Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am

woops, accidentally posted to your post, rather than quoted. Try that again.
AndreaO wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm
Anyone else ever have a citizenship request rejected after they sent their original "certificado de permanencia definitiva" in to extranjeria? Or asked for a duplicate "certificado de PD" while their citizenship was being processed?
There is a whole lot more to applying for citizenship that simply sending in your certificate. I am not sure what you are asking?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 am

A few questions:

1. What is the date for when your citizenship is granted that is printed on the certificate you get? Is it after or before you pay the fee? I am asking because I have another citizenship and I am waiting for a permission from that country to obtain another citizenship. I have to receive the other country's permission before I receive Chilean citizenship for the other country's certificate to be valid. So I need to decide between applying for both in parallel and possibly delay payment for the Chilean citizenship, or whether I should wait for the permission first. The tricky part is that the permission is only valid for a limited period, so I have to obtain Chilean citizenship within that period. Should it come later than that, I would only be Chilean and lose my other citizenship. There is a way to extend that period, but it's a lot of bureaucracy.

2. When one gets called in to the PDI interview, do they give you a concrete time and date, and if so, how long ahead do they notify you? I wonder because I need to travel and need to plan for how alert I have to be about this.

3. There is the online system where one can see the current state of the application. Does that online system also show info about when the police interview is being scheduled? The reason I ask is that if I'm not home, my mail will arrive at the house where two elderly Chileans will be handling my mail and I'm slightly afraid that they may miss the notification. If I can see it all online, it won't be an issue.

------------

As for the thing about the certificate: If I understand the proceeding correctly, one first gets the application approved and then sends the permanent residency permit in. So have I understood correctly that in your case they changed their mind after they initially had accepted your application, @AndreaO?

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am

fkoev wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm
My bad, it looks like in Santiago now you just have to mail in the PD certificate, etc. to the same address as the application itself.
Were you ever called in to an interview?

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi all! Did anybody approved for citizenship for last months like rentier/retired (just with income from abroad)? How was it?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Follower2 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm
Hi all! Did anybody approved for citizenship for last months like rentier/retired (just with income from abroad)? How was it?
One of the requirements for citizenship is to show tax declarations. You can declare and pay them as a self-employed – by issuing "boletas de honorario" to a placeholder RUT for foreign clients. Get a consultation from an accountant for the details.

See IV-3 here (Honorarios):
http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/2016/01/NCH-1.pdf

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 am

By your link:
Category #4 don't need this, right?

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:39 am

Follower2 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 am
By your link:
Category #4 don't need this, right?
Yes, I missed the "retired" word in your message and assumed you are talking about more "active" income from abroad.

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Anybody applied for citizenship last months?
Let's specify the case since first temporaria stamped in passport:
1) 2 years inside Chile
2) 1 year outside Chile (prorroga granted by consulate)
3) 2 years inside
Am I eligible to apply for citizenship? Or need 1 more year to be in?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:08 am

your time should be fine to apply.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:36 am

admin wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:08 am
your time should be fine to apply.
Thank you for your respond. Do you have any oficial proof about how they count this days / years? Extranjeria circullars?
There is no Certificado de viajes in the list of requirements http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/201 ... CC%81n.pdf

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am

Just been to Chilean consulate in my home country. They said: once you left Chile for more then 6 continuous months - you lose all qualification time for citizenship. Sadly

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 am

Consulates aren’t Extranjería though, better check the actual law.