask for more information on this topic.) There was also a mention of “Certificado Historico de Cotizaciones de Institucion Previsional y de Salud” that didn’t seem relevant, so I didn’t submit such a document.

Posting the main form and checking it arrived
Posted visa application 8th April by courier, which cost 2,000. Going to correos.cl with the codigo de envio I was able to see that it arrived the next day in a mail box and was picked up by a named person the day after that, 10th April.

Keep the “Codigo Envio” and use that on Exranjeria website for status update inputting here http://consultas.extranjeria.gob.cl/index.action where it says “Codigo de Correos”. You can also get online updates by inputting in a separate place your country, name and other details, however unless you input all of them precisely as they have recorded it (e.g. Inglaterra rather than Reino Unido), it will not work.

Checked 12th May and it just said “recepcionada” and to check later. Checked 18th May and it said, “Se informa que se ha recepcionado carta con el código xxxxxxxxx, para revisar el estado de su solicitud puede consultar POR NOMBRE o RUN CHILENO.” Using Nombre, used “James Robert” (i.e. had to include my middle name) and “Inglaterra” rather than Reino Unido. It said approx. 45 days to wait.

Further information requested
A letter I downloaded on 28th May, dated 15th May, contained further 2 parts the first being a certificate showing that I can stay for 6 months from the date of application legally in the country. Further, a letter requested additional information:
-ACREDITAR ACTIVIDAD E INGRESOS PARA MANTENERSE EN EL PAIS, DURANTE TODO EL
PERIODO DE LA VISACIÓN CON DOCUMENTOS IDONEOS.
-CERTIFICADO MATRIMONIO VISADO POR EL CONSULADO CORRESPONDIENTE Y LEGALIZADO EN EL
MINISTERIO DE RELACIONES EXTERIORES DE CHILE, Y/O INSCRITO EN CHILE O LEGALIZADO
ANTE NOTARIO.
-CERTIFICADO NACIMIENTO HIJO(S) CHILENOS.
I am not clear to what extent this was stuff I should have sent in the first place, or if it was additional requests. To the children’s birth certificate, I should have perhaps sent that in the first place, I may have misinterpreted the form as I thought you had to provide evidence relating to Chilean partner OR family, not both, but looking again I was probably wrong. The details on my activity/ingresos I thought I had covered that already by sending my work contract. Asking me to legalize my wedding certificate seems to contradict what the original form stated about: “Si el matrimonio se realizó fuera de Chile, presentar copia simple del certificado de matrimonio en el extranjero”.

Letter and certificate to say it's in process - needed if travelling abroad
In the letter there was a statement: "Se le adjunta copia de la SOLICITUD DE PERMANENCIA DEFINITIVA, la cual
deberá mantener en su poder, y acredita que Ud. reside de manera regular en el
país y PODRÁ SEGUIR DESARROLLANDO CUALQUIER ACTIVIDAD LÍCITA permitida por su visa
de residencia anterior, como también salir e ingresar al territorio nacional."
In July I travelled abroad and had to take with me the certificate I received with my original application, showing I had 6 months more in the country. My original temporary residency had expired at this point.

I tried to download this letter online, and it said that I had exceeded the 3 downloads allowed, so I have to go into the nearest extranjeria office to get it. This was not correct exacctly about exceeding the number of downloads, however it just died or crashed the first couple of times I pressed the button to try it. I didn't go the office in the end, I think I just waited a little while longer and the paper letter arrived. (Usually things appeared on the online system, and then the same letters came in the post some days later.)

Confirming what they meant by the further information, and sending it
I called the office on 600 486 3000 (open 9-4, option 3 for Permanent Residence) to discuss how to meet the requested extra information and for the first point on the employment they suggested sending a certificate of antiguidad laboral/vigencia laboral and liquidaciones de sueldo. For the wedding part, the Civil Registry certificate (possibly should have included this in the first place).

I sent (4th June) my last 5 payslips (in a few cases I only had invoices) and wedding and birth certificates from the Reigstro Civil (cost 700 pesos each one).

Seeing if they received the further information
5th June checked online and could not get postal code to work this time to confirm if received, and no update made yet.
11th June called and letter not received yet, and said this is normal and suggest to call next week. They said something about a period of time before this might get addressed – I forget how long but may have been a month or two.
12th June saw online in the system that documents received and registered.

More information requested
A letter was sent on 2nd July which I didn’t receive until about 25th July when I got back from a few weeks travel abroad. It asked me to “acreditar actividad que realiza en el pais” which I thought I’d done already but evidently what I sent before was not deemed satisfactory :x . I looked on the online portal on 30th July, and it wasn’t there this time, so lucky the letter arrived.

I sent my contract this time (on 3rd August) which I got legalized at a notary and an older contract and a letter of explanation. To get the contract legalized was a bit tricky since it was an electronically handled contracted which I just printed, so it didn’t look like an original and no paper original existed. However, what they did is I sat in a room with the notary while I logged into my email for them, showing them that I had received the contract from a stated email address corresponding to the company, and that I had indeed sent it back signed. With this they were willing to notarise it. For around 20,000 or 30,000 if I recall.

I checked the website on 6th, August, and the contract had not been received. I checked again on 10th, August and it was.“Antecedentes complementarios recibidos” when logging in here: http://consultas.extranjeria.gob.cl/aut ... ion=nombre

I checked once a week in the online system and on 8th September saw a message I hadn’t seen before that on 12th August my solictud was aprobada :) and that I "podrá retirarlo en el Departamento de Extranjería correspondiente a su domicilio, presentando su pasaporte o documento de identidad. El horario de atención es de 8.30 a 14.00 hrs., de lunes a viernes.”

Getting the certificate
23rd September (yesterday) went to San Antonio, 580, Piso 3 (Santiago centre) for this tramite, arriving at 8.35. Got a ticket however the electronic system was collapsed and there was a chaos of people hanging around. Eventually it started up working and it was showing P11 and my number was P22 so I went to sit down at the back as instructed but then someone was manually (vocally) calling P numbers including my number and so a manual queue was formed of about 10 people. I don’t know why as the ticket system was working by this point.

I didn’t have to show much, passport was all I showed I think, although I had the old RUT card incase of need. They handed over the certificate quickly and that was that, I was out of there by 9.05. They also gave me a piece of paper that has instructions on including to inform them about a change of address or “actividades laborales” and that permanent residence will be revoked if a year is spent outside Chile, unless going to a Chilean consulate with a reasons such as studies, illness or “otra causa justificada”.

Unlike the temporary visa, the certificado de permanencia definitiva is a separate certificate, not to be stamped in the passport. I confirmed this at extranjeria, and was told it’s a certificate and not a visa. I was not asked for any money and I don’t think I paid anything at all for permanent residence certificate (unlike the temporary visa last year, that had a charge and a payment step). Overall I spent around 40,000 throughout the whole process I think, of which the majority went to the notary for the contract, with other posting fees and other things cited above.

He said, upon giving me the certificate, it was not required to take the certificate for travel outside of Chile, just the RUT card, plus passport if going outside of Mercosur Latin American countries. The certificate I should keep, he said however, for any future tramites.

Getting registered at police
They also gave me some instructions to go to Policia International (on Eleuterio Ramirez 852) to get my Certificado. I arrived at 9.25. They have changed the system slightly sometime in the last few months in that after queuing up to get your ticket from the person you come to after going to the door you are fed automatically into the queue to pay (800 pesos was mine). I got there and I had B196 and the number was B117. About half way towards my number someone came walking through the hall asking for people that were doing my tramite and had us form a queue at a certain number.

As I stood in the queue, I noticed the system had gone on the blink again and was showing 000s for all the electronic queues except the tarjeta de viajes that was still working. So maybe that was why I was put in a queue manually. After a few minutes it started working again but we remained in this queue anyway. The guy in front of me had done very well out of this, as his number was over 300. I actually did OK out of this myself, as the number was showing B168 compared to my B196 when I walked out a few minutes later at 10.55. I showed the my Certificado de Permanencia Definitiva, the receipt for paying 800 pesos, my RUT card, and passport, and got my certificate very fast. The photo they just reused from a year ago.

New RUT card
The next step after this is to get my RUT card which I haven't done yet but should be easy.

Some general thoughts
A bit more involved than getting temp residency, but similar process.
A bit hit and miss at times (e.g. will the screens work or will manual queues be requested? will the letter arrive in the online system but not by post, or by post but not in the online system? will a letter appear in the online system on the date it says, or randomly appear 3 weeks later?) seems to vary in all cases), a bit creaky system, but could be worse. Gets the job done reasonably efficiently in the end.
Trying to cut corners a little bit and provide the minimum information possibly backfired a bit, probably would have been better to be more thorough and lean more towards extra information in the first place.

john

Re: Getting Permanent Residence

Post by john » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:58 pm

Congratulations Britkid! Welcome to the club.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

StrawberryHeartsForever

Post by StrawberryHeartsForever » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Congrats! I found they also asked again for things that I had already provided. I think they were stalling as they had a huge backlog at the time (period between Piñera and Bachelet´s changeover). Mine took 7 months in all. So 5 months is good!

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks for your comments. So, I do have a few questions. Basically would just appreciate someone confirming correct please.

Is it true what I was told about never taking the certificate while travelling and no need to stick it in my passport? Travel in and out the country with passport with nothing in it to prove residency + RUT card. Certificate left at home? Agreed?

Can you think of any time or place I might need to have the certificate on me, or can I always leave it at home?

And, permanent, means forever right? There is no end date on it, so I just need to keep renewing my RUT card every 5 years same as a Chilean? Is this correct? If I don't apply to be a citizen, and they don't change the rules, I could in theory stay in Chile for the next 20 or 30 or 40 years, with only a short carnet-renewing visit to my local registro civil every 5 years, without ever going back to extranjeria again? Is this right?

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Britkid wrote:Thanks for your comments. So, I do have a few questions. Basically would just appreciate someone confirming correct please.

Is it true what I was told about never taking the certificate while travelling and no need to stick it in my passport? Travel in and out the country with passport with nothing in it to prove residency + RUT card. Certificate left at home? Agreed?

Can you think of any time or place I might need to have the certificate on me, or can I always leave it at home?

And, permanent, means forever right? There is no end date on it, so I just need to keep renewing my RUT card every 5 years same as a Chilean? Is this correct? If I don't apply to be a citizen, and they don't change the rules, I could in theory stay in Chile for the next 20 or 30 or 40 years, with only a short carnet-renewing visit to my local registro civil every 5 years, without ever going back to extranjeria again? Is this right?
While it may not be required, I always have my certificate with me when I travel outside Chile...better safe than sorry.

Yes, subject to a change in the law, permanent does means forever. And, yes, only your carnet needs to be renewed every five years. Of course, if immigration paranoia (such as currently exists in the EU and US) were to be present, then all bets would be off. :wink:
--- Bertrand Russell

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:01 pm

I never bring the certificate when traveling outside Chile and have never had a problem. Probably more than 50 trips so far.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:50 pm

I never carry the certificate. Too much bother if it gets lost. You are in the system anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:26 pm

couple observations, I need to post to keep newbies to chile from getting themselves in trouble:

1) this is for a very special case of someone related to a Chilean. We have never seen one of these rejected. We have seen the department of immigration mess up processing it, but never rejected. The basic reason is that rejecting such application would lead to major political messes.

If your not related to Chilean, you will need to work a bit harder on your motive for being here, document income in more detail, and so on.

2) you posted the application by mail. That means your in Santiago. Outside Santiago you need to go to the department of immigration.

3) sending all those major documents legalized from the start is required, and would have saved you a good deal of time. For most applications, if you do not send it legalized they will often just reject your application outright, perhaps without explanation of why it was rejected, and you will need to file all over again. Again, this is a special case of a family of a Chilean.

4) foreign marriage certificates need to be legalized. We often have had clients that just went and got remarried at the civil registry to make it a Chilean marriage. Sometimes faster and cheaper than chasing the documents around internationally .

5)
However, what they did is I sat in a room with the notary while I logged into my email for them, showing them that I had received the contract from a stated email address corresponding to the company, and that I had indeed sent it back signed. With this they were willing to notarise it. For around 20,000 or 30,000 if I recall.
that is just funny. Would not recommend people try this at home, but it was definitely a creative way around an absurd piece of bureaucracy (they really don't care about your income, when you have family, but they still make you prove it because it is in the rules).

6) the rule with immigration is provide way more information than they need, to give the bureaucrats nowhere to hide;or, put another way, provide sufficient cover for the bureaucrats to hide. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:45 pm

" Wow just read this back, this is a loooooong post. Get yourself a couple of empanadas and get settled in before reading it. Cancel the appointment you have an hour from now. OK, here goes: "

Man, I would rather have stayed in Australia than read all that as a guide to getting permy. I went the SpencerGlobal/Meat pie route. Worked a treat. Wife rings friend to confirm visa is ready, delivered 7 minutes later. Went to PDI, with pies (that they ordered and paid for) bit of a chin wag and gone with paper and yellow docket for 800 pesos (which they happily took care of). Sat for the ID photo shoot, it was delivered to me a week and a half later when the guy came for lunch. No bribing just a small town thing.

That said, Good on you Britkid and all the best for your time in Chile.

john

Post by john » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks for your input scandinavian and Donnybrook. Henceforth, I will leave my certificate at home when I travel outside the country.
--- Bertrand Russell

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 am

Everyone: do a freaking table of contents and clearly label what is what. I think a large portion that my residency then permanent residency went through so quickly (also probably less workload at the moment I did it.) You really have to make these things idiot proof since they'll just leaf through it and if they don't think something's there, they're not going to look at it a second time!

john

Post by john » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:25 pm

wiscondinavian wrote:Everyone: do a freaking table of contents and clearly label what is what. I think a large portion that my residency then permanent residency went through so quickly (also probably less workload at the moment I did it.) You really have to make these things idiot proof since they'll just leaf through it and if they don't think something's there, they're not going to look at it a second time!
Excellent advice!
--- Bertrand Russell