Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by admin » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:34 pm

If it is just the engineering registration issue, he need to file a notarized declaration with the Engineering association stating that he understands that if he wants to practice he needs to apply for a license. He then needs to file an appeal, explaining the problem.

If it is really just the stupid engineering license thing, it is relatively fixable, and hardly grounds for denying citizenship. It is a relatively minor bureaucratic infraction, and I am rather surprised they would deny someone simply over that (if I could be surprised with anything that they do at immigration). Come on? I practice engineering without a license every time I pick up a hammer and nails (which is likely just another good argument for such a law).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

admin wrote: I practice engineering without a license every time I pick up a hammer and nails
That's what's called "Jack of all trades and master of none" :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

citizenship

Post by citizenship » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:01 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote: Put in my application and 6 weeks later was called to a PDI interview.
Is this pretty standard, as far as the forumites knowledge goes? What happens if you're abroad when the PDI interview is supposed to happen?

I still haven't left, and looks like I'll be applying directly here in Santiago, but planning my immediate escape XD

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:36 pm

Very unusual, and the pdi interview is neither required nor standard. You may never be called for an interview of any sort.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 am

admin wrote:Very unusual, and the pdi interview is neither required nor standard. You may never be called for an interview of any sort.
WTF? I was called in for an interview for PD. Nothing threatening as it goes but it seemed it was a normal step in the process. So for citezenship, not out of the question IME.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:48 am

If one is called in, how much notice do they tend to give?

citizenship

Post by citizenship » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 am

admin wrote:Very unusual, and the pdi interview is neither required nor standard. You may never be called for an interview of any sort.
Considering it's literally in the application form, I'm going to assume that you're misinformed despite the fact that you're literally paid to be informed about these types of things.
bigfort wrote:If one is called in, how much notice do they tend to give?
Yeah, that's basically my question. I'll probably be abroad at the time for a couple of months, and I'd rather not spend another $800 so soon after leaving if possible. However, I would like to come back next summer for a friend's wedding so if I could somehow delay it...

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:13 am

I think one of the points of the interview is to ensure you really do live here and aren't just shopping for a passport.

So I suspect not being able to be contacted or to attend would be a huge black mark.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:18 am

dmwbmw2 wrote:I think one of the points of the interview is to ensure you really do live here and aren't just shopping for a passport.

So I suspect not being able to be contacted or to attend would be a huge black mark.
Sure, but no matter how much one is in Chile, not anyone can just let go of everything and attend an interview on the same day they get the invitation. Soo surely they are prepared for that.

A related question: What do they ask about duing the interviews? Is this something one should prepare for? (quiz on Chilean culture and politics?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm

citizenship wrote:
Considering it's literally in the application form, I'm going to assume that you're misinformed despite the fact that you're literally paid to be informed about these types of things.
bigfort wrote:If one is called in, how much notice do they tend to give?
Yeah, that's basically my question. I'll probably be abroad at the time for a couple of months, and I'd rather not spend another $800 so soon after leaving if possible. However, I would like to come back next summer for a friend's wedding so if I could somehow delay it...
I am 100% certain of this. A) not a requirement under the constitution. B) it is based on a rather stretched interpretation of some other immigration laws / administrative rules C) depends on how busy the local PDI office is. They really have better things to do. D) I personally received my own citizenship with no interview, along with dozens of clients that we have handled their citizenship (some hang around the forum), with no PDI interview involved.

Now, that said, sometimes they do want to interview you; but, there is no real set test. I have heard of them asking about everything from Chilean history to how the Chilean football team did last year. I guess the administrative rule just says they should ask questions, with no real guidance about what to ask or why.

I suppose, if for some reason you really seemed like you were engaging in some sort of fraud and they detected it, then you might have problems (e.g. turned out you were someone else); but, beyond that I am not really sure what authority they would have to deny you citizenship, if you complied with all other requirements based on some random interview questions.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm

admin wrote: Now, that said, sometimes they do want to interview you; but, there is no real set test. I have heard of them asking about everything from Chilean history to how the Chilean football team did last year. I guess the administrative rule just says they should ask questions, with no real guidance about what to ask or why.
That sounds horrible! I am originally from a soccer playing European country, but I have no interest in the sport and would likely fail any kind of sports question asked about the sports team of anything in any country. Even if there is nothing to worry about, i'll be nervous.

Would it be an idea to try to assemble lists of questions previously asked and study them? Or would this just be a waste of time?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:03 pm

bigfort wrote:Would it be an idea to try to assemble lists of questions previously asked and study them? Or would this just be a waste of time?
My permanent residency interview was basically questions about my life history. The PDI division of extranjeros dude asked questions and typed my answers in a narrative format into a computer and then printed it out for me to review before the final save.

Would be good to hear of others permanent or citizenship interviews. Please don't be shy :)
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat