Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

dmwbmw2

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Exactly the same, wanted to know where I was born, lived, brought up, studied, what I did at work, why I wanted to be Chilean, why I waited 15 years after I was eligible. Really interested in why 4 of my 5 kids went back to Canada after growing up here and one stayed. Wanted to know about my granddaughter who is Chilean. What my wife did, whether she was Canadian also. Very casual and not like he was trying to trip me up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:02 pm

bigfort wrote:
admin wrote: Now, that said, sometimes they do want to interview you; but, there is no real set test. I have heard of them asking about everything from Chilean history to how the Chilean football team did last year. I guess the administrative rule just says they should ask questions, with no real guidance about what to ask or why.
That sounds horrible! I am originally from a soccer playing European country, but I have no interest in the sport and would likely fail any kind of sports question asked about the sports team of anything in any country. Even if there is nothing to worry about, i'll be nervous.

Would it be an idea to try to assemble lists of questions previously asked and study them? Or would this just be a waste of time?
I could probably muddle through the Chilean football questions. I am terrified someone will ask me to sing the national anthem. It would come out just like the garbled / mumbled national anthem you hear on TV. :D
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:47 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:Exactly the same, wanted to know where I was born, lived, brought up, studied, what I did at work, why I wanted to be Chilean, why I waited 15 years after I was eligible. Really interested in why 4 of my 5 kids went back to Canada after growing up here and one stayed. Wanted to know about my granddaughter who is Chilean. What my wife did, whether she was Canadian also. Very casual and not like he was trying to trip me up.
Looks like he was more interested about your personal life than asking you about Bernardo O'Higgins or Lautaro, how many stars the Chilean flag has :D , if Arica belongs to Chile or what "taiweón" means....... So at the end dmwbmw2, did you become a "roto chileno" with a stamp of approval?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:28 pm

No interview for me or questions of any kind.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:33 pm

No, I didn't follow through because their offer was contingent on me joining the Colegio de Ingenieros and it was just too
Much of a hassle.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:50 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:No, I didn't follow through because their offer was contingent on me joining the Colegio de Ingenieros and it was just too
Much of a hassle.
I understand. Maybe you should try again in a year or so. You may get someone else in the interview
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:55 pm

wineman12 wrote:No interview for me or questions of any kind.
Did you apply for the citizenship or drivers license?

wineman12

Post by wineman12 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Permanent residency

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:04 pm

@dmwbmw2: If you got to speak abut the personal history of four kids -- how long did this interview take? Or was this something he/she could figure out by looking at your papers alone?

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm

About 45 minutes.

I did notice towards the end that he had a lot of info on his computer that wasn't in my application, i.e. The complete history of all my and my family's trips and visa changes, etc.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Interesting. I believe they used to have the info about my trips the border guards computers. But last time I came in, about a month ago, I had switched passports, and after flciking through all pages of my passport, the border guard asked me how i left the country. I told him an approximate date, but added that I wasn't sure and said that surely this was to be found in his system. He answered that it wasn't there unless I had "antecedentes". Maybe they only have it for temporary residents.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 pm

wineman12 wrote:Permanent residency
Well, permanent residency is not the same as getting citizenship, read the thread.