Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Follower2

Re: Citizenship, new requirement for time in country

Post by Follower2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:08 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Extranjeria and PDI said this had no affect on my qualification time for citizenship,
WOW! Which year it was?
Do you have any official paper describing that???

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Thought I had answered, but seems it was lost....

I was out of the country 2012-2013 and applied for citzenship in 2014.

They only said verbally that the absence was not relevant.

The application was approved after an interview and then about 4 months wait.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Follower2 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 am
Do you have one? Nothing specified there!
There's nothing about the time out of the country in the citizenship simulator:
https://extranjeria.chilesinpapeleo.cl/home/index

And also nothing in the official requirements from Extranjería's page about naturalization:
http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/media/201 ... CC%81n.pdf

You lose your Permanencia Definitiva if you've been out of Chile for more than a year but that's it. If your PD is active and you got your first long-stay visa more than 5 years ago, then you can apply.

I'd recommend not to ask random people in Chile for legal advice, even if they work in some related department. We just got into the same trouble while trying to workaround the diploma requirement for a driving license: a lady at the reception said that they will accept a translation but her boss rejected it later because the law doesn’t allow it.

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:52 am

Space Cat wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Follower2 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:27 am
Do you have one? Nothing specified there!
If your PD is active and you got your first long-stay visa more than 5 years ago, then you can apply.
The most stupid thing - that especially this question unregulated! But, basen on TopicStarter experience and consulate words, not so easy to manage this. That's why I'm looking for real practice!

musicguy

Post by musicguy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Just got off the phone with the extranjería... As of 12 oct 2018 they're saying it'll take 2-3 years to get Citizenship. When I started the process two years ago they told me it would take 1-2 years. Wow, nuts...

Follower2

Post by Follower2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:01 am

musicguy wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 pm
Just got off the phone with the extranjería...
How much time did you spend out of country?

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am

Citizenship interview questions:

1. Name a Chilean dance - "Cumbia Chilena" seems to have been accepted although I am aware that was a really stupid answer.

2. Say something about Chilean history - I mentioned the basic change of power from Allende until today. That seems to have been ok.

3. What else do you know about Chile? I mentioned Pinochet administrations relation to the Malvinas question and the conflict with Bolivia about access to the sea. But then also that Chile now in many ways associates with Mercosur and in that way is in many ways an ally of neighboring countries. And then before the officer had time to invent more questions about things I potentially didn't know, I just started babbling about the differences in climatic zones and how they compare to various parts of Europe and what is grown where and that there is more Argentinean influence in the South, etc. . I went on for maybe 5-10 minutes like that. Then I stopped and there were no more questions.

I am not sure any of this had any influence on what the officer filled out, given that the officer spent the time of the interview copying a form I had filled out at home into the computer. Eventually the officer did say "I listened to you when you were talking about Chilean history" as if to ensure me that I hadn't just been talking to myself.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 am

bigfort wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 am
Citizenship interview questions:

1. Name a Chilean dance - "Cumbia Chilena" seems to have been accepted although I am aware that was a really stupid answer.
Cumbia chilena? That´s a new one for me since "la cumbia" was born in Colombia. Why not a "ranchera chilena", let´s give it a little taco flavor to the dance. :lol:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:03 am

It has a Wikipedia entry, so it is a real thing: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbia_chilena :)

In the end all dances, foods, music styles are combining + inventing a bit of traditions that come from other places. But yes, I realize there could have been better answers to that one. The point is, the officer did not seem to mind it.

bigfort

Post by bigfort » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 am

As for time: I sent in the application in early January. First interview was scheduled in August but I told them I couldn't so they let me choose a time instead. I chose yesterday. Yesterday they then told me it usually takes 9 more months for the process to finish, but it could be much earlier than that.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 am

bigfort wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 am
As for time: I sent in the application in early January. First interview was scheduled in August but I told them I couldn't so they let me choose a time instead. I chose yesterday. Yesterday they then told me it usually takes 9 more months for the process to finish, but it could be much earlier than that.
Good for you! you are a brave man among "the brave ones". :D Goood luck!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.