Temporary RUT for Foreigners Change (NOT VISA RELATED)

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: Temporary RUT for Foreigners Change (NOT VISA RELATED)

Post by admin » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 am

I should clarify "representation".

Beyond the initial requesting your RUT number work, the IRS contacts us regarding your situation for whatever reason, and we do our best to contact you with the notice. This absolutely does not include any other form of work beyond a brief explanation in English regarding the nature of the notice.

So, say the IRS contacts us, regarding your tax situation. For example, like our other client, that they were formally auditing because of the source of income was not clear in their system. We notify you with a brief explanation. Then it is up to you to deal with it. If you would like our help with additional services to represent you before the IRS or whatever other work, that would be charged at our standard rates.

Just to be clear. Buying a car, buying a property, forming a company, helping with SII audits, or whatever are all billed in addition to our fees for helping you obtain RUT.

I know that all that seems rather obvious to many, but I always get one or two people after the fact expecting us to work forever for free.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

anitacripps

Post by anitacripps » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:35 pm

admin wrote:I should clarify "representation".

Beyond the initial requesting your RUT number work, the IRS contacts us regarding your situation for whatever reason, and we do our best to contact you with the notice. This absolutely does not include any other form of work beyond a brief explanation in English regarding the nature of the notice.

So, say the IRS contacts us, regarding your tax situation. For example, like our other client, that they were formally auditing because of the source of income was not clear in their system. We notify you with a brief explanation. Then it is up to you to deal with it. If you would like our help with additional services to represent you before the IRS or whatever other work, that would be charged at our standard rates.

Just to be clear. Buying a car, buying a property, forming a company, helping with SII audits, or whatever are all billed in addition to our fees for helping you obtain RUT.

I know that all that seems rather obvious to many, but I always get one or two people after the fact expecting us to work forever for free.
How many days would it take to process the paperwork? We are in Santiago now and are very keen to get a RUT number so we can buy a car.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 am

2 to 3 biz days typically once we have the poa. We often can do it the same day depending on our work load and logistical issues, 2-3 to be on the safe side.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:26 pm

I obtained a RUT on my tourist visa fecha emision 21/01/2014. I never gave any thought to how long the validity of the RUT was. Did it expire with my tourist visa? If my address in Chile has changed will it require new application?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:00 am

The RUT is good indefinitely. It only get's canceled if you for example apply for residency, and are issued a different RUT number.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:06 am

By the way, I'm good enough with RUN - the number of Chilean ID.
Internet stores, doctor offices, couriers and postmen are accepting it without a problem.

Spudzilla

Post by Spudzilla » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:19 pm

admin wrote:The RUT is good indefinitely. It only get's canceled if you for example apply for residency, and are issued a different RUT number.
Thanks Admin, one less problem to worry over. :D

papageno

Post by papageno » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm still new here--why would a courier need your RUT/RUN? Apparently, the list of transactions requiring same is too long for anyone to list here, does anyone know where I could look? ( Never been asked for it in a restaurant, gas station, kiosko or supermarket)

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:14 pm

papageno wrote:I'm still new here--why would a courier need your RUT/RUN? Apparently, the list of transactions requiring same is too long for anyone to list here, does anyone know where I could look? ( Never been asked for it in a restaurant, gas station, kiosko or supermarket)
I'm puzzled myself. I have no idea what he's talking about either. Sometimes at the PO they ask you for your ( RUT in my case as a citizen and RUN in a foreigners case ) to speed up the process but not always. Stores sometimes they ask for it as well to keep track of your shopping but is optional. Banks on the other hand they always require an ID (which is logical). However as I told you once b4, never leave home without it.
I want to go a little further by saying that hubby had a RUN # as a temporary resident but once he got his residency his RUN # changed. He got a card just like mine with his name, last name, sex, nationality, date of birth, date of when the card was issued and when the card will expire. Valid for 5 years.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

papageno

Post by papageno » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 pm

Indeed, I wouldn't. :salut:
In case anyone wondered, on the occasions mentioned, they were all single transactions, cash or U.S. credit card. No Chile account involved.

georgem

Post by georgem » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:57 pm

There is another way to get this RUT number, without getting a Chilean to vouch for you at the SII office. I did this to get a RUT to buy a car in May of this year. I went to the SII office and explained that I needed a RUT to buy a car and didn't have a someone to sign for me. They told me I could show them a "Contracto de Arrienda" (which is an official document from a local Registro Civil office), which gives them my address where I was staying in Chile. And they wanted to see from this document that I was going to be in Chile for at least 6 months. To get this document I got the owner of the place I was staying to go with me to the local Registro Civil Office, and they issued this contract to me without problem. The owner allowed the term of the contract to be 6 months, which is important. I was on a tourist visa, but they still wanted to see a long term contract.

Then I went straight the SII office and got my RUT. Then I bought my car. It was all very easy once I had this "Contracto de Arrienda". I did this at the SII office in San Antonio.

This was just my experience, and posting in case it works for anyone else.

George