Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 am

I think one of the points of the interview is to ensure you really do live here and aren't just shopping for a passport.

So I suspect not being able to be contacted or to attend would be a huge black mark.

bigfort
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:18 am

dmwbmw2 wrote:I think one of the points of the interview is to ensure you really do live here and aren't just shopping for a passport.

So I suspect not being able to be contacted or to attend would be a huge black mark.
Sure, but no matter how much one is in Chile, not anyone can just let go of everything and attend an interview on the same day they get the invitation. Soo surely they are prepared for that.

A related question: What do they ask about duing the interviews? Is this something one should prepare for? (quiz on Chilean culture and politics?)

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20991
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm

citizenship wrote:
admin wrote:Very unusual, and the pdi interview is neither required nor standard. You may never be called for an interview of any sort.
Considering it's literally in the application form, I'm going to assume that you're misinformed despite the fact that you're literally paid to be informed about these types of things.
bigfort wrote:If one is called in, how much notice do they tend to give?
admin wrote:Very unusual, and the pdi interview is neither required nor standard. You may never be called for an interview of any sort.
Yeah, that's basically my question. I'll probably be abroad at the time for a couple of months, and I'd rather not spend another $800 so soon after leaving if possible. However, I would like to come back next summer for a friend's wedding so if I could somehow delay it...
I am 100% certain of this. A) not a requirement under the constitution. B) it is based on a rather stretched interpretation of some other immigration laws / administrative rules C) depends on how busy the local PDI office is. They really have better things to do. D) I personally received my own citizenship with no interview, along with dozens of clients that we have handled their citizenship (some hang around the forum), with no PDI interview involved.

Now, that said, sometimes they do want to interview you; but, there is no real set test. I have heard of them asking about everything from Chilean history to how the Chilean football team did last year. I guess the administrative rule just says they should ask questions, with no real guidance about what to ask or why.

I suppose, if for some reason you really seemed like you were engaging in some sort of fraud and they detected it, then you might have problems (e.g. turned out you were someone else); but, beyond that I am not really sure what authority they would have to deny you citizenship, if you complied with all other requirements based on some random interview questions.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bigfort
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm

admin wrote: Now, that said, sometimes they do want to interview you; but, there is no real set test. I have heard of them asking about everything from Chilean history to how the Chilean football team did last year. I guess the administrative rule just says they should ask questions, with no real guidance about what to ask or why.
That sounds horrible! I am originally from a soccer playing European country, but I have no interest in the sport and would likely fail any kind of sports question asked about the sports team of anything in any country. Even if there is nothing to worry about, i'll be nervous.

Would it be an idea to try to assemble lists of questions previously asked and study them? Or would this just be a waste of time?

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8058
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:03 pm

bigfort wrote:Would it be an idea to try to assemble lists of questions previously asked and study them? Or would this just be a waste of time?
My permanent residency interview was basically questions about my life history. The PDI division of extranjeros dude asked questions and typed my answers in a narrative format into a computer and then printed it out for me to review before the final save.

Would be good to hear of others permanent or citizenship interviews. Please don't be shy :)
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Exactly the same, wanted to know where I was born, lived, brought up, studied, what I did at work, why I wanted to be Chilean, why I waited 15 years after I was eligible. Really interested in why 4 of my 5 kids went back to Canada after growing up here and one stayed. Wanted to know about my granddaughter who is Chilean. What my wife did, whether she was Canadian also. Very casual and not like he was trying to trip me up.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 20991
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

bigfort wrote:
admin wrote: Now, that said, sometimes they do want to interview you; but, there is no real set test. I have heard of them asking about everything from Chilean history to how the Chilean football team did last year. I guess the administrative rule just says they should ask questions, with no real guidance about what to ask or why.
That sounds horrible! I am originally from a soccer playing European country, but I have no interest in the sport and would likely fail any kind of sports question asked about the sports team of anything in any country. Even if there is nothing to worry about, i'll be nervous.

Would it be an idea to try to assemble lists of questions previously asked and study them? Or would this just be a waste of time?
I could probably muddle through the Chilean football questions. I am terrified someone will ask me to sing the national anthem. It would come out just like the garbled / mumbled national anthem you hear on TV. :D
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

wineman12
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by wineman12 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 pm

No interview for me or questions of any kind.

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:33 pm

No, I didn't follow through because their offer was contingent on me joining the Colegio de Ingenieros and it was just too
Much of a hassle.

wineman12
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by wineman12 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Permanent residency

bigfort
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm

@dmwbmw2: If you got to speak abut the personal history of four kids -- how long did this interview take? Or was this something he/she could figure out by looking at your papers alone?

dmwbmw2
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm

About 45 minutes.

I did notice towards the end that he had a lot of info on his computer that wasn't in my application, i.e. The complete history of all my and my family's trips and visa changes, etc.

Post Reply