Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

wineman12

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by wineman12 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:43 am

You are correct. Sorry

fkoev

Post by fkoev » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Since it's possible that I'll be out of the country when my citizenship is approved, would anyone happen to know whether it's possible to have a friend drop off my documents for me (permanencia definitiva certificate, proof of payment, certificate of antecedentes, etc.)?

Also, does anyone happen to know how long they are taking to process the naturalization certificates after one has paid and turned in their PD certificate? It sounds like it used to be 6-8 months but admin said that he waited over a year and a half with no luck... have you received your certificate yet?

fkoev

Post by fkoev » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm

My bad, it looks like in Santiago now you just have to mail in the PD certificate, etc. to the same address as the application itself.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:27 pm

New requirement as per new PDF on extranjeria.gob.cl: Basically a translated and verified paper showing your criminal record (or lack thereof) from your previous home country.

AndreaO

Post by AndreaO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:22 am

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:24 pm
Citizenship application comes to a dead stop

Put in my application and 6 weeks later was called to a PDI interview. It went well and the official said his review would. be positive. During the interview he discussed my job and he asked if I was an engineer. I said No, I had a BASC (Applied Sciences)degree from Canada which was an engineering degree but had never worked as an engineer and was working as a consultant only.

In Canada you need to do a general and ethics exam to work as a Professional engineer and then pay a lot of money every year and it never made sense to me there nor here.

So to my surprise 6 weeks after the interview I got a letter saying all was good and all I needed to do was pay 18.150 CP and enroll in the Colegio de Ingenieros. Theoretically this might be possible but it would be difficult, time consuming and expensive.

I wrote back explaining that I did not work as an engineer and asked if they could waive this requirement as it is not a stipulation that one needs any particular education or inscription in professional organizations. I didn't mention that I would be retired long before I could make this happen.

That request was rejected and I dont think it's worth appealing. Certainly I'm not going to try to do such a useless thing, so that ends that.

I guess I should have known this is how things would work out, one way or another.
If they reject your request for citizenship after you've done the interview with PDI and paid the fee, do they return the "certificado de permanencia definitiva"?

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am

They never took away my certificado.

So far i have had no repercussions to having abandoned the citizenship process in mid course.

This being Chile of course i keep expecting it to come back and bite me.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am
They never took away my certificado.

So far i have had no repercussions to having abandoned the citizenship process in mid course.

This being Chile of course i keep expecting it to come back and bite me.
I still think it is worth appealing. Had nothing to do with your immigration status, or your work, or anything of that nature.

I am pretty sure there is nothing in the constitution that blocks none-practicing engineers from being citizens of Chile.

In fact, even if you were some sort of criminal under the table shady engineer (and chile has plenty), until you are convicted, it still would probably not be grounds to deny you citizenship.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

AndreaO

Post by AndreaO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Anyone else ever have a citizenship request rejected after they sent their original "certificado de permanencia definitiva" in to extranjeria? Or asked for a duplicate "certificado de PD" while their citizenship was being processed?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 am

woops, accidentally posted to your post, rather than quoted. Try that again.
AndreaO wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 pm
Anyone else ever have a citizenship request rejected after they sent their original "certificado de permanencia definitiva" in to extranjeria? Or asked for a duplicate "certificado de PD" while their citizenship was being processed?
There is a whole lot more to applying for citizenship that simply sending in your certificate. I am not sure what you are asking?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:49 am

A few questions:

1. What is the date for when your citizenship is granted that is printed on the certificate you get? Is it after or before you pay the fee? I am asking because I have another citizenship and I am waiting for a permission from that country to obtain another citizenship. I have to receive the other country's permission before I receive Chilean citizenship for the other country's certificate to be valid. So I need to decide between applying for both in parallel and possibly delay payment for the Chilean citizenship, or whether I should wait for the permission first. The tricky part is that the permission is only valid for a limited period, so I have to obtain Chilean citizenship within that period. Should it come later than that, I would only be Chilean and lose my other citizenship. There is a way to extend that period, but it's a lot of bureaucracy.

2. When one gets called in to the PDI interview, do they give you a concrete time and date, and if so, how long ahead do they notify you? I wonder because I need to travel and need to plan for how alert I have to be about this.

3. There is the online system where one can see the current state of the application. Does that online system also show info about when the police interview is being scheduled? The reason I ask is that if I'm not home, my mail will arrive at the house where two elderly Chileans will be handling my mail and I'm slightly afraid that they may miss the notification. If I can see it all online, it won't be an issue.

------------

As for the thing about the certificate: If I understand the proceeding correctly, one first gets the application approved and then sends the permanent residency permit in. So have I understood correctly that in your case they changed their mind after they initially had accepted your application, @AndreaO?

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am

fkoev wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm
My bad, it looks like in Santiago now you just have to mail in the PD certificate, etc. to the same address as the application itself.
Were you ever called in to an interview?

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Hi all! Did anybody approved for citizenship for last months like rentier/retired (just with income from abroad)? How was it?