2014 - Help? Process for import or purchase guns in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: 2014 - Help? Process for import or purchase guns in Chil

Post by admin » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:52 pm

By the way, for those that feel the need for a gun for self-defense in chile, there is something you need to think long and hard about.

If you ever pull a gun to shoot a Chilean, under any circumstances, you need to evaluate if pulling that trigger is going to really make you safer. Not the little immediate picture, in a "my life is in danger" sort of evaluation. I mean the big, big picture.

Because, if you pull a gun, as a foreigner, to shoot a Chilean, unless you are in completely unambiguous circumstances that anyone would read as 'the sucker had it coming' (and perhaps not even then), your life in Chile is pretty much over. You will never be safe in this country again. There is a good chance the community backlash will put you and your family in danger. Someone, somewhere, is going to want to get even. Chileans are a fairly passive aggressive bunch too, so it will be something like your house burns down when your not home, something happens to your kid, and so on.

That is not even considering all the various legal implications. Just overall ability to continue your life as it was will pretty much be over.

What I worry about, is waking up some morning and seeing some gringo on the front page of the national papers, that shot some Chilean, in some stupid situation that was clearly not self-defense, and that snow-balling in to bigger political conversation about putting restrictions on foreigners living in the country; and I am not just talking guns. Things like Immigration, residency, citizenship, and so on. All because some moron thought he was dirty hairy when the neighbor tried to take off with his rake or something stupid, and decided to teach him a lesson.

So one foreigner pulling a trigger, can make life for all foreigners living in Chile really hard, really fast.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:19 am

admin wrote:
Ripsigg wrote:
admin wrote:fair warning to all, I am (very) mildly entertained by this thread, but this thing get's too stupid and I will pull the plug as I have with every thread on guns that drifts off in to the second amendment crap.
Is it the US Constitution that is crap or just the 2nd amendment or merely constitutional discussion?

I know most politicians think the Constitution is crap. :alien:
ahh hell, here we go. I end up doing this every time one of these threads pops up.

I have owned guns. Had a fairly impressive collection at 14 years old, for a 14 year old. Even was a member of the NRA for a little while (it was a free membership, came with a hunting license one year or something). I don't currently own a gun. Someday I might own a gun again. Currently not feeling the need to shoot anything or anyone.

As for the 2nd amendment, don't give a crap about the 2nd amendment. Far from the most clearly drafted piece of political writing, but could really care less about it all the way around. Even more impressive is the gun nuts care about it also. All they should care about is the law let's them have their guns. Where and how that law was scribbled, is neither here nor there. No one in the United States government has payed attention to anything in the constitution for a very long time, so why would you hang your political argument on the most ignored document in U.S. history?

That is exactly my problem with the whole discussion. It is the 8th grade book report quality of the discussion (on both sides), with some headline grabbing tag lines from various political parties thrown in to pretend it is some sort of adult conversation.

Guess what? None of it is even remotely related to Chile. The law allows you to have a certain, very limited number of guns, with lots of restrictions, and that is it.

If you don't like that, your really really not going to like Chile. From what I have seen, among the people that the gun laws are an issue when moving to Chile, the guns will just be the start of the reasons why you won't like Chile.
Does your use of the word "you" refer to me or is it a more general use of you? :alien:

I ask because I stated no opinion on the 2nd amendment. With 15 years living outside the US in various countries, I suspect I can get along in any country. Never felt the need to own a gun in any of those countries. I understand the English language does have problems with the word you since thee and thou went out of fashion. It just seems like you blew a gasket and are misplacing your anger onto me.

FYI, I was just asking clarification of your ambiguous statement about 2nd amendment crap. It's still somewhat ambiguous. Am i right in my conclusion that you don't like the 2nd amendment, you don't like 2nd amendment supporters, that you think American gun owners are prone to lapses in judgement, and US politicians don't respect the constitution and think it's crap?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 am

actually, never really had you particularly in mind.

More along the lines of "you" as in gesturing towards the last like 8+ years of Americans that call me up and are all outraged that they can not bring their howitzer to Chile. Most countries are not going to let them bring a howitzer as a foreigner. The fact that Chile let's a foreigner have a gun at all, is pretty impressive. On many levels, its easier for foreigners to get a gun permit in Chile than a driver's license; Yet, they still whine about it like Chile is violating their human rights or something. If you can't live without your gun collection, stay in the United States (that is who we are talking about after all, no other country breeds that sort of crazy fixation on guns).

After one of these sorts of threads on the forum years ago, I actually received a death threat in an email from some nut job that thought i was trying to take their guns away because I deleted a thread on gun ownership in Chile that turned super stupid. At least Chile has the good sense to give people a psychological test before issuing an ownership permit (for whatever that is worth).

I am not against guns. I am against crazy people owning guns. The United States has a lot of crazy people.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

svergas

Post by svergas » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:22 am

hlf2888 wrote:Those who need guns to feel safe should just stay in the US instead of trying to import their garbage values here.

First I am not from US, second do not feel the need to owe guns to feel safe. If i did would not live in that country.
BUT considering all that every country has dangerous people and it may come a time when you or anybody else for that matter will come to a point where he'she will call for a help from a guy carrying a firearm (police) BUT you should always remember that police carries firearms to protect their lives not yours.

Spencer
This thread was never about the 2nd. It started with a question how to import. I owe firearms for hunting and competitions and that was the reason i had them in Chile as well. Some people seem to think that firearms=criminals and that if regular people owe firearms crime will go through the roof. To me that is just ridiculous because i have owe them all my adult life and because of that live my life 100% straight. Every time a situation arise where a police can get involved i run like hell just to make sure i am not involved into anything that could get my licences suspended. Was never in altercation with anybody over anything. So rubs me the wrong way when people judge me for my hobbies and for the action of others rather than my own.

BUT here ti the kicker:
Chilean politicians decided to curb the crime so they will try to pass the law where all pellet guns, airsoft and sligshots need to be registered as well as regular firearms. They also want people to bring their empty shells in order to get permission to purchase more ammo.
Seems that the root cause of the issues (CRIMINALS) will not get touched.

I imported firearms and need to sort through my notes in order to write it up here.
IF the tread does not get locked i will post in next few days.

Cheers

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:14 am

svergas wrote:

Chilean politicians decided to curb the crime so they will try to pass the law where all pellet guns, airsoft and sligshots need to be registered as well as regular firearms. They also want people to bring their empty shells in order to get permission to purchase more ammo.
In the early '70s both Canada and Chile passed very similar laws restricting a number of weapons, such as those used in martial arts. I have always wondered about the coincidence.

EarthshipChile

Post by EarthshipChile » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 am

We have two guns in the house. One is a trusty remmington 870 shotgun, practical and used weekly for the odd rabbit or wildfowl. The other is a basic handgun, the type, I know not,it does not even have bullets. This has come in handy twice with opportunistic ladrones .. just making noise whilst holding the thing and trying to look like I know how to use it has frightened them off. Having said that, a baseball bat does the trick just as well. I realise that any opportunist may also be armed, however, having a gun and actually using one is quite a leap psycologically. Another thing is that these incident happened when wehad just bought the parcela, before we had built up good relationships with the neigbours, before having dogs, before all the buidling materials were actualy a building... etc
--
"A bibliophile of little means is likely to suffer often. Books don't slip from his hands but fly past him through the air, high as birds, high as prices."

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:40 am

I hate it on forums when suddenly a whole thread that's been going on for days gets completed deleted. Not sure what your take on it is on this forum, but if things start getting out of hand I prefer deletion of the last few offensive comments at the end, then locking the thread (i.e. leaving it up but blocking further comments on the thread). But it's not cool when you come back to a discussion you've been interested in, to find the comments you and other have put down have been deleted from history.

svergas

Post by svergas » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 am

frozen-north wrote:
svergas wrote:

In the early '70s both Canada and Chile passed very similar laws restricting a number of weapons, such as those used in martial arts. I have always wondered about the coincidence.
Canada does NOT have restriction on number of firearms. IT does have a list of prohibited which they do not want public to have. Idiocy of that was that they went to "Gun Diggest" and from the pictures of "scary" firearms picked one they did not like without actually checking what it is. Canada did prohibit some martial arts things like throwing stars, butterfly knives, etc.... Funny thing is that politicians did it when all those martial arts movies became popular and figured these things are dangerous because it looks like that on tv.

It is also funny to read about some of the current changers Chileans want to implement because some of them already exist in the law. Shows how much politicians actually know about current laws.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Ripsigg wrote: I know most politicians think the Constitution is crap. :alien:
More like toilet paper.

ExpatBob

Post by ExpatBob » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:10 pm

svergas wrote:Canada did prohibit some martial arts things like throwing stars, butterfly knives, etc.... Funny thing is that politicians did it when all those martial arts movies became popular and figured these things are dangerous because it looks like that on tv.
I would actually like to read a police report of someone being killed with a Ninja Star :) I doubt it has ever actually happened but then again, never underestimate weird+stupid.

EarthshipChile

Post by EarthshipChile » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:26 pm

If it is out there then someone has studied it... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20642255

Andrew
--
"A bibliophile of little means is likely to suffer often. Books don't slip from his hands but fly past him through the air, high as birds, high as prices."

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:31 pm

Exactly, Admin, that is why I want the gun afficionados to stay where they are. Or pollute some other country with their warped values.