A Background Check situation

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

jibarosoy

A Background Check situation

Post by jibarosoy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:46 pm

Well dig this:

Fro a few years I worked in Chile, sometimes for months at a time, other times for a couple weeks. Since it was in-and-out, I never had a "RUT" or Chilean ID.

I am a US citizen. At present I work in Canada and am applying for Permanent Residence here. Immigration Canada is asking for a background check for the time I was in Chile. Of course there are no records, I never had any police or legal problems, but all authorities so far have refused any help, including writing a letter stating they cannot issue a "Certificado Antecedentes" without a RUT. I have talked with Policia de Investigaciones, the Chilean consulates in Vancouver and Chicago, local Carabineros in Rancagua, friends in Chile and my mom, and no one can help. Maybe one of you have a suggestion. But be quick, as I am under a deadline. Short of jumping on a plane I am running out of ideas.

You all have to admit, it's a pretty good story, eh? All true. Thanks

Gloria

Re: A Background Check situation

Post by Gloria » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

I'm afraid you'll miss your opportunity for a Canadian permanent residence status. If you never had a RUT while working in Chile, it means you worked illegally so no one will want to get involved with you. Well dig this......It's great to be young....... but young and dumb......that's another story.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

jibarosoy

Post by jibarosoy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Hello gloomy Gloria of the generation of common sense and wisdom, and wrong assumptions:
I was not required to have a work permit and I have never worked illegally anywhere; don't know why you would make that judgement. And dig this, I am 59 years old and my mom is 95.

It's raining!

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:47 pm

jibarosoy wrote:Hello gloomy Gloria of the generation of common sense and wisdom, and wrong assumptions:
I was not required to have a work permit and I have never worked illegally anywhere; don't know why you would make that judgement. And dig this, I am 59 years old and my mom is 95.

It's raining!
I am 59 years old
fifty-nine-years-young? You could have fooled me ! I thought you were a teenager by the sound of = Dig this= phrase to follow...

Jibaro/Guajiro sorry can not help you but, Buena Suerte !
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

jibarosoy

Post by jibarosoy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks Rickey-San! And doncha remember we said "dig it" a long long time ago? If it sounds like a teen that's very cool.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:39 pm

For anyone to give any suggestions you would have to explain how you were able to work legally for several years, in and out of the country and did not have an ID document of some sort. Your situation is certainly not the norm. With the little info you have given I doubt anyone can offer advice. But you seem to have gone through all possible government channels, so it is also doubtful anyone here could help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:36 pm

Fro a few years I worked in Chile, sometimes for months at a time, other times for a couple weeks. Since it was in-and-out, I never had a "RUT" or Chilean ID.
Unless you have some magic pixie dust, you were committing a crime in Chile. Potentially multiple crimes (illegally working, tax evasion, immigration, labor law violations, so on, and so on, and so on).

Even criminals need a RUT number in Chile. How the hell did you get by day to day?

That said, lot's of people hang out in Chile and work off the books without getting caught. Use to be easier, but still plenty around.

All that is hypothetical, as you were never caught, charged, and convicted.

In theory, they should be able to issue you something that states you have no record, of your record.

Which your problem is explaining what you did in Chile to Canada. Plenty of people live in Chile as tourist, and do absolutely nothing illegal other than watch the sunset. You might just try telling Canada you were a tourist, which technically it sounds like you were, and therefore they won't issue a police report (or something like that).

Other than that, about the only thing I would suggest is come to Chile, obtain a RUT, and request a police report. The kicker is, you might need to actually file for residency to get the RUT that will allow them to issue a police report, not just a temporary RUT for foreigners (tax payer ID number). Part of residency is being registered with the PDI.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jibarosoy

Post by jibarosoy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:08 pm

Seems to be a lot of unhappy, dark-side people at this site.

I went to Chile to supervise our Chilean sub-contractors. You don't have to get documents for that. I was not paid in Chile, don't owe taxes to Chile and I never broke a law.

So after being called a "dumb juvenile", a criminal, tax evader, immigration law breaker, labor law violator, a pixie-dust snorting fairy, and THEN being advised to LIE to authorities about what I did in order to get what I need, I have to ask, are you all for real?

Rickey-San, I would dump all these people and find a happier place. You, at least, sound like a nice fella.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Damn good popcorn (Chile origin, who knows if GMO contaminated) thread, thanks all :wink:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:15 pm

Considering the information (or lack of) which you provided, you can hardly blame anyone for getting it wrong. It would have been so easy to provide the information in your original post, especially considering you wanted us to hurry up with an answer. . You would be surprised how many people post on here who have done a list of illegal things and want help untangling the mess. They always start like you did, spoon feeding the information. You may not have liked the answers but the fault was in the question. Hope you sort it out.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:16 pm

I like the "pixie dust fairy" part... :lol: :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

Andres

Post by Andres » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:46 pm

I'll go with jibarosoy on this one; lot's of assumptions made, almost all (or all) were negative, instead of asking for data.
Yes , he did not give a lot of detail, but why should he need to? It was/is a straight-forward question.

(It might be the engineer in me that does not make assumptions, or is aware of them and documents them when necessary.)

I have no suggestion for him/her except for the idea to get the employer to write a statutory declaration that s/he was never required to obtain residence status when "working" in Chile short-term, therefore s/he never "lived" in Chile.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.