2014 - Help? Process for import or purchase guns in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

nwdiver

Re: 2014 - Help? Process for import or purchase guns in Chil

Post by nwdiver » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:49 pm

Its difficult and handguns are not a requirement of life.......... get with your new countries policies and if the PDI read this rant your chance to have anything even a rimfire 22 will be 0......... Oh shotguns are easier to get, even 9 shot mossbergs ;)
It's all about the wine.

Andres

Post by Andres » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:03 pm

It doesn't matter what nwdiver thinks; he didn't say.
He is giving you advice of what PDI will think; it might be wise to listen. He has decades of experience regarding Chile.

(Before you get your knickers in a twist regarding my suggestion: I have been a shooter for decades but not in Chile.)
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

john

Post by john » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:53 pm

sookoon wrote: Let's not make this a debate about the benefit of guns, ok? It's off-topic - I know many europeans and blue-staters on this forum don't understand or agree with the benefit of private-citizen firearms ownership. Why should you? Europeans have been micro-managed subjects, and not citizens, for centuries, and blue-staters have long believed in a strong, centralized autocratic governments, and a disarmed, malleable populace. So, to keep this short, you respect my desire to own guns, and I'll respect your desire to be disarmed.
So why are you making inflammatory remarks about the issue? Both nw and Andres have already provided sound advice and I would add that making sweeping statements about Europeans and "blue-staters" is the antithesis of showing respect.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:01 pm

You forgot to insult the Australians.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:26 pm

sookoon wrote:Hello all! I know this question has been posed a few times in the past, but we all know that legal procedures can change over time, so I'll ask again - has anyone recently navigated the process for permanent visa-holders to import guns from a home-country, and/or the process for purchasing a gun in Chile? What is the process? Has anyone had any luck with bringing in, or purchasing, the Fabrique Nationale FiveSeven semiauto pistol?

Do your own homework:
http://www.dgmn.cl/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -ARMAS.pdf
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

john

Post by john » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:43 pm

sookoon wrote:My apologies to everyone; I had seen how previous discussions on the same subject had quickly devolved into a debate by supporters of both sides of the gun issue, and I was unduly forceful and devoid of tact. Please do accept my apologies. Perhaps seeing a quotation by Bertrand Russell in someone's signature could have set me off. Here's another one from Bertrand Russell:

“I do not pretend that birth control is the only way in which population can be kept from increasing. There are others, which, one must suppose, opponents of birth control would prefer. War, as I remarked a moment ago, has hitherto been disappointing in this respect, but perhaps bacteriological war may prove more effective. If a Black Death could be spread throughout the world once in every generation survivors could procreate freely without making the world too full. There would be nothing in this to offend the consciences of the devout or to restrain the ambitions of nationalists. The state of affairs might be somewhat unpleasant, but what of that? Really high-minded people are indifferent to happiness, especially other people’s.” Bertrand Russell, The Impact of Science on Society (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1953), pp.103-104.
Apologies accepted. I'm curious though...why have you chosen to quote that particular passage from Russell's book? I think, to provide proper context, you should also have also quoted the passage that precedes the one you referenced.

"The nations which at present increase rapidly should be encouraged to adopt the methods by which, in the West, the increase of population has been checked. Educational propaganda, with government help, could achieve this result in a generation. there are, however, two powerful forces opposed to such a policy: one is religion, the other is nationalism. I think it is the duty of all who are capable of facing facts to realize, and to proclaim, that opposition to the spread of birth control, if successful, must inflict upon mankind the most appalling depth of misery and degradation, and that within another fifty years or so."

The background for Russell's dire prognostication was one in which the views of Thomas Malthus (Malthusian theory of population growth) had gained wide-spread acceptance. As you know, Malthus hypothesized that unchecked population growth would quickly exceed carrying capacity leading to overpopulation and social problems (he postulated that population grew exponentially while food supply grew arithmetically).
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 pm

god, why would you want a gun? my wife suggested i get a gun just in case. i said , great a shootout at the front door. awesome. apart from that shyt there is not much to shoot at around here, rabbits.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:46 am

Donnybrook wrote:You forgot to insult the Australians.

and Canadians.......directly ;)
It's all about the wine.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:20 pm

sookoon wrote:
Gloria wrote:
sookoon wrote:Hello all! I know this question has been posed a few times in the past, but we all know that legal procedures can change over time, so I'll ask again - has anyone recently navigated the process for permanent visa-holders to import guns from a home-country, and/or the process for purchasing a gun in Chile? What is the process? Has anyone had any luck with bringing in, or purchasing, the Fabrique Nationale FiveSeven semiauto pistol?

Do your own homework:
http://www.dgmn.cl/wp-content/uploads/2 ... -ARMAS.pdf
Marvelous! Thanks for the link Gloria!
When you do go thru the process, please pass it on!. Hubby left behind several pieces that he would love to have and the way things are going, I would like to learn how to defend myself as well by blasting the "jewels" of the trespasser!! :mrgreen: :alien:
This passed weekend a woman was assaulted and robbed by 3 guys 4 steps away from the bank where she was going to deposit $12 millions!!!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

svergas

Post by svergas » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm

I did it.

In order to get them you need to read and write Spanish really well.

Need written exam, medical exam, clear background check. Do not even need to have permanent residence.
Can be done with temporary. For self defense you can purchase 2 firearms. If using for competition or hunting you can purchase additional. Also they have restrictions on how much ammo you can purchase. AND you can NOT get carrying permit. Self defense firearms can not even be taken to the shooting range. Strictly stay home.

I imported mine from canada and would not recommend anybody to do it. You have to pay for tons of permits and keep on paying every year.

Best would be to just purchase in Chile.

If somebody wants more info they can pm me.

Chile has very restrictive firearms laws for people that respect the law. Does not make too much difference to criminals.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:17 pm

svergas wrote: Chile has very restrictive firearms laws for people that respect the law. Does not make too much difference to criminals.
Exactly!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Gloria wrote:
svergas wrote: Chile has very restrictive firearms laws for people that respect the law. Does not make too much difference to criminals.
Exactly!

But on the other hand there are not 20,000,000 guns floating around for criminals to acquire.........
It's all about the wine.