U.S. citizens, your immigration reciprocity fee is back

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

U.S. citizens, your immigration reciprocity fee is back

Post by admin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:52 am

Chile has started charging again U.S. citizens for temporary residency immigration applications.

Well, this is very preliminary, and we are investigating how this happened, who signed the order at the department of immigration, and for what reason.

Fees for immigration were eliminated under the U.S. / Chile free trade agreement some years ago. Other than some small charges for processing, there were no other fees for U.S. citizens. That seems to have suddenly changed. We suspect this somehow has to do with the visa waiver program for Chileans (fix one problem, and create 10 more kind of thing), but still not certain why this happened.

Here is what we know so far:

1) this applies to initial temporary residency applications.

2) they are charging around 300,000 pesos (about U.S. $500-600) to American citizens applying for temporary residency. We have two clients so far that have been charged this, but as yet to pay as we are filing complaints with the department of immigration.

3) supposedly the order is in the pipeline, not finalized, but somehow immigration has decided to start charging it.

4) We were told by our contacts at immigration to file a complaint about it, and the department of immigration had been withdrawing the charge for people that complain about it. Which is even stranger, and what about all the people that don't know better.

This appears, on the surface, from what we know so far to be illegal. This was a treaty approved by both congresses, that explicitly eliminates such fees for immigration under such principles as the free movement of people and services between the countries. An administrative ministry level desk jockey does not get to over-ride an international treaty, without a really good reason. Even if there is a good reason, sometimes applying it and half implementing it does not fly legally either.

Hoping this is just some moron at the department of immigration that does not know better, and will be corrected shortly.

In the meantime, anyone that is charged this fee, please report back to us. The more real world cases we know about and can document, the easier it is for us to lobby for the elimination.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Re: U.S. citizens, your immigration reciprocity fee is back

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:49 am

This was in the Mercurio a while ago. I looked at the pdf for the charges and the one for Brits, already the highest, has shot up. I think it was around US$1200 now. The newspaper said the change (they only referred to the US charge, I think) had been implemented by Extranjería. I am trying to remember when. I remember that it was very recent.

AntofaPhilly

Post by AntofaPhilly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:53 pm

I finally got my tarjeta especial de trabajo con residencia en trámite day. They told me to return five days before it expires in July to collect my visa, and at that point I would have to pay the fee. I followed up and asked, and they said as of March whatever, all US citizens have to pay the fee. FYI: I am in Antofagasta.

jistoner

Post by jistoner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:59 am

Does anyone know if this will be for permanent residents as well?

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:07 am

No, you don't pay the fee as a permanent resident.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 19, 2015 10:23 am

O.k. quick update on this. After April 1st, first time temporary residency visas granted to American Citizens will have to pay the equivalent fee of $470 U.S. in pesos.

We managed to challenge this for several of our client's that had their visa granted before April 1st, and have it removed. Now it covers everyone.

If you wish to challenge this, I suggest you go protest out front of the U.S. embassy. Immigration blames it on the U.S.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

moving_from_colorado

Post by moving_from_colorado » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:27 am

i was an unlucky person who just got charged and went ahead and paid the fee without pushing back even though i thought it was supposed to be free. my girlfriend is now looking at potentially applying for a temporary visa and her employer is telling her there is no cost.....is this still being charged? can i file a protest after i paid? my approval and fee were issued dated april 23.

moving_from_colorado

Post by moving_from_colorado » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:29 am

and another related question to this new fee system. admin, what is your take if someone with a subject to contract visa were to change jobs before the 2 year visa period was up? would we then have to pay the visa fee a second time?

deetz

Post by deetz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi Everyone! I am in Valparaiso in a similar situation. I applied on February 24th and was told to come back at the end of may to get my new cedula. I had a temporary resident visa last year (Feb 2014-15) and was applying for another one. I was surprised when I heard about the 388.000 peso charge. I'm now trying to leave Chile for a family emergency. MY question- do I have to pay this charge to exit the country? Who should I talk to in extranjeria or at the US embassy?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:06 am

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ENTRY OR EXIT FEES AT THE AIRPORT!!!!

this is only in relation to applying for residency.